Some spam is Tapatalk resistant

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Some spam is Tapatalk resistant

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

The cruise ship one in particular won't "swipe" to delete and opens in Safari every time.

What bunch of smart boneheads.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Some spam is Tapatalk resistant

I wonder if blocking topic keywords is possible? I'm still seeing the cruise spam and you can't open the message either. It's a link. I wonder also if this is a tapatalk bug? I'm out of town w/o access to my main machine.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Cruise ship? Don't see it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

On my MBP, a search for "cruise" gives your posts in this thread, and then the next one before that is from MM on Aug 1. The post you're showing doesn't appear here at all. Maybe James killed it and it's still in a server that does Tapatalk. Or maybe it's Tapatalk, not Motunation resident spam.
MIDI Life Crisis

It appears to be a tapatalk spam as there is no message to open. As I said, I'm only on an iPhone so that could well be it.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Cripes. As if there aren't enough ways to spam us.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

It looks like what is going on is Tapatalk is INSERTING its own ads that only appear in Tapatalk. Probably the trade off for them making their fancier version free perhaps? I need to look into it and see if I have a way to go onto their site and opt out, as I could argue that they're selling ads off the content that is not theirs.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I'm wondering what people find about Tapatalk that is better than a browser. When I flip the iPhone into landscape mode posts on Motunation are quite readable.
MIDI Life Crisis

Except tapatalk is a paid app. Nothing free so I don't want to see the ads. They also appear to have stopped.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Except tapatalk is a paid app. Nothing free so I don't want to see the ads. They also appear to have stopped.
Is it? I thought at one point they made the base version free and made a deluxe version or something silly like that. When I have time, I'll see if there's a form on their site where I can opt out of the ads they're embedding. If it stopped, it's just a coincidence.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Some (like me) paid for it so if it's free now the paid folks shouldn't see ads IMO. The ads have stopped. If you refresh the tapatalk page and the ad is the top most "post" it disappears. No big deal.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well to those who are interested, I finally found out what is going on. I received the following email today from the Tapatalk folks:
Dear Forum Owner,

Thank you once again to continue using Tapatalk. Connecting people to their passions is what we do, and we know we can’t accomplish that mission without you.

We also understand as Forum Owners you expect having full control over your forum. From the beginning, we have always provided Forum Owners the ability to control various features that we provide, for example image sharing. We are extending that control to the advertisement option.

Last month we sent out an email to you that Tapatalk was going to begin a testing Promoted Topics ad unit as a mean generate ad revenue for Forum Owners. Today, I want to assure you that Forum Owners have full control on displaying ads and receiving revenue on Tapatalk, and this control extends beyond any test period.

While over 84% of our forums have ads on their desktop site, we understand that there are many forums where ads are not appropriate. If you prefer to turn off advertising in your forum, you can go into your Tapatalk dashboard, and disable ads/revenue from Tapatalk. You can use the dashboard to change the settings at anytime.

For instructions on how to turn-off ads, go to our Support Forum/Monetization and Engagement, here is the link to the full instruction

If you previously change the settings, or previously sent a request that ads from Tapatalk be turned-off, those settings remain in place and no action is needed.

In the next update, we will provide you some of early results of our advertising tests, including the payment schedule etc.

If you have any question, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at xxx@xxxxxxxx.com

Regards,
Eric Sternbach
Head of Community Monetization
Tapatalk
I hid his email address just so he doesn't get too much spam. Anyway, it looks like I can disabled this. Unless I get greedy that is!!! LOL Doris, might want a raise! :)

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I figured out how to turn this off. I guess Tapatalk started an advertising program and opted forum owners in by default. It's turned off now. Although I think I made a whopping $14 over the last 6 months or so. The ads are going bye-bye... along with my $24/year. :)