iPad 4 owners: sales guy says MUST use screen protector?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: iPad 4 owners: sales guy says MUST use screen protector?

Post by Phil O »

Must have been a fire sale.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

But seriously, glass does get scratched. I have a stick-on protector on my iPhone and if you're careful putting it on (i.e., no bubbles or dust) you don't even notice it's there. When it gets funky dirty scratched-to-s#*%, I'll replace it and it will be like new. I also have a Speck case on it which is already beat to crap, so there's definitely some merit to these protectors, but I ain't buyin' the soft glass pitch. In fact, didn't I read somewhere that most of these touch devices with glass faces use a very high quality tough glass?
Yes I did:
http://bit.ly/RCA3Ty

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

And the best part is that the little plastic film cost $30!

But, kidding aside. I do use the plastic films on all my iOS devices (cheap ones off ebay), but it has never been about fingerprints -- it's about glare and reflections.

Maybe I've spent to many years staring off into space, but I need a matte screen surface. The toughest part is getting them on with no air bubbles! You have to work in a hermetically-sealed lab environment (the slightest dust particle or cilia under the film and you're doomed) -- and even then, it takes about 3 hours with a credit card to smooth out every bubble! I would gladly pay an extra $30 if Apple would just sell iOS devices with a matte screen film preinstalled!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

For my iPod Touch 2 I got a matte finish screen protector that came with a clear lucite back protector. The screen protector went on with no bubbles or other problems and has lasted years. I haven't had to put the spare on.

Don't know if they are still around, but the spare says powersupportUSA.com on it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I have one of those magnetic folding cover things by Apple for my iPad 2. I think really you're not going to scratch the glass during actual use. Where it would happen is if you set it down on a table and it gets knocked off or somehow something is set on it or falls on it. Putting it in a safe place when NOT using it is probably the most important way to avoid messing it up.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

Yeah, I keep a screen protector on my iPod touch, and would on an iPhone if I ever get one. Because those things go in pockets and you just never know what horrible scratchy thing is gonna be in your pocket.

So far so good on keeping the "soft glass" clean and fingerprint free.

Loving the iPad as well, very welcome upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

Hey about the cable thing, A guy came into where I teach and boasted about my cable is better that yours. So we did an A B test. Turns out he was correct. The Gibson rep. and I bought one immediately. Pretty pricey (not cost effective) but it definitely is better at passing the signal by a noticeable difference. IMO it sounds better than any cable I have used in 42 years. Who would of thought?
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Yeah, but who's cable is longer? I'm getting cable envy.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dosuna11 wrote:The Gibson rep. and I bought one immediately.
You didn't buy two? So, what was it?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

bayswater wrote:
dosuna11 wrote:The Gibson rep. and I bought one immediately.
You didn't buy two? So, what was it?
Even with it's performance improvement at 2 bills I just don't go through guitar cords like I used to. I think his main problem will be the materials cost as most people will be satisfied with a $19.95 cord. The Gibson rep told me when he played it for our friend HR's son Jay he asked where is the in line transformer? He runs this out of his house and builds custom lengths to order. He has several versions each is a larger diameter and as such passes the signal even better and costs more. I haven't seen him around lately so he might have left town. Needless to say it works for me.
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com