Generic samples, loops and getting paid

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Generic samples, loops and getting paid

Post by mikehalloran »

I am not certain whether this belongs Off Topic, Music Business or even General Recording. I'll post here and, if it's moved, it's moved.

I used Shazam recently to listen to a well known commercial and got 9 different results as to the original recording. Not once did it correctly identify the commercial which was listed correctly in the ASCAP/ACE database. I then heard another commercial, found the cues in BMI and got similar results. It wasn't that Shazam couldn't ID the commercial -- it was that the software kept identifying it incorrectly -- but never the same way twice.

Shazam uses the same software engine that BMI uses to listen on the web although they no longer own the company or application. ASCAP has a similar application but I don't recall the name and I'm pretty certain that there's no commercial version of the software.

The PROs, USA and others, are relying more and more on listening software to identify what is being played. Incorrect ID means performance royalties lost or going to the wrong people.

Moral: Commercially samples and loops are convenient but they are also generic. If you want the listening 'bots to ID your music correctly, then put some work into giving your music something unique for those 'bots to tag.

Sermon over.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Re: Generic samples, loops and getting paid

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm sure that the 'sound similar' was not accidental but it's a twin edged sword.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

mikehalloran wrote:I'm sure that the 'sound similar' was no accidental but it's a twin edged sword.
Couldn't agree more. Most of the time, a client wants something that sounds
like "something else" they like. Meaning, you pretty much have to recreate the
original reference, and tweak it just enough to avoid copyright infringement.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If it's a work for hire, there are no cues to be paid on but if you'd like to see royalties, you have to do something to set your cues apart.