MOTU MUST FACE --------- a job well done!!!!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Kubi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU MUST FACE --------- a job well done!!!!

Post by Kubi »

:D :D :D

Just want to express how impressed I am with the job MOTU did with the transition from DP7 to DP8. Not even talking about all the improvements in DP8 I've found so far (and there are many), but strictly about how well MOTU thought through the challenges inherent in upgrading from one major version to the next, and how they solved them.

By having an entirely new prefs folder, and in general keeping DP7 and DP8 as separate as possible, they made it possible for me to upgrade to DP8 for a new project that really needs to be done in 64bit, while being able to finish out an album in DP7 with tons of 32bit plugs etc. I know they kept new versions separate in the past, but the separate prefs folder really is the kicker... takes the concept to a whole new level.

Just ran all my old mixes in DP7 after installing the whole DP8 and doing all the customizing, and not a hiccup. I can even keep an entirely separate set of window sets (which is important since the layout changes a bit in DP8.) Really impressive.

MOTU MUST FACE :evil: - the fact that they outdid themselves. :D :D

Bear hugs and shoulder pats for all!

Wish Audioease had gone that same oute when they introduced Altiverb 7. Yeah, they say all the Altiverb 6 settings will be flawlessly loaded into Altiverb 7. Sorry, not risking that when an entire album and four months worth of work are on the line. So I'm going to have to wait to use Altiverb in DP8 until this album is finished...
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
Phil O

Re: MOTU MUST FACE --------- a job well done!!!!

Post by Phil O »

So Mr. U, are you saying I should take the plunge?
I must face?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Just downloaded. I'm about to Face.

Have to make a little list of things to do first like copy Audio Export folder, etc., so can switch back and forth with a minimum of pain. How did you approach this Kubi? Are you running both on the same drive?

On a totally unrelated note, I've been having problems with MOTUNation today....I'll read a post or two and then get a largely black screen, while the bottom says "Waiting for Sweetwater....."
FYI THIMC

Anyway, thanks for the push! I actually found myself playing around with the latest Logic X today while debating whether to take the DP8 plunge. It's rather nice...I think they bought B4, the Vintage Organs have some serious grit. I've had Logic around for six years though, and the next complete project I do on it will be my first.....lots of money down the drain there, but I like the new look. Had to counter it with DP8 before I lost my head!

Here we go DP8!!
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Yes Phil, the water is great! :)

Tobor: Not sure what you mean by Audio Export folder? Regardless, I simply cloned the entire drive (twice actually), which I always do before my upgrade sessions. So i have copies of everything. Note also that I did upgrade everything - first the plug-ins, then the OS, then DP.

I do highly recommend the plunge. Did an entire session yesterday in DP7 on my "legacy" project: Not a hiccup, and - thanks to Mountain Lion, I assume - the Mac is insanely snappier. Not a figure of speech this time, it's able to do a good bit more heavy lifting, even in DP7. So if you're on a MacPro 2008 or later (mine is the 3,1 Early 2008), even if you want to stay w DP7 for one reason or another, I'd say going to Mountain Lion ASAP is highly recommended!!!!

:D :D :D
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I have thoroughly enjoyed DP8. I've stayed out of most of the discussions about problems in DP8, because either I haven't experienced them, or they are borderline user-error/wish-list "problems," or they are niggling little details that have always been there and probably always will be. Generally speaking, DP8 is a great remake of DP7, with improvements. I haven't tried opening projects from 1986, but if they don't work, I have other versions of DP for that. (and I'm not saying they don't open in DP8; only that I haven't tried them. I've always been able to open ALL files I have made since the first version of Performer, in all versions of DP. Incredible backward compatibility. If they cut it loose now or someday, well, they gave us 25 years to convert them; what more can we ask?)

Anyway, I agree with Kubi. They've done a great job. There are still little details they have to work out, but we're talking probably the biggest code rewrite in MOTU's history. To rewrite that much code and to have it WORK, much less work almost without flaw, is… well… it's what I've come to expect of MOTU: an eye toward perfection. Which is why I'm a lifetime user of DP, regardless of what else I may use along the way.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Some extraordinary circumstances with medical bills for a close family member is finally coming to an end and I also start a new job with a band this week (with tons of work already on the calendar). So, soon I'll be back on my feet financially and can start catching up with upgrades. DP8 is at the top of the list. Thanks for the feedback.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

DP 8 is definitely a winner.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:DP 8 is definitely a winner.
+1
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Phil O wrote:Some extraordinary circumstances with medical bills for a close family member is finally coming to an end and I also start a new job with a band this week (with tons of work already on the calendar). So, soon I'll be back on my feet financially and can start catching up with upgrades. DP8 is at the top of the list. Thanks for the feedback.

Phil
So sorry you've had to go through the medical/financial problem. It's like the old Paul Simon song: "believe we're gliding down the highway, when in fact we're slip sliding away." But it sounds like the news is turning for the better, so I congratulate you for staying in there. I wish you a smooth transition into DP8. And of course, we're always here to help.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Thanks Shoosh. Yes, I'm seeing some light at the end of this incredibly long tunnel. 8)

Phil
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yup. A remarkably smooth tansition.

The few issues that arose were immediately whacked on their heads.

MOTU has faced. Now MOTU must face.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here