Is DP8 faster on a PC than on a Mac?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
twistedtom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Is DP8 faster on a PC than on a Mac?

Post by twistedtom »

What ever one sets out to prove they have a way of making it happen in their favor to prove what they want. I use both computer systems daily and I know what works best for me. No I am not a gamer don't even care to waste my time doing so. I would love to see a test running the same program rendering 3D animation, or even how many VI's one can run with plugins at the same time, on a real Mac Pro.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I have always found them a bit cumbersome and awkward to use and lacking the finesse and elegance of a Mac. Again, not to bash them, I just don't enjoy working on them or in the Windows OS.
Same here, I find Windows itself really annoying. But once you're in DP, you deal mainly with the DP interface, particularly if you use the CW. The OS doesn't really come in to it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It starts to come into it quickly for me as soon as I have to switch to another program or find the tools I need to complete the project.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Nice of Chad to join in.
I'm not currently in the market for a new machine but when I am I would love to see a parts list to build a PC and compare some specs.
But who knows by then DP may be running on Lunix :shock:
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

wylie1 wrote:But who knows by then DP may be running on Lunix :shock:
Now THAT would be verrry interesting!
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Thanks for the reply, Chad. I didn't realize you were a regular member of the forums. Please don't make yourself scarce if you have the time!
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

The really good news for windows users out of all of this is that DP on windows didn't disappoint a user who is obviously very critical and meticulous about his hardware and software choices.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well, I'm not surprised to see a DP Windows version finally come out and if it gets to be as solid as the Mac version, then who knows what could happen. To be fair about it, MOTU was hardly rewarded by being a loyal Mac-only developer for so long and keeping their flagship app only available on Macintosh. How did Apple reward Mac only developers? By acquiring their own DAW, Logic, and then dumping it cheaply on the market along with lots of included VIs. Seems like if MOTU was going to be competing against Apple they might as well make a Windows version of DP. Dunno. My original point is that Apple never really seemed to care about making life more difficult for their third party developers.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote:Well, I'm not surprised to see a DP Windows version finally come out and if it gets to be as solid as the Mac version, then who knows what could happen. To be fair about it, MOTU was hardly rewarded by being a loyal Mac-only developer for so long and keeping their flagship app only available on Macintosh. How did Apple reward Mac only developers? By acquiring their own DAW, Logic, and then dumping it cheaply on the market along with lots of included VIs. Seems like if MOTU was going to be competing against Apple they might as well make a Windows version of DP. Dunno. My original point is that Apple never really seemed to care about making life more difficult for their third party developers.
Well there are many variables. First off one reason for the acquiring of a DAW for OSX was to get a solid plug in format going. VST implementation in OS9 was abysmal, crashes etc. as PC VSTs were badly ported over. Buying a major DAW and getting it to use AU was part of the deal from everything that could be revealed by Emagic employees. Emagic who made Logic were excited about switching to AU and could be bought, it's very possible that the only reason MOTU wasn't bought is they didn't want to sell.
So it's very possible that the reason for the acquiring of Logic was to push the development of Audio Units and therefore a more guaranteed safe plug in format. Plus a guaranteed DAW that will always be on OSX.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Is DP8 faster on a PC than on a Mac?

Post by James Steele »

Perhaps, but then did Apple stop to consider the ramifications of undercutting other major Mac DAWs on pricing? If the goal was to establish AU as the primary plug-in format, and that was accomplished, why then so drastically reduce the price of Logic? Over on the Windows side, MOTU isn't competing with a company that makes the OS and hardware offering a DAW for cheap because its subsidized by iPhone, iPad and iPod sales.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!