Equator Audio Research announces the D8 monitors

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Equator Audio Research announces the D8 monitors

Post by Shooshie »

You may remember a few months back seeing the EAR D5 monitors on sale. The price was very low for a pair of monitors, and I bought them. I also bought the Q10, which are their much more expensive monitors. I'm very happy with both. I had to replace one of the Q10's, which somehow had some rattling going on in it, but the replacement came quickly, I sent the other back post-paid, and things couldn't have been easier.

I use the D5's as my computer speakers, and they're also what we listen to most movies and TV shows with. Occasionally I'll break out the Q10's for that, but hey… I have to draw the line somewhere between studio and family.

Well, now they're making an 8" version of the D series, and the process they describe of testing, voicing, subjecting it to a jury, revoicing, and so forth, makes me suspect that the D8 will be pretty amazing for the price. Here's the first paragraph of their announcement:
  • After months of adamant user requests for a bigger D5, the D8 is a reality.

The New Equator D8 maintains the mid-range detail and integrity of the D5 but provides a higher SPL output and an extended low frequency response. It features an 8' coaxially designed woofer with a 1' silk tweeter mounted in the center of the woofer. The exacting cabinet size and the 2 1/2' tuned port are designed to be extremely accurate as well as move some air.

Like the D5, the D8 features a coaxial design with internal DSP. The coaxial designed transducers deliver a phase and time accurate response with minimal mid-range phase distortion. The DSP matches each D8 to a standard output curve insuring impeccable imaging. The system delivers an accurate response from 44Hz to 20kHz. They play loud reaching 106 dB SPL (combined).

Our online direct list price is $777 per pair. ETA is June 28th. Pre-orders are being accepted.
I have not put my Equator Audio monitors side-by-side with Genelec, Adam, or any of the most popular monitors, other than my Tannoys and Yamaha NS10's, but I can tell you that both the D5 and the Q10 are wonderful monitors for their respective classes. Of course, the D5 does not compare to the Q10, but it's only a fraction of the price, and it's not designed for the big jobs like the Q's. However, the D8 is actually REPLACING their Q8, so they must be pretty proud of it. Also… who buys 8" monitors of the big studio class? The D stands for Desktop, I suppose, which is where these smaller monitors shine, and as desktop monitors go, 8" is pretty freakin' large.

So, I give you the announcement and link. The rest is up to you. I certainly recommend the company.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Equator Audio Research announces the D8 monitors

Post by James Steele »

Making me think about selling off my Event ASP8s.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

The videos on the site make compelling cases, don't they? Interesting video from "Cosmic Sound" featuring Leonard with the compelling comb-over. He discusses all the major "big brands" of near field monitors, mostly telling us stuff we already know. But he saves the EAR speakers for last, and speaks in reverent tones about their unusual ability to be placed anywhere in a room, where they can be adjusted to compensate for the acoustics and their placement, which is less critical in the first place because of the co-axial design which does not produce interference between the horn/tweeter and the woofer.

It's apparent that at least some people are taking EAR seriously and placing the Q and D series on a rather exalted plane above most "regular" monitors. I cannot concur with research I have not done, but just simple listening informs me in the way I know best: these monitors are f**king wonderful. Ted should get the Nobel Prize in speaker design!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I had to replace one of the Q10's, which somehow had some rattling going on in it, but the replacement came quickly, I sent the other back post-paid, and things couldn't have been easier.
I had to replace one of my D5s - likewise, couldn't be easier.

Yea, reading about the new D8s... I love my D5s with a subwoofer but these are -- bigger!

For the moment, my wallet is saved by the fact that it would take a complete re-design of my workspace and desktop to accommodate the larger speakers that I don't need. Still...

An early announcement mentioned a trade-up program for D5 owners. I am not seeing that now. I wonder if it will be offered once they ship next month.

When I got my D5s, the first recording I played through them was a monster hit from the '70s. My first reaction was, these things make that french horn sound like crap - what the hell? Then I listened again: The horn was poorly recorded, out of tune and sounded terrible - I'd never noticed it before.

My KRKs are sitting in a corner waiting for me to put them on Craigslist, no doubt.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Oh man...

Equator has the D8s on sale for $699 the pair including the pads plus a $300 rebate if I ship back my D5s.

Normally, the pads are $26 and the D8s are $749 + shipping. I heard the D8s at NAMM and was quite impressed. I run my D5s with a sub and they sound great... But these go to 11!

http://www.equatoraudio.com/D8-Studio-M ... s-p/d8.htm

Hello All,

Summer is in full swing ... and there is no summer fun without music. Time is flying by and you're losing ground if you put off an opportunity to make your music better. To help with that we've made this holiday the right time to move up to a pair of D8 studio monitors. We've had a ton of requests from D5 owners for a 'trade up' plan. The D8s are great. They will give you the amazing mid-range detail the D5's give but they handle the low end much better and hit higher SPL (they have better bass and play louder).

OK, here it is. Here's how it works:

1) Buy a pair of D8s at the holiday price of $699 a pair with free pads & free shipping in the US (that's this weekend after that the D8 price goes back up)

2) Pack up your D5s and send them to: Equator Audio Warehouse, 881 Kuhn Dr #200, Chula Vista CA 91914 (please pack them so they don't get damaged in shipping)

3) Mark the D8 order number with your name on the outside of the box of the D5s you're selling back to us.

4) When the D5s are received, we will issue a $300 check (about 2 weeks to get a check).
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dbl

Post by dbl »

Mike,

I'd love to take advantage of the trade-in offer, but I can't find anywhere on their site where the message you posted is listed. Any leads appreciated...
2017 iMac 4.2 i7, 40 GB RAM, 256 SSD, multiple SSDs hanging. OS X 10.4.4.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The email that I quoted says it all. It may not be posted on the web site. I expect that all registered D5 owners got it but, if you didn't...

3) Mark the D8 order number with your name on the outside of the box of the D5s you're selling back to us.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I see that the link is still good but am passing for now. I have to re-design my space and that won't happen till later this year (I hope). Once I figure out how to get three computer monitors happening on my desk, then larger monitor speakers will be a piece of cake.

Amazing how 'stuff' always fills up all of the available space.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Perfect timing. Thanks guys.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I have both the Q10's and D5's I wouldn't give them up.
Those little D5's can take can sure take a beating love to swap them for the Q8's though.
I also had one of the Q10's crap out on me and was a little worried because of the cross boarder hassle but they sent me a replacement un boxed that sent the old one back in its place prepaid they had all the documents sorted out no problem on my part at all.
Nice doing business with people who care.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I gave a lot of thought to the D8s, but decided that I just don't have room for them. I didn't want to give up the D5, because I love its sound. Maybe after running the D8 I'd let go of the D5. But for now I'll keep the D5.

The Q10s are amazing. I was planning to get some Genelecs, but now I'm not so sure they're necessary. Even so, I use the D5's 90% of the time. The Q10s come out for finishing.

You know? The more I think of it, the more that D8 sounds like it might be the answer. Instead of a D5 and a Q10, the D8 could do it all. If it's got the sound of the D5 and the wallop of the Q10, I think the D8 might be the perfect desktop reference monitor. But I'm speaking of something I have not heard. Just conjecture. It's got me thinking, though.

Shooshie