Keep your body moving

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Keep your body moving

Post by Dan Worley »

Just a reminder to get up and move around. Stretch those muscles. Do some squats. Do some lunges. Run in place. Run outside. Throw some shadow punches for a couple of rounds. Raise your hands over your head and wave them around. Get on the floor and do some sit-ups. Move, move, move. Dance around like an idiot if you want. Whatever you're capable of, whatever you can do, even if you're physically challenged.

Take as many activity breaks as you can throughout the day. Even if they're just for a minute or two. They all add up. Get up and move around while you're listening back to your mixes. Don't be sedentary for hours in front of the monitor. It's very important to exercise your legs and the rest of your body to keep the muscles toned and the blood flowing nicely.

I pray you health.

Now I'll shut-up.
DP10.13
billf

Re: Keep your body moving

Post by billf »

Indeed.

There is a nice little app for OSX called Healthier that I use to remind to get up and take breaks. It's very easy to get caught up in things and forget to get up, move around, stretch, exercise, and all those good things. So I find it a nice reminder.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Let's do the Time Warp again!
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

My studio was built in the basement of my home. I have two Scottish terriers who hang with me all freakin' day. The coffee maker is upstairs in the kitchen. So is the bathroom, the mail, FedEx deliveries, etc.

I will let you guess at how many times a day I get out of my chair and do the stairs. :)
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Good reminder, Dan. It's something I forget to do all too often.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Almost time to break out the skis here.
I bought a Total gym a few years ago their a good little unit for the money doesn't take up to much space.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Help! I've started moving and can't stop!!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

I hit the gym at least 3 times a week. I run 6-10 kilometers (miles??) with my dog 5-7 times a week... every morning. Once you start the endorphin trip you can not stop. :) I lost weight too and feel almost "as fit" as when I was an athlete in my teens. I'm happy muscles do have a memory. :)
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I put on a Rush album, through a mixer with electronic drum pads & DM5, put on headphones and play along. I usually collapse before I go deaf.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I've been following your exploits on FB, Trish. The best thing about our upcoming move to the state of California will be the ability to ride my bike year round (I know guys who do that here in Indiana, but they're deranged).
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

A little over two years ago, when I was 56, I quit a 43-year smoking habit. One month before that, I switched to an all organic, vegan, gluten-free, oil-free diet. A lot of green juices. I love it and would never go back. It's one of the reasons I didn't gain any weight when I quit smoking. I could eat all I wanted without worry. I've never had any kind of weight problem, but when people quit smoking it's common for them to eat an incredible amount, and I surely did that. I was munching constantly for the first two months.

Once I started feeling better, I started working out an hour every day, except for Sundays. I focused a lot on core work and aerobics. I did that for over a year without missing a day. I kept getting stronger and stronger and was able to do exercises with ease that I thought I would never be able to do. Now I work out three or four days a week. I also run two or three miles three days a week. Nothing glorious, 9:20 miles on average, though when pushed I can get near 8:10 for one mile, but that takes it all out of me. Someday, though, I'll break the 8-minute mile. :)

I also like boxing, mostly because the stamina it takes is incredible. But my favorite thing is playing baseball. I love chasing down fly balls more than anything. I go to the park with my neighbor or my son and they hit me fly balls for two hours. What joy! It reminds me of when I was a kid pretending to be Willie Mays. Rain started today, though.

I'm 58, and I'm telling you guys, two and half years ago I thought the end was near. I'm so thankful to God things have turned around. I wish the same for anyone who is unhappy with or worried about their health, or just desires a healthier body and mind.

Keep moving and never give up.
DP10.13
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Radiogal wrote:I hit the gym at least 3 times a week. I run 6-10 kilometers (miles??) with my dog 5-7 times a week... every morning. Once you start the endorphin trip you can not stop. :) I lost weight too and feel almost "as fit" as when I was an athlete in my teens. I'm happy muscles do have a memory. :)

Love hearing this. And yes, muscles have memory. Long ones in my case. They know what they used to do, no matter how long ago it was. That is so incredibly amazing. I just love that.
DP10.13
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I here ya there Dan I'm 55 next month but very young at heart and mind so you really have no choice but to stay in shape so you don't feel like your trapped in an old body and diet has allot to do with how well you feel.
ouch! Honey Bo Bo just came to mind :shock:
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

wylie1 wrote:I here ya there Dan I'm 55 next month but very young at heart and mind so you really have no choice but to stay in shape so you don't feel like your trapped in an old body and diet has allot to do with how well you feel.
ouch! Honey Bo Bo just came to mind :shock:
Good for you for staying young at heart and mind and keeping active. Love to hear it. I'm a cranky old man a lot of the time. :mumble:

Yes, diet is extremely important. The old adage "you are what you eat" is true. When I first went vegan, I beat people over the head with it. Shame on me. People need to find what works best for them and their particular body. One type does not work for all. The vegan diet works for me, I thrive on it, but my partner (who was vegan for two years, and did everything right) has to have some meat in her diet or she gets seriously ill because not having it compromises her immune system. I've heard it said that people with type-O blood need to have meat and those with type-A do not. From what I've seen with others and experienced myself, that appears to be true, but I sure can't say it's a certainty, and I don't know about the other blood types.

We all can be careful with what we eat, though, and try to get the cleanest least-processed food we can, assuming it's affordable and available to us. But I won't go there because it's highly political.

Happy 55 in advance.
DP10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I built my desk for a tall stool so that I can sit or stand to play the keyboard. I write most of my posts while standing up. Just better that way. But I can always sit if I get tired. I've got an Aeron work-stool. Those things are wonderful! In fact, they encourage you to sit too much. So, I still stand, but I have to make myself!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|