Kiss Cakewalk good-bye...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Kiss Cakewalk good-bye...

Post by bayswater »

Gibson seems to go companies under receivers or controlled by hedge funds. So if we just keep MOTU financially healthy, there should be no interest from Gibson. And they have a DAW and a company that makes interfaces. They really need a keyboard maker.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:
bayswater wrote:
mhschmieder wrote:Actually, this is yet another step in Gibson’s aim to become the largest music and sound business in the world"? That will take a lot of acquisitions. Hope they keep their hands off MOTU.
Oh man!! You're gonna give me nightmares!! That would be frightening! :)
That sort of possibility is the only reason I keep paying attention to other DAWs. If something happened to DP, I could continue in Logic until I found something better, but it would be painful. I don't think MOTU is going to sell to anyone. In the music business, MOTU is one of the most unique companies out there. What other companies have stayed intact for almost 30 years? It's a different kind of company. From the beginning, their stuff just made sense to me.

Actually, if anything happened to MOTU, I think I'd stop my Mac upgrades right there and live out my days with the newest system that could still run DP.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

Gibson is where DAW's go to die.

And they're not so good at guitars either. :vomit:
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

SixStringGeek wrote:And they're not so good at guitars either.
Can't help thinking you have more to say on that topic.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Gibson seems to be getting their act together this past year, just as Fender did a few years ago. I finally have two Gibson guitars; a Firebird guitar and a Thunderbird bass. Both are huge improvements over anything available for the past 35 years from that company.

Therefore, I am more hopeful about Gibson's stewardship of recent purchases than their past history would suggest. But definitely my friends who use Sonar are looking for alternatives now, even if just as a backup plan.

At least MOTU is close to Cakewalk headquarters so maybe those people have good employment opportunities should Gibson decide the company should die.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH