Junk art and music.

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Junk art and music.

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

And visa versa.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:And visa versa.
Wow! So true.
DP10.13
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Ok I give in, not everything simple is junk, I never really meant to say that, I just wish you could see the stuff I am talking about that I think is junk, I just do not feel some of this stuff, done a ton of times by the way is of museum quality.
I sometimes think the curators get a bit carried away with some of this stuff, as it is not their money that is being spent.
Some stuff I did with repurposed farm gear, it is simple, no one else has done it to my knowledge, I like the way it looks, it could easily be done by others if they got ahold of this gear. No big talent involved but an idea that lots of people have said the really like. So it must have worked, not every new idea works.

Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

No problem, Twisty. This whole thread is a work of art.

"Twisted Art"

Thumb on silicon with glass and plastic.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

I like doing digital painting and 3D, combining it with photos and or video, and compositing it together, using Photoshop, I use Photoshop and After Effects for video effects, and compositing. Here is a site of some very talented people working in this. I can only wish to be half as good as many of these people. A number of them are making movies, or video games, some of the most talented artists of today are making movies and video games.
The site has some nice books for sale.

http://www.cgsociety.org

Also I am sure a number of you belong to Creative Cow, if you have never checked out the Cow you will find a ton of stuff there.

Ok to continue the discussion; what do you think of graffiti? Art or vandalism?
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

My wife’s cousin and her husband have a company in Seattle that makes museum exhibits, they do work for museums all over the world. They have a number of talented people working for them, we are close to them and see them regularly as my wife and her cousin grew up together. This is one of the projects he did for the Seattle Music Experience. A number of the instruments play music from a computer that runs it. The guitars have a tuning system on them, and the instruments that play have animatronic robotics playing them. I think it is quite a work of art.

Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

The idea that everything that lies outside your sphere or personal enjoyment is "junk" is anathema to creativity.

I am not famous or even my own favorite writer or producer, but my work gets better and more interesting year by year. I really enjoy Steely Dan, and you could here a lot of it in my early stuff. I don't personal enjoy most hip-hop (although I do enjoy the stuff with a sense of humor), I don't like country radio, and I think super-hyper-mega flamboyant and bombastic music like Trans Siberian Orchestra is abominable.

But none of that is "junk." I've learned as much about the strength of repetition from hip-hop as I have from Phillip Glass, learned a ton about handling background vocals from modern country, and even learned from TSO that mega-quantization can create a feeling of massive power.

So, that's what I was saying. When you start hollering "get offa my lawn" at the stuff that bugs you, you're dead. I learned this from my kids.... 20 year ago, I was one of those knee-jerk white guys who said "that rap stuff isn't music," but my kids showed me I was wrong.

There's no such thing as junk art. There's only art you personally don't like, and it doesn't have to justify itself to you or me or anybody.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Ok I give in, you have opened my mind, there is no junk art, just stuff I and many people do not like, so anything goes and it is art.

Once I was in the Boston Fine Arts Museum, there was a yellow light bulb and a lemon sitting together. People were looking at it and making comments as to how ridiculous it was. At this point I went into a dissertation on the meaning of this work, some times I am a bit of a performance artist. I really laid it on, and people started to gather around to hear what I was saying. In the end I said, I was just making up what I said. At the end I said it looked like the two shapes were somewhat similar, and the artist must have had as good of line as I did. Every one was smiling and some laughing. So this was performance art dealing with the state of art today.
MIDI Life Crisis

Fact is, all art is basically useless. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Unless it is food, then you can eat it. :lol:
MIDI Life Crisis

Perhaps. But it still comes out art the other end. Ha ha ha...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have always thought that Jackson Pollack was perhaps the most important artist of the 20th C.

Not because of anything he created but because he was the first artist of note who declared that his works had no meaning besides what the audience brought to them. To him, they really were just spatters of paint on canvass and nothing more.

He declared them meaningless and people still shell out million$ for them. At some level, like or loath his work, you have to love his audacity. Lord, knows, I do.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

mikehalloran wrote:I have always thought that Jackson Pollack was perhaps the most important artist of the 20th C.

Not because of anything he created but because he was the first artist of note who declared that his works had no meaning besides what the audience brought to them. To him, they really were just spatters of paint on canvass and nothing more.

He declared them meaningless and people still shell out million$ for them. At some level, like or loath his work, you have to love his audacity. Lord, knows, I do.
I'm a Pollock defender.

Pollock was incredibly and unbelievably intricate in his work. His fractal layering and dimensions are unmatched by any artist of any time. He was a true genius and a great artist. I wish he would have lived into his seventies or eighties.

Blue poles: number 11 (212.1 x 488.2 cm) (7 ft x 16 ft.)

Right-click the one below and choose View Image(or whatever your browser says) to see the entire image large.

If you saw this in person, it might just make you pass out. It's that powerful. It's also estimated now at $180 million.

http://www.wikipaintings.org/en/jackson ... -paintings

Now that's art.

He was a hard working and dedicated artist.

Edit: Changed Blue Polls to Blue Poles
Last edited by Dan Worley on Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

I agree. And he could drink any one of us under the table except Doris (AKA Marge).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

The alternative station started to play club, dance music from 10;00 PM to 12 midnight on Saturday. This music is made by DJ’s that have those pads with buttons to play loops and some electronic turntables to go. Some of it is not too repetitive, and has some interesting textures and beats. Mostly it is all very similar and drones, I can see where this is good for dancing. How familiar are you with this sort of music?