Keep your body moving

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Keep your body moving

Post by Dan Worley »

I have something similar, Shoosh. I have my mix position set up so I have to stand to be in the sweet spot. This keeps me on my feet when I'm doing heavy mixing.
DP10.13
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Wylie Me too, I am a total ski bum, I work night so I can ski days, I live 30 minutes from the nearest ski area, but the one I go to is 45 minutes away, more steeps. I am adding a pair of Volkl Race Tiger GS skis to my collection this year for non powder days when I ski the front side.

Me

Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Exercise has been part of my habits, for so long now. I'm rather tall and very thin. Moderate level around 1h30 a day. Running, gym, yoga, Taï Chi, biking, swimming...
I see it as directly related to my musical expression ability. Exercise has turned to be a part of my job as a musician.

To make it (very) short, my experience is: low body, low expression.
If this seems an evidence on stage, I do consider it's exactly the same in studio.

Keep on moving!
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Maybe, as a singer I fell more concerned about this, for my body IS my instrument.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Just jumping around playing guitar sure takes allot more out of me than it use to.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I'm probably one of the most active keyboard players around. I ALWAYS play standing up, and I'm constantly in motion, sometimes practically dancing to the music without knowing it. I've watched videos of myself and think, "holy crap I'm crazy", but I think it's part of my musical energy, and the audience seems to love it too. But after a 3 hour dance gig, we'll finish our last tune and suddenly I'll realize how tired I am. I go to the gym 3 times a week and run for about 3 miles, but I've never felt more tired than after a gig.

My only big problem is my day job, as a video producer, I'm often planted in my chair for 8 hours or more, and I'm kind of the embodiment of Neuton's law "A body in motion will stay in motion, a body at rest will stay at rest", when I'm working at a computer, I'll be perfectly still for hours, which is no good.

But, now that I've been going to the gym 3 times a week, I feel a whole world of better. I love to run, though I'm terrible at it. When I started up again I could only do about a mile and a half, now I'm up to 3 miles a day and feel great. Don't want to run any more than that because I want to work on other things at the gym too. If I move to a warm climate (likely next year), I'll run outside every day.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Prime Mover wrote:My only big problem is my day job, as a video producer, I'm often planted in my chair for 8 hours or more, and I'm kind of the embodiment of Neuton's law "A body in motion will stay in motion, a body at rest will stay at rest", when I'm working at a computer, I'll be perfectly still for hours, which is no good.
Neuton's law. Funny! But yeah, working for hours at the computer without getting up and moving around is a big problem for a lot of people, and it can cause some very serious health issues.

If you can get up and move around, lunges and squats are some of the best exercises you can do for your legs, and the rest of your body. It's incredible how beneficial they are, and how fast they will get you into better condition. You'll notice a big improvement in your running, too.

You also need to loosen up your arms, neck and shoulders. Move them around. Get the blood and ENERGY flowing. Motion is lotion.

If you're stuck in your chair, there are a number of exercises you can do without anyone noticing. Take a look on YouTube, but make sure they're safe exercises that will not put too much strain on your back or any other part of your body.

Everyone should make sure to do exercises that are safe and appropriate for their age and current condition.

Keep moving.
DP10.13
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Glad you thought it was a joke...

...but my spelling just sucks.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

:koolaid:
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Prime Mover wrote: My only big problem is my day job, as a video producer, I'm often planted in my chair for 8 hours or more, and I'm kind of the embodiment of Neuton's law "A body in motion will stay in motion, a body at rest will stay at rest", when I'm working at a computer, I'll be perfectly still for hours, which is no good.
One of my jobs at work is to be an safety and ergonomics focal. primemover, it can be hard to sit all day, we have videos showing office workers the need to get up and stretch, with some good stretches.
I run computer controlled machines and I spend time on my feet working as well as at my desk so I get a good blend of activity.
Also Prime I have never been a good speller, I am thankful for MS Word and spell checking. :oops:
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I've gained 3 pounds. Yikes! I had better take this thread more seriously. :shock:
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.