Why I LIKE iLok!!!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
sdfalk
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Why I LIKE iLok!!!

Post by sdfalk »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:As far as the iLok issue, I'm past it. Regardless of how badly they may have handled it on the PR side, they fixed it. If people don't like iLoked software or the company that much they certainly don't have to buy iLoked products.
yep
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:As far as the iLok issue, I'm past it. Regardless of how badly they may have handled it on the PR side, they fixed it. If people don't like iLoked software or the company that much they certainly don't have to buy iLoked products.
I have no love for the ILok nor PACE. But the stuff generally works. They have had fewer stumbles than Apple over the years. Yes, really.

I am reminded of the following:

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."

Winston Churchill
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

sdfalk wrote:
yep
True enough. That's why I'll continue to buy iLok'd products. I have no problem with it and I actually prefer it. And as has been pointed out, I don't think they've had many plug developers bail on them as a result of the issues they had recently.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

The iLok is a beautiful concept. If you're going to have copy protection, it should be portable, span all upgrades, and it should all be in one place for convenience (though admittedly, that makes it more vulnerable to theft, which is probably wrong-headed since sooner or later that iLok won't work, and they won't be able to update it). The iLok is all those things when it works. I've experienced the ups and downs of iLok, and I have to say that I prefer it over any other form of copy protection. I do NOT like authorizing hard drives. I was so happy to be done with that, and then Waves goes back to it, and PSP has gone back to it, and several other prominent plugin makers are returning to that form of authorization. That means when you change computers or upgrade, you have a few days of work ahead of you. At least I've learned to keep those records in one place so that I know where to go and what to do… sorta. It's not a perfect system, because I often forget to document a new plugin.

That said, PSP's plugins are probably the easiest to install and authorize. You get both things when you download the plugin and a separate link for the authorizer. Run both, and you're done. No chasing challenges and responses… just double click the authorizer and you're done.

But Waves? I have a thumb-drive "dongle" now, which occupies yet another USB port. And if you asked me how to go about authorizing Waves, I couldn't tell you at all. I'd just have to say "read the instructions… VERY carefully." It was all so simple on iLok. In fact, I've kept Waves 8 on my MacBook Pro, so that I can just use the iLok when recording remotely. I'll probably lock in Waves 8 and DP7.04 just so I can continue to use it on location with the iLok. I don't need all the bells and whistles of DP8 or Waves 9 when recording somewhere else.

So, I agree about the iLok. Yeah, I had one die on me, but Zero Down Time saved that situation. And a recent scare turned out only to require pressing the "Sync" button on the new iLok manager software. So yeah, I'm still into the iLok. I can tell you very truly that I'm NOT into challenge responses, extra dongles, HD authorizations, and all the other damn-fool methods I've seen, many of which I have to use even now.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|