An unusual approach to basic music theory based on The Chris

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

An unusual approach to basic music theory based on The Chris

Post by buzzsmith »

Saw this today..,

Very clever, IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Phil O

Re: An unusual approach to basic music theory based on The C

Post by Phil O »

Cute. Meet the Flintstones - funny!
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

What an old chestnut!

And a nice approach to teaching things that you normally have to just absorb.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Cute, and clever approach. Too bad it's one of my least favorite christmas songs, a classification I don't tend to care for in the first places. That said, it's the lyrics that bother me the most, and those are absent, but I still can't get over them.

Only song I know that KNOWS it's making a cliche and meaningless remark and apologizes in advance for it:
"Though it's been said many times, many ways, 'Merry Christmas to you'." <- possibly worst lyrical line ever.

Anyway, still a clever idea, I wonder if they could find some better songs to do it with.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

... and probably the most lucrative Christmas song ever. As Liberace would say: I'm sure they cried all the way to the bank. It also took 45 minutes to write on a hot Summer day on LA.

I wish I could write such a terrible hit song. :rofl:

Actually, I really like the song and this version.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

ps -How bad can the lyrics be if you recall them from memory without blinking a neuron, or a Christmas light for that matter?

Terrible lyrics... indeed!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Prime Scrooge! :mumble:
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Prime Mover wrote: "Though it's been said many times, many ways, 'Merry Christmas to you'." <- possibly worst lyrical line ever.
Worse than

"Someone's knockin at the door
Somebody's ringin the bell
Do me a favor,
Open the door and let em in" ?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

Yes, much worser... it's all about context. But while we're t/o...

War! Hoooh!
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothin'
Say it again...

~ Tolstoy (original title of War & Peace ~ Elaine)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Or...

Up against the wall mother F$%^er

Gimme an M (M)
Gimme an O (O)
Gimme a T (T)
Gimme a U (U)

What's that spell? (DAW)

Huh? :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Much worse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLqQpc5DWp0

I remember getting that album when it was first out. When it got to this track my mind was blown. (That's an expression from way back when for all you yung'ns.)
MIDI Life Crisis

I thought was kind of "beat poet-ish" and not bad until the farts started.

Now THIS is something I always hated.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I love Christmas Song, the lyric, the melody, and the changes. Its fookin' brilliant.

There is no accounting for taste, is there? :lol:
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

OMG, MLC, I forgot all about that song. I remember seeing that old version of Hobbit. It's such a caricature of that fast vibrato folk style (a la "A Mighty Wind"). But those lyrics are rough. Oof. It's playing in the background-- keeps getting worse and worse. It is really funny, though. You win.

Though I was going to put Rod Stewart's "Tonight's the Night" up there as worst lyrics, but this is way worse.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

stubbsonic wrote:I remember seeing that old version of Hobbit....
Well, that was enough inspiration for me to chime in! :wink:
HCMarkus wrote:I love Christmas Song, the lyric, the melody, and the changes. Its fookin' brilliant.

There is no accounting for taste, is there? :lol:
I think there is room for taste accounting, personally. It's one thing to improve upon what's already been done. It's another thing entirely to be the first to do it. Consider what other "new" holiday tunes were being done back then and one's disappointment would grow even deeper by the flood of tripe.

Mel Torme was always (imho) highly underrated as a writer, a singer, and an instrumental arranger.
Phil O wrote:Cute. Meet the Flintstones - funny!
Yep-- It was Torme who did the classic track for an early Flintstones' episode in which Fred as pop singer Hi-Fi sang "Listen To The Mocking Bird". It was a cartoon, but that track was top shelf-- an eternal lesson in how to write for a big band. I still refer to it all these years later from all those years ago.

"Although it's been said many times, many ways..." Even just after WWII, the song seems to nod at what was already considered to be an old and worn out expression as it endeavored to preserve a simple sentiment in the face of post-war (and unspoken) bitterness. It's not only difficult to compare the inspiration of 1946 to that of the 2013 mindset, it's almost unfair to do so.

Honestly, I'm having a hard time finding a better song among its peers. I also struggle to find a better song in the same context from recent years. The tune is what it is as it is, whatever that is. If nothing else, it's a classic.

I love the bridge changes, especially. That was the first song as a kid in which I learned what a bridge was. Figuring out those modulating two-five turnarounds was a lesson in futility at first attempt.

What makes a good lyric and what makes a bad lyric? That's a different topic destined perhaps for a different forum. Is "She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah" a bad lyric beyond that of mere opinion? It resonated with *someone* out there-- a few million of them! I wouldn't mind having written something that became culturally iconic and part of the proverbial "musical lexicon", but until I do, I must sit back in wonder.

This is just my feeble attempt to be objective. I begrudge no one of their thoughts or opinions.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52