Great time now to buy a Mac Pro

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Great time now to buy a Mac Pro

Post by HCMarkus »

What James said. ^^^

Quick note on a great thread about GPUs for Mac Pros
Before you buy an overpriced Mac ATI5770, consider this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1440150

First post has most of the important stuff. After that, it's details, and keep in mind many of the "issues" noted date waaay back to 2012 and have since been resolved. Note that the so-called "low-end card" GTX 650 blows the 5770 out of the water, and can be had for about $150.

You will not get a boot screen on your Mac with these "PC" cards, but they appear to be otherwise fully-functional.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Gravity Jim wrote:USB 2.0 already outruns many, many channels of MIDI. USB 3.0 is something like 100 times faster than that, and so represents massive overkill. What would be the point of Thunderbolt MIDI?

More buss speed will not improve MIDI latency, most of which occurs in host software. There are some clear advantages to Thunderbolt audio interfaces if one is running many channels of 96K or higher audio, but I push 32 channels of 96K/24 bit audio thru a FireWire cable without a hiccup.

So all this drooling and imagineering over what TBolt could do for MIDI doesn't mean a thing. In short, it won't do anything.
No Thanks necessary, it was my pleasure helping you out with your understandings of things. I see you over there drooling over thunderbolt...exciting times when your uber slow usb can finally be fast. :dance:
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

BKK-OZ wrote:Sometimes I wish there was more latency between my thoughts and my mouth.
Hahaha! :)

My apologies to the ladies. Just thought it was humorous. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:First post has most of the important stuff. After that, it's details, and keep in mind many of the "issues" noted date waaay back to 2012 and have since been resolved. Note that the so-called "low-end card" GTX 650 blows the 5770 out of the water, and can be had for about $150.

You will not get a boot screen on your Mac with these "PC" cards, but they appear to be otherwise fully-functional.
Luckily my 5770 card was a gift from a friend.

Only concern I have is if you don't get a boot screen, what about holding down Option on boot if you're having a problem and need to select a different drive/partition as the startup disk during boot? If you can't do that, I'd be wary as I've used that to get myself out of jams before.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote:Only concern I have is if you don't get a boot screen, what about holding down Option on boot if you're having a problem and need to select a different drive/partition as the startup disk during boot? If you can't do that, I'd be wary as I've used that to get myself out of jams before.
You got that right... good reason to keep the old card around if you go the PC GPU route! I have a 5770, too, but if I had a GT120 or other older card, I'd be thinking alng the lines of the referenced thread.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:
James Steele wrote:Only concern I have is if you don't get a boot screen, what about holding down Option on boot if you're having a problem and need to select a different drive/partition as the startup disk during boot? If you can't do that, I'd be wary as I've used that to get myself out of jams before.
You got that right... good reason to keep the old card around if you go the PC GPU route! I have a 5770, too, but if I had a GT120 or other older card, I'd be thinking alng the lines of the referenced thread.
I wouldn't want to be having to keep a card on hand and have to pull my machine, disconnect various cables/cords and swap graphics card so I could select the partition on boot. Saving money is nice, but that limitation would make *me* inclined to spend a bit more and not have to deal with that.

Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

James Steele wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:
I wouldn't want to be having to keep a card on hand and have to pull my machine, disconnect various cables/cords and swap graphics card so I could select the partition on boot. Saving money is nice, but that limitation would make *me* inclined to spend a bit more and not have to deal with that.
Yeah, I just bought a 5770 ($249) so I wouldn't have to worry about it. I don't even have the MP yet, but I'm nervous those cards are going to disappear. I'll just use it in my 1,1 until I find a good used MP.
DP10.13
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/15/new ... enchmarks/

33k+ 64 bit geekbench for 12 core nMP. :D
Estimated cost: $10k. :shock: