I cannot keep up with all the new music genres

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: I cannot keep up with all the new music genres

Post by Shooshie »

But they've been naming styles after dance steps for centuries. If it's not a dance step, and not a musical form, then what is it?

I think Dubstep is something written by a guy named Dub. :lol:

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
groove

Post by groove »

You might want to check this webpage:
A very clever graph of all pop music sub-genres with bands and musical exemples to illustrate them.

http://www.furia.com/misc/genremaps/engenremap.html
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

That's the most amazing thing I've seen in the music business. Not only does it show all those styles, then play examples; if you click the arrows to the right side, it will take you to a page of known composers/recording artists for that style. Truly an amazing map of the whole output of Western Music. Probably with a bias toward American music, but I'm not certain of that.

This is the "Google Maps" of music.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Great map!
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Polish Reggae? I can't keep up either.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Funny, David's thought repeated on me these past few days and I was tempted to post it too.

I've got nothin' to add.

[EDIT] I really am a chump; no idea how to read or use that "map".

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

monkey man wrote:Funny, David's thought repeated on me these past few days and I was tempted to post it too.

I've got nothin' to add.

[EDIT] I really am a chump; no idea how to read or use that "map".
Monkey Man, I would have thought you meant to say "I really am a chimp",
as indicated by your avatar.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

David Polich wrote:
monkey man wrote:Monkey Man, I would have thought you meant to say "I really am a chimp",as indicated by your avatar.
A monkey claiming to be a chimp? That would be something of a boast, wouldn't it?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote:Polish Reggae? I can't keep up either.
Yeah, that's really ridiculous. What's next, Celtic Ranchero? :?
Norwegian Mariachi techno Italian?

I think all those different genres' names are so many and so deliberately pulled off people's behinds, that they have completely become meaningless...

I did love the map, though.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'm starting a new genre: Hasidic-Muslim Christmas Carols. I'd post my lyrics but want to stay on the site.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

They aren't genres; it's a marketing gimmick. I stopped bothering to keep up; it's destroying music and people's music careers. I came up with an example back in 1999 of why this is a bad trend and benefits no one except risk-averse record company executives. Look at Latin Music and how it has a lot of "beats" and "rhythms" with different names. The musicians learn to play them all and know how to interweave them in their compositions. They don't tend to specialize in just one, knowing that gets boring fast for musician and audience alike, and prevents musical growth.

I see this plethora of musical "genre" labeling as an example of record executives trying to manage risk by making a "name" for a particular beat or rhythm that proved salable so they can repeat the success (in their mind); sort of like Hollywood doing endless sequels and re-makes. I seriously doubt many musicians out there WANT to be pigeon-holed with these self-limiting labels that confine what they can and can't play in order to still be in a pre-defined "market".

Interestingly, the classical world is going the opposite direction the past decade or so, embracing formal musics from around the world as well as informal musics of all kinds. Some feel it goes to far to include electric guitars and/or orchestrations of rock music, but I see younger and younger people all the time at classical concerts and almost all in the SF Bay Area are sold out or close to it, so I think this speaks to how opening rather closing the definitions of what is "inside" or "outside" a genre is a more successful strategy overall.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

How did gamelan wind up next to merseybeat in that chart? :shock:
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

I admit, I've had to consult this more than once recently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_el ... sic_genres

And it's only going to continue to fragment into increasingly more eccentric, a la carte, long-tail, self-basting, personal-niche spaces. Gone are the days of legions of tabla rasa teenagers programmed to march to like 3 radio station markets, usually brought to you by Bud Lite.

And it's not just electronic music. What I used to just call "folk" or "country" or "blues" or whatever, can now be subsumed under trendy new rubrics like "Americana".

And, yes, David, to me it's really more some effect that defines some genre in my mind, rather than some artist (since I don't listen to them anyway) or part of the world where it originated.

When did my Todd Rundgren remix, I had to pick a genre to describe it for Soundcloud. I came up with "TRancendent" (even though it's more House than Trance -- it's TR, it's dance, and of course it utterly defies categorization and totally transcends every one a you-all Sucka DJs, :) Hunh!

Another one I was going to use was "Jambi" -- which is actually a new hybrid breed of cat (!), but it just sounded so much like it should be a style of music. So I am officially the first person to enter Jambi as a metadata tag on Soundcloud. :mrgreen: Let it go down in the annals, and the anals, of and the who-coined-first-props of cyber-history street cred, that I hath wrought two new genres with the single stroke of my might thumb.

Actually, I was relieved when they finally started using the term "EDM", since it is the most universal. It's Electronic. It's music. And you can Dance to it! It's all EDM ultimately.

Babz
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Although still on hiatus due to different geo-location and children, my synth-pop originals project billed itself as "Heavy Plastic" to distinguish itself from "Heavy Metal". :-)

I like the TR insider joke, as Todd is one of my real heroes in the industry and also quite possibly the one that I've been fortunate to have had a fair amount of one-on-one time with at tech and music/audio conferences. An incredible person who is nothing like how reviewers often portray him. If I was rich, he's the first person I'd call for a project.

Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

mhschmieder wrote: I like the TR insider joke, as Todd is one of my real heroes in the industry and also quite possibly the one that I've been fortunate to have had a fair amount of one-on-one time with at tech and music/audio conferences. An incredible person who is nothing like how reviewers often portray him. If I was rich, he's the first person I'd call for a project.
Todd has done so many different things over the years that you mention his name, and people have heard of him, but you never know *which* Todd Rundgren they know. (And "Todd the producer" vs. "Todd the artist" -- that in itself is a huge topic.) For my part, suffice it to say, he is the main artist who inspired me to learn to play all the instruments in the band and overdub all the parts, back in the early 70s -- something that everyone and his grandmother can do today, but ground-breaking in 1972.

If you're a Todd fan, mhschmieder, you might want to check out my remix (which is based around a couple of his recent "EDM" tunes, but also samples from 7-8 other tracks from his catalog, going all the way back to Utopia, etc.). You can find the link and read more about the project in this tread:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 9&start=45

Best,
Babz

P.S. LOVE "Heavy Plastic". :) How about "Lite Metal" or "Soft Metal" You never hear of anyone doing THAT.