ATH-M50's

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
twistedtom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

ATH-M50's

Post by twistedtom »

I got a a set of ATH-M50 headphones in the mail today, they were a rebate for buying a AT microphone. I have a number of different headphones and these are by far the best sounding ones I have, good bass and very clear, things stand out with them.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
Tobor

Re: ATH-M50's

Post by Tobor »

They're very nice indeed.

I have a few high end headphones, and they stack up very well. Initially I found them a tad uncomfortable, but the headband loosened up and the sound opened up and I love them now.

Nice isolation is another plus, so currently I'm using them as my travel/on-the-go phones. I'm using AKG 271's as my closed/tracking phones in the studio, but should they go down the M50's could carry on without missing a beat.

So to speak.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
mhschmieder

Re: ATH-M50's

Post by mhschmieder »

They are good headphones and especially an excellent buy for the price. I wouldn't use them in critical mixing decisions though as they are a bit bass-biased. But depending on head shape, the instrument they play, and overall preferences, they are often the first choice in my small home studio during "live drums plus ghost tracking" sessions or even overdub sessions.

The Beyer DT-770, DT-880, etc., are more transparent, better balanced, with better imaging and more comfortable for long wear for MOST people (again, head sizes differ and other factors as well). More money though, but worth keeping in mind as a second pair (one is closed and the other is semi-open so they serve different purposes; tracking vs. mixing), should you ever need more than one pair or choose to upgrade.

Right now my ultimate pair for accuracy is the AKG K-702, but for comfort (especially longer sessions) it is the Beyerdynamic DT-880 (the Pro edition wasn't available when I bought mine, but unlike the preferred low-impedance version of the DT-770 PRO, isn't particularly different other than for detachable cable or something like that).

I recommend the ATM's without hesitation to most people at this point. Preferably the ones with the straight cable (they emphasize the curled "telephone cable" at most consumer sites). I think they're also now available in white or silver. They have excellent isolation and better audio quality than the Extreme Isolation cans I bought for drummers to use. The drummers I've worked with these past two years would rather use the ATM's for comfort and sound.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH