Please tell me about iLok no down time option.

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
twistedtom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Please tell me about iLok no down time option.

Post by twistedtom »

what is the option for "no down time" all about? Is it something I should get? I do have a second ilok I got with some software, I could use if one broke. I see there is a new ilok out, what is the difference between it and the old blue ones? Thanks for any help guys.
The iLok manager works better than the old ways, IMHO.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
billf

Re: Please tell me about iLok no down time option.

Post by billf »

The zero downtime kicks in if you have an iLok that no longer works (i.e. gets stolen, or you break it for some reason, or it just dies). I believe Shooshie posted a thread a few months ago about his experience with ZDT, which details the process quite nicely. I have not had to use it, thankfully. But I do have it and think it is worth the small cost.

The blue iLoks are version 1 hardware, and no longer sold new. You might find them on Amazon if you think you need a backup. The newer iLoks are version 2. This part was also covered by Shooshie. If I find the thread, I'll update this with the URL.

Added:

Tom, here is the thread where Shooshie details his experience with ZDT and iLok 1 and iLok2:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... hilit=ilok
Last edited by billf on Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I've been using the blue ones and had one develope a short. I held it in working position and transferred the authorizations to a backup a few years ago.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Thanks, I read all the posts on that thread. I have a second 1st gen. iLOk that is registered with them, so I would think I could just move the authorizations to it. So the ZDT thing makes it so I do not have to de-authorize the bad one to transfer the codes? It looks like I would then need to send the bad unit in to get the authorizations permanent? So with out ZDT I would have to wait out the mail to use my protected programs? If this is true I am getting ZDT for sure. I may even order the new iLok.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

But both iloks need to be seen by the computer to do what I did. I don't believe you can copy the south to a new ilok while the dead ilok still has authorizations.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
billf

Post by billf »

twistedtom wrote:Thanks, I read all the posts on that thread. I have a second 1st gen. iLOk that is registered with them, so I would think I could just move the authorizations to it. So the ZDT thing makes it so I do not have to de-authorize the bad one to transfer the codes? It looks like I would then need to send the bad unit in to get the authorizations permanent? So with out ZDT I would have to wait out the mail to use my protected programs? If this is true I am getting ZDT for sure. I may even order the new iLok.
Tom, the way I understand ZDT is you get temp authorizations for use on a good iLok, and send the broken one to Pace. They verify things, then send you the permanent licenses. I'm not sure if they send you a new iLok or just the permanent licenses, but I think it is the latter. Regardless, the idea is to keep things up and running while the bad is replaced with the good.
twistedtom wrote: So with out ZDT I would have to wait out the mail to use my protected programs? If this is true I am getting ZDT for sure. I may even order the new iLok.
Yes correct. The temp licenses serve as a bridge.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

I went to their site and checked it out, you need an iLok 2 to use it. So that means I need to get 2 iLok 2s and pay the fee, so $130, then $30 a year.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have a blue iLok with ZDT which I renew. None of my licenses require iLok 2. I expect to buy one soon just in case.

You do not need to buy 2 of the new iLoks unless you intend you retire your blue now or plan on buying something that requires v.2.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Waves doesn't offer ZDT, since they have their own system, is this still correct?

How about VSL's stuff (VE Pro and their libraries)? They use another system and I think they don't have a similar thing...

How do we know which vendors are subscribed to ZDT and which ones aren't?

This is something I've been meaning to do for ages... :?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
billf

Post by billf »

twistedtom wrote:I went to their site and checked it out, you need an iLok 2 to use it. So that means I need to get 2 iLok 2s and pay the fee, so $130, then $30 a year.
If your current licenses are on an iLok 1, you can use a spare iLok 1 as backup. Pace doesn't sell them anymore, but I found the blue ones on sale at Amazon during the summer for about $20. So definitely look around.
billf

Post by billf »

FMiguelez wrote:Waves doesn't offer ZDT, since they have their own system, is this still correct?

How about VSL's stuff (VE Pro and their libraries)? They use another system and I think they don't have a similar thing...

How do we know which vendors are subscribed to ZDT and which ones aren't?

This is something I've been meaning to do for ages... :?
ZDT is for any and all iLok protected licenses.

Waves does use their own system and that is all covered by WLC and WUP. Older Waves stuff was on iLok, so if you're running that stuff, then ZDT might be an option.

I'm not sure about VSL because I don't own it.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

ZDT is for any and all iLok protected licenses
Actually, not correct. Some manufacturers do not support the granting of temporary licenses.

One of the issues that I have had with PACE and the iLok is the lack of consistency among manufacturers regarding how licensing is handled. I am hoping that the new license manager will bring some order to this but there's no reason to expect that.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

MIDI did you just grab and copy the iLok to the other one?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you have two working iLoks, there should be no problem transferring licenses from one to the other with the usual caveats (iLok II only licenses can't be transferred to an iLok I, the licenses must be registered to you etc.).

Both iLoks must be working and connected to usb ports on the same computer. The documentation with the new license manager assures us this will be no problem still ("I Am the Great PACE! Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!")

The operational word here is working. If your iLok is broken, you can't access the licenses nor can you transfer them to a working unit. This is what ZDT is designed to protect you against. You get temporary licenses while you send the broken unit to PACE. They verify that, yes, you have valid licenses on the old unit and then get your other iLok functioning with your purchased licenses.