Mountain Lion? Meh...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mountain Lion? Meh...

Post by Shooshie »

Interesting that I came across this thread for the first time today, the day I finally threw out my old G4 PowerMac, which since February 14, 2007 has sat on the floor beneath my workbench and served as a platform for storing things I don't want on the floor. Even the computer that replaced it, a Mac Pro dual duo, went out the door the day it was replaced with a 2012 Mac Pro (which I'm using as we speak). For some reason I just couldn't part with that G4 PowerMac. What if I wanted to play Sim City 4 Rush Hour again? But there is no force on earth that will get me to reconfigure that old Mac, or any of my oldest Macs, perhaps excepting my 1984 128K Macintosh.

Even if I did need to go back, DP can open all my old files, clear back to the beginning in Performer.

As for Mountain Lion, I tend to side with those who are impressed with it, though I've had a lot of trouble with the Finder. (nothing new, just still not fixed) It takes a while to realize how things have changed, mostly for the better.

By the way, David Polich, if you take advantage of the new scrolling direction, your faders in DP will work backward. That is, unless they've fixed that recently. I turn off "natural" scrolling.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

David Polich wrote:But anyway, we're talking Mac OS, not iOS, right? Siri isn't part of the
Mac OS.
Will be soon.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Driving down the highway, asking Siri to change the music is much safer that looking at my phone which is also illegal. That's what she's there for.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I dunno, I've had some pretty distracting arguments with Siri. Most times I just say "screw it" and do it myself.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
MIDI Life Crisis

I never let her cook. She sucks at that, but she's great at taking out the garbage, playing tunes, and finding gas stations and I only tend to ask her stuff when I'm driving. Frankly I'd prefer hr with John Cleese's voice but if I have to listen to her whine ever so often that's ok. If she wasn't there that'd be fine as well nothing to get worked up about.

Siri: close tapatalk and play Jethro Tull. Loud! :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

The lappy I use for the home entertainment system came with Lion and I upgraded it to 10.7.4.

What I'd love to know is whether or not Mountain Lion allows you to use the arrow keys to navigate folders without the OS's resetting of the pane widths. This has proved to be a major PIA on the lappy, and I cannot envisage putting up with it on my main machine; I'd seriously go nuts. Column view has always been my choice and I don't want to have to change that.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:What I'd love to know is whether or not Mountain Lion allows you to use the arrow keys to navigate folders without the OS's resetting of the pane widths.
It works the same as Lion. I think you can get the pane view to auto adjust the widths, but then now and then you get a file name with 200 characters and the layout becomes unusable.

For me, none of the Finder views work for everything, so I use the keyboard shortcuts. Left thumb on the left Command key, left fingers selecting the four views, and right fingers on the arrow and backwards/forwards keys. I added Shift-Command-Z for the Finder Window Zoom command (which does not have a preset key command).
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I skipped Lion, waiting for "Snow Lion" (originally a joke), and low and behold, I wasn't too far off the mark. I'm running Snow Leopard on my MacPro 2,1 and I've always wondered whether it would be good to upgrade to Lion or just stay there. The apple store down the street said they were allowed to give me a copy of Lion for free with proof of a ML receipt (which I can provide), unfortunately, I'd need to bring a Mac formatted jump drive, and I'm too lazy to do the reformatting it would take. At this point, I've yet to see any real reason, though there's the possibility that my network could run better (usually takes about 30 secs for one computer to recognize the other for file sharing).

Anyway, so far, it's been pretty good waiting for the "maintenance rewrite" of each OS, so I'm likely to skip Mavericks and go for "Ice Mavericks" or whatever wintery name they choose.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I see a new trend emerging for OSX names. Since Mavericks could be based
on the old show starring James Garner ("Maverick"), they could name subsequent
operating systems "Gunsmoke", "Paladin", "Wyatt Earp", "Bat Masterson", etc.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Mavericks is a beach. Two of the better known beaches around here are Wreck and Wickaninnish.
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

I'm w David, but I think it's Garner shows!!!

Next OS after Maverick: Rockford (best TV show ever.)

:D :D :D
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
MIDI Life Crisis

I'm w Goliath.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Bewitched.
MIDI Life Crisis

I think that Apple should start naming OSs after mythological characters.

Zeus
Hercules
Medusa
Trump
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

May I suggest Hades?

And, hummm... Bacchus?
Last edited by daniel.sneed on Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...