Popular vs bwtter

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
twistedtom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Popular vs bwtter

Post by twistedtom »

Just becouse somthing is more popular does not always make it better. I have a vHolt video cam that I use on my ski helmet, a freind has a GoPro video cam. I do the mixing of the video and the difference is huge, the GoPro is no whare nere as good in video quaility and sound, it jumps out at you there is such a difference. But every one thinks GoPro as they do a good job of selling their camera.
So next time some one says crap, and tells you about ProTools, or Logic just remeber what I said.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Popular vs bwtter

Post by James Steele »

Bwtter? :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I use a lot of stuff that isn't real popular but is WAY bwtter.

Price
---------- = Value
Performance

For example, I love my Tascam DM3200 console and interface card. Stupid cheap for its amazing feature set, and it still manages to sound really good. Not a lot of them out there, but there should be.

Also, DP. I've used ProTools and Logic Pro, each for long periods, and was always happy to come back to MOTU. My current recording rig is so integrated and so solidly dependable that I never even think about.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

One must face.
Fat fingers on an iPad = bwtter. Better :oops:
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

twistedtom wrote:Just becouse somthing is more popular does not always make it better. I have a vHolt video cam that I use on my ski helmet, a freind has a GoPro video cam. I do the mixing of the video and the difference is huge, the GoPro is no whare nere as good in video quaility and sound, it jumps out at you there is such a difference. But every one thinks GoPro as they do a good job of selling their camera.
So next time some one says crap, and tells you about ProTools, or Logic just remeber what I said.
I agree with you for the most part. But, like many things in life, there is no ONE program that does it all. Having had to work in Pro Tools agian, I will tell you that elastic time in Pro Tools SMOKES DP so bad, that DP almost doesn;t get out of the starting blocks in the race.
Pitch correction=DP
Pro Tools now has SEPARATE audio engines for input and play back that allow one to run INPUT buffers at effing 32 samples!!!! OMG!!!
Audio sound quality=I am hearing DP sounds way better..’And so on and so forth.
I know this is a forum for DP, but sometimes I feel the conversations around here liken a DAW choice to being married, where if you use or speak well of another program, it is like cheating..lol.
So yes, Pro Tools is more popular, and yes, it is “better”, and then, DP is “better”...and in some case, logic may be “better”.
I sure do “prefer” DP. But I am starting to wonder about the word “BWTTER”?..lol
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Bewitched, bothered, and bwttered am I.

Wheelie I am.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Bewitched, bothered, and bwttered am I.

Wheelie I am.
Oh dude..Not to toot my own daughter’s horn, and I don;t want anything public until she gets her deal and record out, otherwise I’d post a link, but man do I have a GREAT version of her singing that tune. 17 yrs old with a voice as mature as 40+. I do records all day and hearing her makes me shake my head every time. There is something truly magical about 2nd generation musicians and singers.....toot toot
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

I agree with you when it comes to music programs they all have their strengths, and it can also be what you are used to working with. My point is that some people think if your not using Protools or Logic you'er 2nd class due to all the hype around them. I am not going to switch DAWs just to be cool and with it.
Gopro does not have as good of video or audio quality as Contour hold does, I will not back down on that.
I want to hear your girl sing. Can she dance? LOL :sorry: I think some of the pop stars are better dancers than singers, I am being judgmental, sorry, it is all art. I tot I bwtter say dat. :shake:
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

twistedtom wrote:I agree with you when it comes to music programs they all have their strengths, and it can also be what you are used to working with. My point is that some people think if your not using Protools or Logic you'er 2nd class due to all the hype around them. I am not going to switch DAWs just to be cool and with it.
Gopro does not have as good of video or audio quality as Contour hold does, I will not back down on that.
I want to hear your girl sing. Can she dance? LOL :sorry: I think some of the pop stars are better dancers than singers, I am being judgmental, sorry, it is all art. I tot I bwtter say dat. :shake:
She doesn't dance. Her dancing would be an insult after hearing her voice. It would be like asking Ella Fitzgerald to do a 2 step...lol.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

The dance bit was a joke on how one has to put on a good stage show to make it in any popular kind of music, and I understand that people want a show when they buy tickets. I feel a good voice is the best thing to have.