Indication that BIAS Peak may be coming back

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Indication that BIAS Peak may be coming back

Post by David Polich »

Today I got a promo email from some company called Soundness, about
upgrading to Sound Soap 3. As Sound Soap was a BIAS product, of course
it really got me wondering if the company has purchased all of BIAS'
assets and could possibly be resurrecting Peak. I've sent them an email
asking about this.

Here's their website - interesting:

http://www.soundness-llc.com/products.html
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mikehalloran

Re: Indication that BIAS Peak may be coming back

Post by mikehalloran »

Hmmmm... $49 to upgrade to SoundSoap 3. Not certain that I need it having RX 3.

The upgrade form says it wants my email address from when I was a registered PEAK user - betting that doesn't work anymore, whatever it was. The only thing I have left from PEAK 4 is a scan of my Registration card and a copy of Jam that no longer works.

I have replaced PEAK with other tools and, frankly, regret having spent so much money on software that needed upgrading every time the OS changed. When I lost the dongle, I tossed the box into the trash.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Got this from Soundness tech support this morning -

"Soundness owns the rights to develop the SoundSoap and iProRecorder products previously published by BIAS, Inc. At this time, Soundness does not have any announced plans to develop or publish any other software titles previously from BIAS. Soundness also maintains the existing BIAS product licenses and provides limited support for existing BIAS customer licenses."
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

David Polich wrote:Got this from Soundness tech support this morning -

"Soundness owns the rights to develop the SoundSoap and iProRecorder products previously published by BIAS, Inc. At this time, Soundness does not have any announced plans to develop or publish any other software titles previously from BIAS. Soundness also maintains the existing BIAS product licenses and provides limited support for existing BIAS customer licenses."
That also appears in the About page on their website. Looks like a pretty thin business (so far).
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Well, I feel bad, because I was supposed to be a beta tester but then the S hit the F in my life and at work and I've barely had time to breathe for two months. I had specific problems with the previous version so I'll at least see if those got fixed - probably in early November. :-)

I have more motivation to beta test a new Peak though, as I'm now at the point where I'm having to do some of my mastering in DP since none of my three standalone mastering apps are 64-bit hosts (I didn't do the "upgrade" from Wave Editor as I didn't feel very Triumph-ant about its successor during early testing). I got stuck doing that today as I had to rapidly prepare a tribute to my best friend for the memorial this coming week. What a situation to have a surprise like that; previous updates to Ozone worked in Peak. But then surprisingly I found the VST version worked; just not the AU version. It's amazing Peak still works so well though!
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

The stability of a plug in is very important to me as I want my "masters" to remain working for yrs to come if possible. These flakey companies and then new alliances by companies I have not heard of before, do not instill confidence in me.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Well, I took the email from Soundness and trashed it. Won't be buying
Sound Soap 3. I'm gonna hazard a guess that Soundness (terrible name
for a software company) won't be around that long.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Just fyi: According to the press release at their site, Soundness' founder is Steve Berkeley. That's the same guy who founded BIAS (per Wikipedia).
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

mhschmieder wrote:(I didn't do the "upgrade" from Wave Editor as I didn't feel very Triumph-ant about its successor during early testing).
I used Wave Editor, but they scared me away with Triumph. It;s been ahile now, but that company changed overnight. It was really weird. I don't know if they were bought out or what. If I remember right, I couldn't even test Triumph because it doesn't run on SL.
mhschmieder wrote: I got stuck doing that today as I had to rapidly prepare a tribute to my best friend for the memorial this coming week.
Oh, very sorry to hear that. My condolences.
DP10.13
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks, Dan. It's been a rough month -- we were on the verge of finishing a full-length film. It's hard for me to face mixing the music I did for it now. 13 years as each other's primary collaborator. We were each other's muse, like Rodgers and Hart (I don't like what Rodgers did with Hammerstein nearly as well).

As for Peak coming back, I'm not sure how many people are coding this time around or if it's Steve on his spare time (or maybe his every waking moment). Peak Pro 7 is very stable overall, but of course it doesn't run 64-bit plugs. Maybe that's "all" they need to do for an update?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm sorry about your friend.

The problem with Peak and SoundSoap and Freak was that they strayed from the Apple Toolkit. Perhaps that's what gave them the cutting edge - I don't know - but when I had to pay big bucks to update from a version compatible with OS 10.3 to 10.4 and then pay again when OS 10.5 came out, I had enough. I'm not talking $99 upgrades, either, that would have just annoyed me. Nope, I'd had it and found other ways to get the jobs done.

An update to the current version would be a hard sell to me and would have to be inexpensive to get me interested...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

I don't understand all the dialogue of this thread but I also received the Soundness message _ I own Peak Pro version 5 and 6 as soon as BIAS Inc. has ceased operations, my PEAK version 6 can no longer run and even being helped the Authorizer.
Paradoxically, PEAK version 5 work fine but I appreciated the improvements in version 6.
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

BobK wrote:Just fyi: According to the press release at their site, Soundness' founder is Steve Berkeley. That's the same guy who founded BIAS (per Wikipedia).
I remember him and had some email conversations pre-BIAS days. :) He had a utility called stEPS I think it was called for the EPS samplers. I have an EPS-16+ to this day. Wonderful sampler in its time and I still enjoy firing it up every so often. I also used something called EPSm by a fellow named Terje. That was a wonderful app for reading EPS SCSI drives on a Mac and doing all sorts of useful things. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!