iOS 7

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: iOS 7

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Still loving iOS 7 here.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Don't really understand why folks are having a problem navigating music. Seems straight forward enough.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm not loving iOS 7. The lack of contrast in the phone - anyone remember that is the core app? - is driving me a bit nuts. I hate that I now have to wear my glasses to use my damned phone.

I'm trying to see if there's a way I can increase the contrast but haven't found a way.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Mike, if you go to Settings>General>Accessibility there's a setting called Increase Contrast. This might help. Can't say for sure. It says "Improves contrast on some backgrounds to increase legibility." :? Doesn't seem to do much on my 4S.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Also try increasing the brightness.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The household iPad mini got updated accidentally yesterday. So far, it's all good. The icons look a bit flat but they're no less usable, and the new gestures and functions work well.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Phil O wrote:Mike, if you go to Settings>General>Accessibility there's a setting called Increase Contrast. This might help. Can't say for sure. It says "Improves contrast on some backgrounds to increase legibility." :? Doesn't seem to do much on my 4S.

Phil
It increases contrast the tiniest bit in the phone... and helps a lot, actually. Thanks!

Calling out wasn't the big deal - you kind of expect to have to put on your reading specs to navigate contacts and the like. It was answering the phone, finding the speaker button, voice mail etc. the grey/pastel on white was not good enough. Increasing contrast now makes it black/red/blue - the lines are still quite fine but now I can see them. Since I do this all one-handed, it's a big deal for me.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

You might try inverting colors in the accessibility settings.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Prime Mover wrote:Okay, I went ahead and installed it, and I have very mixed views. I applaud apple for really embracing a design philosophy... Not sure whether I completely agree with it. When GUI designers first started using drop shadows and bevels, some of us scoffed at it, but then I talked to some visual design theorists who convinced me that a lot of the 3d and texturing really helped to separate elements and define function. I've really come to see that. And iOS7 proves that all the better... It's a little more difficult to understand functions of the design elements. Also, apple has become so intent on making the interface invisible that, as you would expect, often times it takes a second to find interface elements when you need them! So counter to the huge wave of ioS7 appologists, I'm not convinced that this total minimalism direction is a great functional design idea. I do think the massive drop shadows and 3d bells and whistles had gone too far, but this strikes me as a bit over reactionary... Sorta like 90s music from the 80s. I'd like some of the useful interface attention-getting elements to come back.
This is exactly how I feel about iOS7 too. And I'm no fan of pastel colours and so much is bright white I have to wear shades to use the phone now! ;)
Apple usually goes all in on new looks and then slowly starts tuning it. Like with the Aqua interface in early Mac OS X.
For the most part, I think iOS7 looks really really bad. Horrible even.
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
MIDI Life Crisis

If you didn't update in iTunes you can reset the iPhone and restore from an iTunes backup to iOS 6 or whatever version was on the last backup iTunes.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I don't know if I would go that far. I think your aqua analogy is very accurate, I have a feeling they'll tone it down and it'll be great. Another thing I applaud them for is going against the "dark interface" trend that a lot of developers are pushing. Adobe CS6 was practically unusable on its default settings. Thankfully there's a lightness slider... It goes from black to medium... It used to go from medium dark to light, so you see the trend. There are arguments each way, but generally, really dark with light text tends to increase long term eye strain. That says, iOS7 goes too far and is a bit blinding. They don't even include many dark wallpapers , which ironically, make the interface look the most legible! But slap some dark wallpaper on there and it really looks good.

MLC, glad you're liking iOS7. But humor me for a second: go into music in artist view, and go to an artist you have that has many albums, like over 8. Now to try to find one song that you like. Think about how long it takes, and how easy it could be to swipe past it. And even when you get there, keeping it on the same album isn't a given. That's what it's like for me all the time. Most of the music I listen to is by artists that have many albums, and I like to have full discographies, so 15 albums isn't abnormal. That's easily 20 pages of swiping. Add to that that the artist album view is no longer sorted alphebetically but but release date, which is cool but often wrong because of rerelease and alternate printings, and even finding the album amongst a slew of tracks can be a bit of a hunt. I listen a lot while driving. It used to be very quick and safe for me to hold up the phone at a stoplight and tap 3 time to get to a track is like to play. Now it's considerably longer. Maybe not so much at other times, but when I'm driving it's pretty concerning.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:If you didn't update in iTunes you can reset the iPhone and restore from an iTunes backup to iOS 6 or whatever version was on the last backup iTunes.
Actually, this has been talked about at length on various websites and doesn't work. Backups, it seems, don't preserve OS data, only user data. The iphone is stuck with whatever OS is on it. Even if you reformat it, when you try to re-install an OS, during the process, the computer goes online and checks with Apple as to whether it's okay. Apple has locked out iOS6, so it won't pass. People have been trying many workarounds, and it seems there has been no success.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm good with the minor tweak. My day gig is quite phone intensive- mostly answering. I'll get used to where things are and the like and that will make things much better.

I may try inverting the colors but not today.
MIDI Life Crisis

I see your point with artist view. You could use the search feature, no?

I wouldn't think that if you denied iTunes Internet access that it would force an OS on you. iTunes downloads the OS (at least software update does) so it must be in there somewhere or even in a backup.

What I don't like in 7 is the unreliable swiping to get the control center and search. Doesn't always work as designed, but otherwise the GUI is really very nice for my use.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Search is worse, the thing I liked about the old way was it was simple and accurate for when my hands are pretty much already busy. I didn't have to hunt and peck anything into a text field. It also really doesn't solve the whole "one album at a time", thing, often I just want to see one album and no others. Seeing that some accidental movement could send the scroll flying miles away from the album you're playing, it just doesn't feel right.

Well, about the downgrading, I don't know what to tell you. I haven't tried it, but I've read many posts on the matter, and for some reason or another (maybe something we're not thinking of), it's IMPOSSIBLE to downgrade at this time. There is something about it tying into the mother ship, I'm not sure if it's by internet, or whether iTunes automatically received the signal and stored it, but all the experts are saying that unfortunately, it can't be done. All these theories we're suggesting are interesting in understanding the system, but people who know it much better than us are saying otherwise. If it were a few crazies, it would be one thing, but I've read many trusted sites with non-Apple associated people who've been deconstructing the whole thing from scratch, and they're sure it's not possible, so I'm inclined to believe them.

Actually, I haven't found the swiping to be unreliable, just different and specific. Here's what I've found: offscreen swiping is now just that: you have to start with your finger off the edge of the screen and swipe through it. If you do this, it will ALWAYS work. Maybe there is a few pixels of sweet spot at the edge that you can start from, but it's tough to target, so it's just simpler to drag your finger from off the edge of the glass. Searching is done on the home screen only (still a gripe of mine), and is done by pulling down from anywhere that's NOT the edge. You can even pull from towards the bottom of the screen, it doesn't matter, just stay away from the top edge, that's where the notification center swipe is. Even webpage back/forth swiping seems to work best from off the screen, try it and you'll quickly get used to it.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

An example of how bad many things have become:
In Mail you can now only swipe in one direction to delete mail, and that direction is AWAY from where the ugly square delete button is revealed, so you have to move your finger back to hit it. Not a very elegant solution.

And that's my main gripe about it, I can live with that they made it into white pastel disneyland. But it seems many interface elements are suffering. It's harder to tell what's "clickable" "swipeable" etc... In one of the promotion videos Jony Ive talks about how people now were used to touch interfaces and that they now could remove things and didn't have to make them look like real world objects anymore. And a part that made the old iOS so intuitive was that it was designed so that someone who had never used a touch interface could use it.
I find it so much harder to see things because everything is just white and minimalistic typography now... Nothing stands out.

Regarding the trend for dark interfaces, I work mainly with FCPX and love that interface and really like that they took a similar approach with Logic Pro X... Hope they don't bring too much of iOS7 into MacOS X...

Think it would have been better if Jony Ive had remained only in charge of hardware...
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings