George Duke RIP

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

George Duke RIP

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
twistedtom

Re: George Duke RIP

Post by twistedtom »

I am sad to hear this, i was thinking of him the other day. I have some of is albums and loved his playing. I was introduced to Gorge's music by one of the producers for his record company, the producer came to my collage music class and gave out a bunch of albums. I got a number of them from different artists, but of all of the albums Gorge's were the one's I loved best. The man could play.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Bummer. I saw him at the Hollywood Bowl last year. Great show! Great player.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Wow...and the latest version of Keyboard magazine features him on the cover.
So sad. From what I've read, it may be that he never really recovered from his
wife's death.

A giant of jazz and a great human being.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

RIP George
George was musically a great talent and a very very nice man, I had the pleasure to meet him & hang out with him a few times back in the 70's.George was funny, very nice and totally approachable, we lost a great person as well as an amazing talent RIP.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Sad news. Killer player.
I go clear back to his trio days with Ndugu.
Got to see him just once with Zappa.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

The Zappa archives really need to get their act together and produce a decent master of this material:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnDqHppWS_Q
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

He's been my all-time favourite musician (any instrument) for 26 years and was instrumental(!) in shaping my appreciation of music and indeed life. He was the main man. I've been meaning to start a Dukey thread here for at least 5 years, but never got around to it. Sorry about that. I'd not have had much to say, really, as I'm just a punk with good ears, and would have relied completely on others for thread sustenance.

I think I've got every release of his, and yes, the '80s saw a couple of crappy efforts littered with white-noise snares and brass samples, but many fell for this trap back then; it's like autotune today, I s'pose. Thankfully the couple of duds pale into insignificance numerically. I urge anyone who hasn't explored his '70s releases (early fusion, funk etc) to consider doing so. Don't overlook The Aura Will Prevail and Faces in Reflection either ('73-'74 I think); their awesomeness and uniqueness far surpass my ability to describe them. I like to think of them as representing his transitional phase between his jazz roots and what was to come.

I can't overstate how sad this news makes me. I've dreaded for decades the day that marked the point from which we'd see no more work from George. I'd always hoped I'd meet him one day and be able to thank him for the inspiration and love.

Funk up Heaven for us, won't you George?

Ironic that he died on August 5th, the same date as my best friend and housemate (age 31) several years ago. It's good in that I know I'll always think of him on the anniversary.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here