Pitch To MIDI...Wow!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Pitch To MIDI...Wow!

Post by buzzsmith »

I knew that this feature existed within DP, but I never had an opportunity to use it until yesterday.

We've been working on a track that my client friend wanted to try a little different left hand monophonic B-3 bass line. (Recorded via a direct out from the B-3 amp, no Leslie.)

I told him that I'd need to sketch it out (it was recorded 6 years ago) so I could read it and alter it accordingly.

Then I remembered the Pitch To MIDI procedure and checked it out in the manual.

A few simple steps later and I was looking at it in the Quickscribe window!

Not absolutely perfect (some missing notes and some durations were off) but 95% there.

Neato and groovy!

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Phil O

Re: Pitch To MIDI...Wow!

Post by Phil O »

Buzz, this is a feature that I've used on several occasions with great success. Not something you'll use every day, but definitely a feature that is a huge time saver when the need arises. Good stuff! Or, as you say, neato groovy. Dude, you're dating yourself.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'd be curious to see how well DP's pitch to MIDI compares to the iOS app, MIDImorphosis. The need arises so rarely that I don't really know what works better. I think MIDImorphosis can do polyphonic material now. Now that I mention it, Melodyne's DNA does that too.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Melodyne is supposed to do it. I haven't had much luck with it. DP does it better. Although I must admit I haven't updated Melodyne in a while. I think I'm a couple versions behind. Don't know if they've got the bugs out in recent versions.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.