DP "None More Black" Theme

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP "None More Black" Theme

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Great! There are not wrong notes in improvisation. Just poor choices. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Re: DP

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Great! There are not wrong notes in improvisation. Just poor choices. :)
You've obviously never heard me improvise. My choices and my notes don't always match. Trust me… those are wrong notes!

Yeah, I know… it's what you DO with 'em.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

According to Nigel it is all fear based. Perhaps Sabbath was visionary in naming their album " Paranoid."
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
MIDI Life Crisis

DP "None More Black" Theme

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

When I was working playing 12 hours of dance a day in NYC I and the other accompanists improvised almost exclusively. When we made a "poor choice" we would turn it into a "theme."

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep."

~ Scott Adams
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

Actually I couldn't agree more. That's why I was the only one laughing in the theater when I first saw Spinal Tap. I often wonder what the conversation would be between Parker, Beethoven, and Stravinsky. As I remember Parker went to Stravinky's house in LA. :woohoo:
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Spinal Tap is still one of the funniest movies ever. I actually like the fact that it is so "inside baseball" as the saying goes. You can't really fully appreciate the humor unless you've been in a band at some point in your life. A lot of it hits home. The "meddling girlfriend" of David St. Hubbins was one that makes most of my musician friends uncomfortable as we've seen that firsthand.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

James Steele wrote: The "meddling girlfriend" of David St. Hubbins was one that makes most of my musician friends uncomfortable as we've seen that firsthand.
Yes so true. I was in a rock band and the bass player's new girlfriend announced to us all we are changing your name to "Fresh Fruit." He left the band. :headbang:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dosuna11 wrote:He left the band. :headbang:
Or was politely "asked to resign?" :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Had that happen back when I was a starving kid living in LA. Our keyboard player hooked up with some girl that promptly convinced him to move in with her and she lived something like 30 miles away and totally hosed our rehearsal schedule. It sort of set the demise in motion. Sigh. I can laugh, yet I shudder at it still just a little bit. :) Like it's said: the root of so much comedy is pain. :)

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:Had that happen back when I was a starving kid living in LA. Our keyboard player hooked up with some girl that promptly convinced him to move in with her and she lived something like 30 miles away and totally hosed our rehearsal schedule. It sort of set the demise in motion. Sigh. I can laugh, yet I shudder at it still just a little bit. :) Like it's said: the root of so much comedy is pain. :)
I think every time I've been in a band, once we got to playing everyone suddenly had girlfriends. Then they wanted to hang with their new gf's, so rehearsals went out the window. Of course, everyone — especially the lead singers — always figured they were so good they didn't need practice, so… well… I'll spare you the pain you're already so familiar with. Hey, I'm not complaining about the perks of being on stage, but it takes a really unusual group of people to commit to being in a band.

Since most guys are doing it for the women, the arrival of jealous girlfriends is sort of the sign of success, which means the game's over anyway until they break up and need another.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
FutureLegends

Re: DP "None More Black" Theme

Post by FutureLegends »

I wise Ukrainian friend once told me, when we were discussing the issues of finding a band: "You know, finding a wife is very difficult. Finding a band is like finding 5 wives, and they have to all like each other". (read with East European accent)
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings