MIDI Life Crisis, Come Home! - RESOLVED

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI Life Crisis, Come Home!

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I drove it r/t to a gig in San Francisco from LA a few weeks ago and never got tired of driving it. Way too much fun and having USB makes the iPhone music too easy - especially the the Central Valley radio no man's land.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I drove it r/t to a gig in San Francisco from LA a few weeks ago and never got tired of driving it. Way too much fun and having USB makes the iPhone music too easy - especially the the Central Valley radio no man's land.
Ahh you got the USB option? I was going to opt for that later and never got around to it. Ended up just using the mini-plug receptacle on the dash. Would like the USB though. I know it allows you to scroll through songs on your iPhone/iPod using the radio's knobs and display.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

cuttime wrote:Image
is it just me, or does Lassie have that "you're chokin' the crap outta me!!" look?
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
MIDI Life Crisis

I just took the last manual transmission in stock and it happened to have USB. My old Ranger had neither power windows & locks nor a/c. I also went with a lease for the first time. If the car is worth more than the buyout I can flip it in 3 years. If not I'll return it and get a new model but I may get a Nissan Juke at that point.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

A friend said he had a Prius, and used it in the back of his PU as a spare incase he breaks down. :lol:
I have a Suzuki Swift I use to go to work, it gets very good milage, with all the big gas hogs on the road it does feel small.
So if we stay away from here do we all get new cars?
MIDI the nation or the world will never be normal or even sane.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

twistedtom wrote:I have a Suzuki Swift I use to go to work, it gets very good milage, with all the big gas hogs on the road it does feel small.
Just keep reminding yourself that the evidence suggests that there's virtually no difference in injury or mortality rate between big cars and small cars (specifically cars & SUVs). Small cars may crunch more in a crash, but big cars take longer to stop and aren't as quick to control in an emergency. The numbers all kinda even out.

So don't be intimidated by road Goliaths anymore.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Central Valley isn't quite as much no man's land as it used to be. I can get various feeder stations of the Pacifica network as well as the classical stations (who have many feeders now) on most of I-5 -- though I've only driven beyond a 40-mile limit of my home once in the past eight years, and that was when I drove to L.A. over New Year's a couple of years ago to trade my 22-year old car for the only manual transmission Hyundai Accent available in California. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mhschmieder wrote:Central Valley isn't quite as much no man's land as it used to be. I can get various feeder stations of the Pacifica network as well as the classical stations (who have many feeders now) on most of I-5 -- though I've only driven beyond a 40-mile limit of my home once in the past eight years, and that was when I drove to L.A. over New Year's a couple of years ago to trade my 22-year old car for the only manual transmission Hyundai Accent available in California. :-)
When I got a Prius V, I broke down and subscribed to Sirius Satellite Radio. Great stations, and you never drive out of range. I'm listening to radio for the first time in almost 30 years. Of course, I still carry collections of CDs around. When I tire of the radio, I listen to Marta Argerich playing Prokofiev, Bach, and others.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Add to that the new iOS allows Siri to find radio stations! She's not great at it yet but if you have some that stream over the net and can maintain your connection you've got another source. Not as good as satellite radio by any means but in some ways it can be easier to deal with. But we got options and there's nothin' wrong wiff dat!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I used to like internet radio via my iPhone 4. It's low tech, but I have a dash mount and if I started losing terrestrial radio, I can switch over to a station streaming over the internet. I say "used to like" because a couple of months ago I had my iPhone flashed and switched over to Cricket from Verizon to save about $80/mo. Although it works fine for the basics, much to my dismay, Cricket's data rates and reliability are abysmal as compared to Verizon. You get what you pay for. I used to listen to streaming podcasts when driving between San Diego and LA. Last couple of times it was just an frustrating experience if constant stopping and rebuffering. Sometimes it just wouldn't start up at all. :(

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: MIDI Life Crisis, Come Home! - RESOLVED

Post by James Steele »

OH... BTW... this topic marked "RESOLVED" by the admin! :dance: Don't leave us again, MLC... we'll be every so sad! :cry:

MIDI Life Crisis

Re: MIDI Life Crisis, Come Home! - RESOLVED

If I do you'll have to change the topic again. Ha ha!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS