Why doesn't MOTU exhibit at AES?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
TinenTech
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Why doesn't MOTU exhibit at AES?

Post by TinenTech »

The Audio Engineering Society convention is coming up, and MOTU isn't on the list of exhibitors (and hasn't been for a few years; even Avid skipped it for a year or two). It's expensive to have a booth there, especially on the scale MOTU used to do with a place for an audience to sit down and watch demonstrations. But I wish they would have a presence of some kind, even if only a 10' x 10' display with a few clinicians and reps. The exhibit hall is a place to gain and maintain mind-share even if you don't have a blockbuster new product. How come a lot of little companies can afford to come, and MOTU can't? There is something useful for both sides when users can to talk face-to-face with manufacturers, with the hardware hooked up and software being demonstrated live in real time.

MOTU, send Magic Dave to New York for a few days!
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
bayswater

Re: Why doesn't MOTU exhibit at AES?

Post by bayswater »

It's the same reason no one advertises in newspapers any more. There are so many alternatives where you get better access to the specific people you want for a lot less.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

bayswater wrote:It's the same reason no one advertises in newspapers any more. There are so many alternatives where you get better access to the specific people you want for a lot less.
Roger that. I would guess that AES is not very helpful for MOTU.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

We used to sponsor AES and no longer have a booth, and we're in the core business that it's about. It's very expensive. We find it's better to be present and use the show to give presentations, participate in workshops etc. and not so much think of it as a trade show or exhibition. Everyone in my company is a member of AES so we pay our dues.

I asked MOTU about AES (maybe Magic Dave; I forget) and it just didn't seem to be beneficial to them given the core audience and intent of the show. I don't know whether any of them come for the seminars or not. I've never run into any of them in alternate years when it's in SF. I don't go when it's in NY and few from here do anymore. We used to go to every show.

AES is an amazing place to learn from others in the industry. The floor show is necessary because it helps subsidize the educational aspect. But like most trade shows, the focus starts to diverge a bit over time, and other trade shows come along that sometimes start getting more attention than older ones. It's the nature of the technology business.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH