Human interest story

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
wylie1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Human interest story

Post by wylie1 »

About a year ago I had to put my dog down at 18.5 yrs he was just an all around great dog that I still miss to this day.
Today a friend of mine was on her way from the city to see me and she found a dog on the side of a major hwy in Toronto.
I took him to the vet and there was no chip or ID hes about 3 months old. I've called around to shelters but there's been no reports of him missing.
I'll keep looking for the owner but if not I've got a new dog.
Here's a pic of him on the way home from the vet.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
Shooshie

Re: Human interest story

Post by Shooshie »

Aw, he'll be so happy. Beagles are particularly unhappy when lost, and will show their appreciation for life if you rescue them. All dogs will, to a certain extent, but there is just something pitiful about a lost Beagle, and something amazing about a rescued one. I've had two Beagles in my lifetime; one was truly lost when we rescued him, and the other was in a cage at a pet store where he'd been neglected, having to live in his own excrement, malnourished, etc. We saved him, and he rewarded us with ebullience and loyalty for many, many years.

Congratulations! I hope you both will be happy together.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Forgot one of the reason's I posted this.
I need a name for him.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Chunks?

Not bites.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Awe... the original snoop dog! I rarely see beagles these days.

Sorry, no names come to mind, I don't know him though. I find that you can't name a pet without knowing its personality. I had a million names picked out for my first dog, but when she arrived, none of them fit.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Cute! Make sure he has a place to dig and protect your garden. Beagles can be ferocious diggers. Great dogs.
DP10.13
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

In my family, the dog's breed is just as important as its name. Let me explain...

We always got our dogs from the pound, starting when I was a child. Years ago, my parents brought home this beagle-terrier mix. It got named "Brownie" by the kids, but was really golden in color. My father advised us that the dog must have a suitable breed name, dignity demanded it. He decreed it to be a Golden Schmultzer. Brownie was the worst dog I ever had a relationship with (possibly excepting a few old girlfriends); it bit almost everyone in my family, including grandma, but somehow spared my father. Perhaps she was grateful for the breed name dad bestowed upon her.

Moving forward, my then-future-wife-to-be brought home a wonderful pound puppy she named Matthew. In truth, he was our first child. Remembering my father's advice, we provided Matthew with a suitable breed name: Mottled Shpotzly. His white and tan mottled coat would reveal his spotted skin when wet. This was the best dog in the world, and he was with us for many years as our later children (breed name: homo sapiens) grew.

After Matthew kicked the bucket, wife and kids visited the pound, this time bringing home a rather homely pup who looked to be a cross between a shepherd and terrier. He was big, growing into feet that were meant to carry a 120 pound frame. Skipper, of course, needed a suitable breed name, and it was determined his line was an old one, that of the well-known Brindled Schnotweiler. Skipper stayed with us for many years, while the kids headed off to college.

Our current dogs were picked up by the pound as they wandered the local city streets together. Too much alike to be anything but sisters... or are they? These smaller dogs, Emma and Elizabeth, appear to be the result of an experiment in sexual promiscuity conducted by their mother, who almost certainly found favor with at least two disparate male canines. Emma, a muscular, golden, short-haired terrier mix looks remarkably like my first dog Brownie, but thankfully displays a much gentler disposition. Of course, she is a descendant in the Golden Schmultzer line. Her sister Lizzie looks like a terrier-scotty mix, and is a frizzy pup. Bearing some resemblance to a much-smaller Skipper, but needing a shave, she is undoubtedly the rare Bearded Schnotweiler.

I have a hard time spelling these breed names. So I tell my friends they are all spelled the same: M. U. T. T.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

wylie1 wrote:Forgot one of the reason's I posted this.
I need a name for him.
Well, I can tell you one thing NOT to name him. When I was about 10, this little Beagle found us, and I adopted him. We were inseparable. He loved chewing on bones, and would hide them and sneak around with them so that the other dogs wouldn't find his bones. My mother eventually said I was going to have to name him. So… I chose "Boner." Yep, really. I was 10, lived on a ranch, and I'd never heard that term used… well… in a slang way. My mother was apparently from another age and another planet, for she didn't pick up on it, either, or if she did, she chose to avoid the issue entirely.

When I told my father what I'd named the Beagle, he did a double-take, looked at my mother, and acted a little funny. I had no idea why. But rather than confront me and tell me about the ways of the world, he just sheepishly said "ok, that probably fits him about as well as any."

From that day on, when people asked my dog's name, they always did this double-take and suppressed a chuckle. I never understood why. It was only when I was a few years older that I found out that there might have been better choices. I resolved to be the kind of father, someday, who told his kids about things so they would be ahead of their classmates and avoid embarrassment such as that. I did that, actually, and my kids turned really great.

But I can tell you that's not a good name for a dog. But at the same time, neither is Precious, Sweetie, Smoochums… there's quite a list.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Shooshie wrote:
wylie1 wrote:Forgot one of the reason's I posted this.
I need a name for him.
Well, I can tell you one thing NOT to name him. When I was about 10, this little Beagle found us, and I adopted him. We were inseparable. He loved chewing on bones, and would hide them and sneak around with them so that the other dogs wouldn't find his bones. My mother eventually said I was going to have to name him. So… I chose "Boner." Yep, really. I was 10, lived on a ranch, and I'd never heard that term used… well… in a slang way. My mother was apparently from another age and another planet, for she didn't pick up on it, either, or if she did, she chose to avoid the issue entirely.

When I told my father what I'd named the Beagle, he did a double-take, looked at my mother, and acted a little funny. I had no idea why. But rather than confront me and tell me about the ways of the world, he just sheepishly said "ok, that probably fits him about as well as any."

From that day on, when people asked my dog's name, they always did this double-take and suppressed a chuckle. I never understood why. It was only when I was a few years older that I found out that there might have been better choices. I resolved to be the kind of father, someday, who told his kids about things so they would be ahead of their classmates and avoid embarrassment such as that. I did that, actually, and my kids turned really great.

But I can tell you that's not a good name for a dog. But at the same time, neither is Precious, Sweetie, Smoochums… there's quite a list.

Shoosh
Ha! That made me laugh. I love innocence.

Okay, this has nothing to do with dogs, but thirteen years ago, when I was forty-five, I wanted to name my Christian band The Knockers (to go along with the Bible verse, "Knock and the door will be opened to you.") The other band members turned it down. The bass player said, "Yeah, I can hear it now, 'Ladies and gentlemen, let's give a nice warm hand to The Knockers.'"

Edit: And I thank you for not going through all the commands a ten-year-old could have given little boner. We can hear them. They are hilarious.
DP10.13
crduval

Post by crduval »

When I was a kid we got a dog from the pound that we named "Bunny" because we got her on Easter. She was a great dog. We later got a rabbit that we named 'Spot".

We then adopted a Springer Spaniel from a family down the street who named her "Fee", short for "Fee Fi Fo Fum", her full name. That was one hilarious dog!

I read that dog names should be two syllables ending in a vowel. This helps the dog understand that the sound is its name for some reason. in that vein, let me offer you some potential beagle names:
HiFi
Barney
Howie
Milo
Millie
Wilma
And of course "MOTU" to keep this on topic ;)

Dogs are special creatures. They were the first animal to be domesticated by humans thousands of years ago. I read that they are the only animal that will look in the direction that a human points - they are that attuned to people.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

How about howl, as that is what they like to do.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

It's a rare dog that will look in the direction you point. They usually look at your hand.

We just took in a rescue dog, a 7 year old Scottie named Tavis we hoped would teach some mellowness to our two-year old Scottie Isabella. Sadly, the inverse has occurred... Izzy is teaching Tavis to hunt in the back yard at all hours, bark at every passing shadow and wake us up at 3 AM.

Congrats on the new boon companion. Yeah, they're often a PITA, but we have never lived without them, and likely won't.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Well I've just about done everything I can to find the owner.
Today I'm going to drive around the houses beside the hwy where he was found to see if there's any postings,if people still do that?
If not I guess I have a new dog.
Hes a fast learner I was able to teach him to stay in the kitchen and go no were else in the house, he seams happy with that.
last night he was in the garden eating tomatoes until he bit into a red chilly I've been calling him Pepper since that.
I almost forgot how funny dogs can be.
Here's what he looks like after he chewed by broom handle to pieces.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Yep, that's a Beagle for you. You might as well name him Trouble.

He's really cute. I hope you get to keep him.
DP10.13
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

wylie1 wrote: I almost forgot how funny dogs can be.
Here's what he looks like after he chewed by broom handle to pieces.
Yup. There's definitely guilt in his face there :lol:

Congrats on your new dog-friend! I'm sure he will bring more joy into your life 8)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman