Why I LIKE iLok!!!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Why I LIKE iLok!!!

Post by mikehalloran »

Erik,

A number of laptop users take a 3" or 6" USB extender cable to extend their iLok and then Velcro it to the lid for exactly the reasons you describe. Cheap, simple, works.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

Why I don't..

Horrible support for customers after there recent software/website upgrade debacle.
Hearing from customer upon customer, why They'll never again purchase anything with
an Ilok attached.

The Idea of a key to prevent software piracy doesn't offend me, but a horribly thought
out website revision does.

Or to put it another way;

http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/word ... hives/2415

Edit;
I'd like to add that Propellerhead's (Reason etc) absolutely hit it out of the park
regarding a hardware dongle.
Steinberg even allows you to buy a new dongle (and get every license back as long as you can prove ownership) with no Xtra charges.

Prompt (I understand a few days, but 2 weeks?, sometimes never?) anything
less is inexcusable.
Last edited by sdfalk on Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Fair enough. I haven't had issues and I will continue to purchase plugs that use it, and choose it as an option whenever possible.

I knew when I posted this that it was only a matter of time before someone brought out the sharp knives. I believe iLok has had issues, but it represents the best potential to actually hamper piracy and enable developers to stay I'm business and continue to innovate. I would also not want to give up my Slate FG-X.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

We all know about the problems they experienced not long ago. Hopefully that's behind them. I'm still having to go through authorizing all my non-iLok plugs after upgrading my machine. :(

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

I used to not mind iLok, but now that I'm on a MacBook Pro, having to deal with dongles of any kind is more of a chore than when you could just stick in in the back of the computer and forget about it...
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

Well

If that seemed like I was bringing the knives
Out ,you should have seen/listened to the customers ( I deal with) bringing
there non -functioning
I-loks back after multiple failed attempts to get them
Working ..yep, good times .
They ( as a company) need to do better
James Steele
Site Administrator

Why I LIKE iLok!!!

Post by James Steele »

Interesting. I hadn't heard of anyone "bricking" an iLok. Notably, the web debacle was human error, unfortunately, not faulty components or anything.

Bottom line: With that incident PACE handed a box of ammunition to those who already had it out for iLok, and detractors are now capitalizing on it. Hey, maybe if they're lucky they can drive PACE out of business? I don't see that as a good outcome but it sure seems like that's what some people want.

I see the pursuit of a crack-proof AND ROBUST form of copy-protection as GOOD for the plug-in business AND the user as protecting their income stream can ultimately result in being able to charge legitimate users LESS for quality plugs.

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

One relatively small misstep shouldn't define anyone, group, or organization. Humans should, IMO, be somewhat more compassionate then we're accustomed to seeing these days. Besides, we all make errors at some point and to pile on for a solitary error, especially when it concerns an internet problem, is clearly axe grinding.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:One relatively small misstep shouldn't define anyone, group, or organization. Humans should, IMO, be somewhat more compassionate then we're accustomed to seeing these days. Besides, we all make errors at some point and to pile on for a solitary error, especially when it concerns an internet problem, is clearly axe grinding.
I agree. And I recognize that to many people it was not a *small* misstep. But the thing is I actually believe that NOBODY has cracked iLok2, and you may think I'm silly, but I believe that if the potential rewards that would come with a uncrackable and robust copy-protection scheme are enormous. I think when developers were getting income for EVERY copy that was out there, they could afford (and would) charge less in order to sell more and make more money. It would be GOOD for users if there was a way to beat piracy. Right now, all of us who don't steal music software have to help pay the cost for those who do. They have to make up their losses. Just like anything. We pay higher insurance premiums to cover the cost of fraud. Higher prices in stores to cover the cost of shoplifting. All that theft gets built into the price.

The difficulty (I don't know if you CAN do it) of "cracking" iPhone/iPad apps sold through the App Store seems to have resulted in amazing prices for software. You have apps for .99 or $1.99 or $4.99. I can't remember what I paid for Photoshop Touch, but it was cheap when you consider the technology involved. I suspect that's in part because it can't be stolen.

Seems like if Apple cared enough about the pro music segment they'd create a plug-in section of their App Store. You could buy plugs with your Apple ID, and it could push updates to you. Maybe some sort of verification. If PACE were smart, maybe they could set up a plug-in store that worked on a similar principle. Dunno. Just spitballing it here.

sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:One relatively small misstep shouldn't define anyone, group, or organization. Humans should, IMO, be somewhat more compassionate then we're accustomed to seeing these days. Besides, we all make errors at some point and to pile on for a solitary error, especially when it concerns an internet problem, is clearly axe grinding.
If A company is in error, if it's human, technical, or whatever, they should get in front of it,
own it, and apologize.
I would also argue a relatively small number is defined by 5 people, 10, 100, a thousand?
Regardless of the number, I would argue the company in question should show compassion
to their users for throwing their lives (and their work) into a tailspin.
The people I deal with (and myself) aren't in business to make Ilok feel better about themselves.
MIDI Life Crisis

The difference is that Apple has massive financial resources to throw at the problem and absorb some losses created by cheaper apps and songs. Ultimately, in terms of iTunes, it's the creators of content who are still doing the heavy lifting in terms of eating the profits. "Smaller" companies depend on volume and when theft cuts seriously into that, they can and do go out of business. I wish all the dam torrent sites would be the ones that folded. You can still d/l almost anything. I never have and never will. Stubborn old fart! :mumble:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

sdfalk wrote:If A company is in error, if it's human, technical, or whatever, they should get in front of it,
own it, and apologize.
I guess you missed the public mea culpa that the president of the company put out on most of the forums, etc. basically taking fully responsibility and prostrating himself before the world? Maybe that's not good enough.

Regardless of the number, I would argue the company in question should show compassion to their users for throwing their lives (and their work) into a tailspin.
Please explain to me how they lacked compassion. What did you want them to do?

The people I deal with (and myself) aren't in business to make Ilok feel better about themselves.
I never said that. May you have clients that are as unforgiving as you are. And perhaps you do? Fair enough. I don't remember... do you actually have an iLok and were you affected?

MIDI Life Crisis

As far as the iLok issue, I'm past it. Regardless of how badly they may have handled it on the PR side, they fixed it. If people don't like iLoked software or the company that much they certainly don't have to buy iLoked products.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I guess in my case, I didn't have anything to "get over" as I didn't get stung. Maybe if I had, I'd feel differently about it.

In my situation, my studio computer doesn't leave the studio. So just having that iLok under my desk in the hub always there has worked beautifully. This is especially true when I get a new (used, usually) computer. I migrate everything over and all my plugs JUST PLAIN WORK! I'm not having to go through my plugs and instantiate them in order to get the dialog to authorize and logging on to various different websites and reauthorizing with all these different schemes. One of my authorizations isn't "sticking" on one product and I have to now email tech support and try and get that fixed. It's just a major hassle and call me lucky, but I have NEVER had to worry about my iLok plugs.

I know people who travel with their laptops have different concerns. Losing it of course is a biggie. You have to be careful obviously. The other is that it sticks out and so you can't leave it in. I did read someone say that what some people do is use the small little USB extension cord you can get and then attach the iLok to that and tape it to the lid or something. Not very aesthetically pleasing, I agree. Maybe one day they'll be able to get the size of the dongle down to just a little nub that never has to leave the USB port? I don't know.

sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

James Steele wrote:
sdfalk wrote:If A company is in error, if it's human, technical, or whatever, they should get in front of it,
own it, and apologize.
I guess you missed the public mea culpa that the president of the company put out on most of the forums, etc. basically taking fully responsibility and prostrating himself before the world? Maybe that's not good enough.
I might have missed it..I was to busy getting my head handed to me by many angry human beings
who weren't getting ANY response from the company regarding there issues.

Regardless of the number, I would argue the company in question should show compassion to their users for throwing their lives (and their work) into a tailspin.
Please explain to me how they lacked compassion. What did you want them to do?
Contact the customers who been waiting weeks for a reply.

I never said that. May you have clients that are as unforgiving as you are. And perhaps you do? Fair enough. I don't remember... do you actually have an iLok and were you affected?
I never said "YOU" said that.
As I matter of fact I did have an Ilok take a dump...I'm also very forgiving person in point of fact.
I'm looking at it from the perspective of a fair number of people who weren't feeling quite so
generous.
Hey, It didn't affect me in the least.
I was using DP, and an Apollo for the Lions share of my work..I lost the ability to use Protools,
(for various sessions it was a bit of a problem, but I worked around it)
I'm seeing this from the side of friends, colleagues, and other home studio musicians, who've become a little frustrated with Ilok.