Great time now to buy a Mac Pro

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Great time now to buy a Mac Pro

Post by David Polich »

Not the forthcoming "trash can" Mac Pro - current Mac Pros that retailers
have to get rid of before the new models arrive. I've seen awesome prices on new 6-core and 12-core Mac Pros everywhere, including Fry's and Best Buy.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Great time now to buy a Mac Pro

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Need to check that out :$
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I suspect the prices will be een better next month. The current models will move immediately to the Refurb store. Of corse, if you want build to order, ths your last chance.

I priced the new MP with current peripherals in a twin monitor setup with 24G memory and 2T external SSD using my current Time Capsules. I ballparked it at $7K. Not as bad as I thought but more $ than I can justify.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

here's a bit of info from a couple of hours research:
Frys.com has the 12-core 2.4GHZ (w/12GB RAM & 1 TB HD) for $2,599 till Friday.
((but no shipping....you have to pick it up from a Frys store))
BestBuy.com is still showing $3,799.99 for the same machine, *BUT* a phone call to their 1-800 said that they *would* price-match Frys. (and they will ship)
PowerMax has none of them, said they won't get any more new ones and said "go for it"!!
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
KarlSutton

Post by KarlSutton »

I've been reading that some people are getting better performance out of their 2012 iMac's than 12 core MacPros especially for FCPX.

A brand new iMac with these specs is $2549
3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X4GB
1TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5

Add $200 for 16GB of RAM from OWC.

I know these machines aren't Apples to Apples (ha!) but for FCPX & Digital Performer (the two apps I use the most for work) which one has the most power?
MPB 17" 2.66 i7/8GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8, DP 7.24, 828 mkII, Ethno 1 via Ultimate Soundbank, MX4, MSI, Komplete 9, Ivory, Stylus RMX.

for a time:MacPro6,1 3Ghz 8 core 32GB RAM
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

... and which ones will still be working in 10 years? Mac pros are built like brick out houses and give you the option of upgrading your monitor(s). If you have a backup machine, you just pop that onto your monitor and send the other puppy out and you have multiple internal hard drives. you can also use PCI cards. Yeah, they'll be phased out (perhaps) but they're still here and they still do a lot of good for many of us.

It's not much of an issue, IMO. Mac Pro.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

The refurb MacPro 4,1 that I got recently can be turned into a 6 core with a CPU swap. Cost about $575 today for a 60% boost in speed. I paid $689 for the 4,1. Another $575 and it's a 6 core for $1264. Of course this is plenty of machine for my needs now, and the longer I wait the price of the 6 core chips should go down further. :) I can't see me needing the new form factor MacPro anytime soon.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I think that if you are holding a fairly late model Mac Pro, you've got the equivalent of the Classic 9600 PowerMac. Those were sought for video with Avid systems back in the 90s and even after OS X was introduced, people searched the net for 9600 PowerMacs. Periodically I come across some interview with a dude who is very successful at video, and you still see a 9600 back there.

Some people stop with a system and master it, and are able to do whatever they want with it with very little effort. If you are always upgrading to new versions, within 10 years you're working with something completely different, and often your previous 10 years of skills just don't apply to it. There is some of that in Digital Performer, but MOTU has been great about retro compatibility (I can STILL open MIDI projects from 1986). Ask some Logic users about this, however, and you'll hear quite different stories. Just 10 years ago, Logic was a completely different beast, operating on two platforms. It was anything but easy to use, but some people felt it offered them powerful tools they couldn't get elsewhere. Now it's Garageband Sr., with powerful tools of course, but it's quite different from the old Logic.

Anyway, the Mac Pro's we have now will be around for many years to come, long after Apple no longer supports them. 3rd Party developers and manufacturers will provide parts, updates, and such for them. There will always be a market for them, simply because they are of such an ass-kicking design, and they're freaking powerful with old hard drives and video cards.

The new Mac Pro is going to change everything. Who knows whether it will ever be revered like the 9600 or the current Mac Pro. I wish they'd name the new one something else. Maybe it will be a rip-roaring success. I'm hoping so. I want to see what kind of power it can produce. If it's quiet, amazingly powerful, easy to customize and add lots of drives, and not hot as a space heater, then it may well be the best machine ever made. In any case, I can't wait to see it and to have one, but I'll be keeping both my old Mac Pro's for a long time to come.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

For DP, which is highly multi-threaded, the Mac Pro 12-core will out-perform the iMac by a considerable margin. I would suspect the iMac's newer GPU (which, unlike the MP's, cannot be upgraded) helps the iMac when running FInal Cut.

That said, the iMac is a great machine for DP, too. What each user needs in a computer is dictated by the type of project and approach. I keep my Mac in a machine room, so the all-in-one approach wouldn't work for me.

I did what James mentions in his post earlier in this thread and am loving my hex 3.33 faux 5,1 Mac Pro. The upgrade was super easy to accomplish. So far, I have yet to hit a project that caused the machine to break a sweat. Do keep in mind you will probably want to upgrade your GPU if you go with a (2009) 4,1. Lots of options these days, as ML and Mavericks support a large number of video cards.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Although recent OS and DP updates have reduced the load on my 3 year old iMac, I'm feeling the desire for faster boot and load times - this means SSDs.

Unfortunately, no Thunderbolt unlike the 2011, I have limited choices. I may have the internal updated and go with an eSATA external since I had OWC install the port when I got it new. But that's a chunk of change to spend on a 3 year old piece of hardware so, I don't know. Decisions... fortunately, I am in no hurry.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:I did what James mentions in his post earlier in this thread and am loving my hex 3.33 faux 5,1 Mac Pro. The upgrade was super easy to accomplish. So far, I have yet to hit a project that caused the machine to break a sweat. Do keep in mind you will probably want to upgrade your GPU if you go with a (2009) 4,1. Lots of options these days, as ML and Mavericks support a large number of video cards.
I have an ATI 5770, so I'm good there. So happy with this machine. Thanks HC for hipping me to that sale on the refurbed 4,1! :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
frankf

Post by frankf »

There are several 4,1s up at OWC, but for more $ than you paid. www.macsales.com

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Just an FYI... stocks of new Xeon 3680 (3.33 Westmere) and 3690 (a tad faster) appear to have pretty much dried up. Apparently, Intel stopped production in September. According to folks who were monitoring it, Provantage's inventory (which had been about 50 pieces until last week) just disappeared one day. They are gone at Newegg, too.

These CPUs are still available used on EBay. As time goes on prices on used should decline, but right now, they have pushed up. New 3680s and 90s are going to be harder to find. I saw one new 3680 on EBay for $985. I also noted slightly slower 3670 Xeons (3.2) for about $300, but did not confirm the stepping is compatible with 2009 Mac Pros. Before buying, I'd check in at Macrumors and get some feedback.

I also noted a guy selling replacement CPU trays with the 3680 installed (no trade-in required) for $999, and another guy offering a CPU replacement service for the same price. Methinks they may be the folk who gobbled up all the inventory.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:Just an FYI... stocks of new Xeon 3680 (3.33 Westmere) and 3690 (a tad faster) appear to have pretty much dried up. Apparently, Intel stopped production in September. According to folks who were monitoring it, Provantage's inventory (which had been about 50 pieces until last week) just disappeared one day. They are gone at Newegg, too.

These CPUs are still available used on EBay. As time goes on prices on used should decline, but right now, they have pushed up. New 3680s and 90s are going to be harder to find. I saw one new 3680 on EBay for $985. I also noted slightly slower 3670 Xeons (3.2) for about $300, but did not confirm the stepping is compatible with 2009 Mac Pros. Before buying, I'd check in at Macrumors and get some feedback.

I also noted a guy selling replacement CPU trays with the 3680 installed (no trade-in required) for $999, and another guy offering a CPU replacement service for the same price. Methinks they may be the folk who gobbled up all the inventory.
Well that blows. So no more $575 chip upgrade now? That would suck if people knew they were sought after and it got stupid. Bummer.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: also noted a guy selling replacement CPU trays with the 3680 installed (no trade-in required) for $999, and another guy offering a CPU replacement service for the same price. Methinks they may be the folk who gobbled up all the inventory.
I have a word for those people. I better not use it. :brucelee: