Miley Cyrus, Wrecking Ball video

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
twistedtom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Miley Cyrus, Wrecking Ball video

Post by twistedtom »

Yahoo posts what they feel is news on the yahoo site, much of it is just about celebrities. There was one on Miley Cyrus and here video Wreaking Ball saying how she was nude and how bad this is. So I had to see for myself, she does not show that much not like a movie or an underwear add, I think the over use of Auto tune was her worst offence.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Miley Cyrus, Wreaking Ball video

Post by James Steele »

I don't know if I saw that, but I'm scarred for life from seeing her hanging her tongue out and "twerking" at the VMAs. Is it now a 3-way race with Madonna and Gaga to see who can "out-weird" the other?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

twistedtom wrote:...I think the over use of Auto tune was her worst offence.
for me, the worst offense was that it was a crap video of a crap song, performed ("crappily"??) by a crap artist...
otherwise, had no problem with it!!
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Miley Cyrus has a video out?

(yawns, goes back to mixing latest project).
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Yes it is bad; she licks a sledge hammer and a wrecking ball, a bit sleazy IMHO. I admit I only looked at the video to see what all the fuss was about, not to see her nude of course. I actually had never heard he music before, with her name I had thought she was country. I do not know who her audience is, but if it is young teens and preteens I do not think she would be the best role model.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

williemyers wrote:
twistedtom wrote:...I think the over use of Auto tune was her worst offence.
for me, the worst offense was that it was a crap video of a crap song, performed ("crappily"??) by a crap artist...
otherwise, had no problem with it!!
yes! :lol:
magicd

Post by magicd »

Miley Cyrus uses DP for on stage playback. Yes, DP can be used as a twerk enhancement tool. :headbang:

Dave
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

So see guys she's one of us! :lol:
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
Softwares | DP 11.22 | VEPRO7 | Audio Interface | M4 |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

magicd wrote:Miley Cyrus uses DP for on stage playback. Yes, DP can be used as a twerk enhancement tool. :headbang:

Dave
I can't find that in the Commands window.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I'm sorry I watched it.
So far nobody knows.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I think the twerp's twerk needs tweaking.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I would say that , for today's world, she is a very good writer and singer. She is weel trained by her father.
I don’t know where all the antagonism quite comes from. I have a daughter that could change the world with her voice. So I live with someone who is better. I mean, There are levels of vocals like Bocceli and others, that are miles above miley. And I come from the world of John COltrane, Charlie Parker, Miles, Chic Corea...etc..and the true greats... so of course, I could put any of today;s artists in the trash can up against that.
But one has to look in context. She out sang Katy at the iheart music festival.
In context, I think Miley is just fine. I also think she is brave and yes, young and dumb a bit, like all teen idols that want to prove their sexuality. But xtina got all sexy after her 1st cd, as others have in the past. Slamming Miley seems to be a fad. I think people also were critical of coltrane. I don;t compare the two in any way. But it shows that there seems to be a critical mass of criticism, and once crossed, every one jumps on the band wagon.
Now, I am not going to go back and forth after this comment into a debate about Miley. Think what you want. But I thought I;d chime in on the side her abilities...in CONTEXT of course.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I have nothing positive to say about the music. The video is going to be every 13 year old boys favorite 'secret' video for sure.

My favorite part of the whole thing is the interview with Billy Ray Cyrus where he blames The Devil and David Lynch for her actions! :lol: The Onion couldn't have written a better parody of a dads reaction! :lol:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Michael... we're skirting the "religion" topic here as don't know if your post was slamming Billy Ray or Christians in general. Care to take a swipe at Buddhists next?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I think everyone here that "slams" Miley, would take a gig with her in a heartbeat. Those here who know my resume know I work in may many genres. But I never slam one for another.
Too much hate...too much envy going on here.

I have some advise: I produce pop music for a living, but I also play hard ass, no holds barred, straight ahead Jazz. This keeps my musical side happy.
Yes, i could be an extremist and just do hardcore jazz.
And sometimes I wonder why I do pop.
But if I do pop, I never complain about it nor try to make it something it is not.
I don't go working with Miley and frown upon her at the same time. I do a good job for her or any pop artist I am working with. When I find myself bitter or critical, I go blow jazz that would melt your socks off. And if ever that doesn't suffice, I will leave the pop world behind.
So , I think the choice is this: be a purist and leave all commercial endeavor behind, at which point you can slam all pop artists, or, do commercial music, even movies, and realize IT IS WHAT IT IS. In that regard, Miley is a great example of a VERY successful pop artist, that's all she is supposed to be,,,don't use complaining about her as a method to show your musical intelligence or superiority. You want great music?, GO MAKE IT, Get over it!

ps.
This retort is NOT about Miley. It is about us musicians.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc