RIP Marian McPartland (95)

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

RIP Marian McPartland (95)

Post by mhschmieder »

She lived a good long life and remained energetic and focused up to the end.

I had the pleasure of meeting her twice. Once at Age 14, when she signed her autograph on one of her albums, with a personalized message at a Cambridge MA concert (it was my birthday). Then again in Oakland CA at a concert, when I was in my late 40's. Would you believe she did a double take and recognized me, remembering the specifics of the conversation we had had over 30 years prior?

Well, I tell that story because it illuminates what type of person she was, even beyond her magnificent Piano Jazz program on NPR. Considering the struggles she had in being accepted as a woman in the then-all-male world of jazz, it is even more remarkable how unselfish she was once she achieved success. Rather than jealously hold onto it, she was eager to share with as many others as she could. And she always approached her impromptu joint improvisations on her program from the point of view of the other person.

If I had chosen a different path in life and had made music performance my primary vs. secondary vocation, there is nothing I would have wanted more than to be on her program and have the chance to experience that magic.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: RIP Marian McPartland (95)

Post by Prime Mover »

Wow! I didn't even know she was still alive tbh! I saw her about 15 years ago or so in concert, she was about 80 and she absolutely rocked the place! Funny, she had these younger guys playing with her and they had to help her on and off the stage, but once she sat down she lost like 50 years! She really looked like a sweet old grandma, but she had a real sarcastic whit and casual demeanor you don't usually see in people that age. One of the best jazz performances I've seen in my time.

Speaking of which, this year Bela Fleck and Chick Corea are touring together and they're coming up to Fairbanks! Bela WAS the greatest performance I've ever seen, and I love Chick Corea, so I'm pretty excited.

But I digress. Marian did so much for jazz, and introduced generations of audiences to the very best, along with being one of the greats in her own right. Her life will be celebrated.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy