What could EVER go wrong with the Cloud services?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Can you hear me NOW!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Re: What could EVER go wrong with the Cloud services?

Post by cuttime »

The most bone-headed "cloud" fiasco yet:

http://www.crn.com/news/networking/2400 ... fiasco.htm

I actually bought on of these routers, and was one of the legion of complainers. I might add, Cisco was not forthcoming about this at all, and it took over a week before they finally backed down.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
martian
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by martian »

i'm actually surprised becos I started using drop-box after mobile me went away...

at first I hated it cos it was so dumb

now I like it becos its dumb - uploads dont need to be checked.. etc...

I dont think Its gonna replace a local hard drive for the likes of us for quite a while..

and for me the big drawback is that I live in the countryside not far from the beach..

idylic yes - super fast internet upload sadly no..

Do I worry about security - well a little since sending out links that people can download means anyone can download - I suppose if they had a link?
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

http://www.fork-media.com
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Thank you for putting all your songs, photos and personal information on the cloud, we now own it.
Sincerely The Cloud. :arrrr:
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

It's a little like putting all your stuff in a safe deposit box that anyone with a screwdriver can try to pry open at their leisure.

I still maintain that, other than as a temporary transfer of files, the "cloud" is one of the stupidest services ever. It doesn't offer a false sense of security, it offers NO sense of security.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:It's a little like putting all your stuff in a safe deposit box that anyone with a screwdriver can try to pry open at their leisure.

I still maintain that, other than as a temporary transfer of files, the "cloud" is one of the stupidest services ever. It doesn't offer a false sense of security, it offers NO sense of security.
I couldn't agree more. I really like it for the limited use I get out of it. I'm waiting for someone - pull out my iPhone and look at the book I am reading on my iPad, goes to the right page - that's cool. Have an idea, make a note, read it on my computer later - equally nice. Put anything important out there? Uh... hell no! I'll pass.

I like this from Cicso: "We believe lack of clarity in our own terms of service has contributed to many of our customers' concerns..." Translated: "Damn, someone accidentally told the truth about this service"
Last edited by mikehalloran on Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

twistedtom wrote:Thank you for putting all your songs, photos and personal information on the cloud, we now own it.
Awesome. Explains the Cloud concept perfectly.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I've been 100% behind Magilla all the way, following his arguments in various threads, and cheering for him, as he speaks for me. This thing reeks of all the wrong things. Very wrong things, IMHO. Perhaps 1984 should be mandatory reading for high-school students as it was in the days of yore.

Way to go, Mike!

PS: This was not me as I can't risk feeding the monster yet. Think of it as a perfunctory glimpse into the vacuous vacuum that is in fact me.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
MIDI Life Crisis

Nicky?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
billf

Post by billf »

twistedtom wrote:Thank you for putting all your songs, photos and personal information on the cloud, we now own it.
That sums it up nicely. I am usually pro-technology, but I won't be fooled into using these cloud services. The "cloud" is nothing new, it's just marketing-speak to try to get you to give control of your data to outside parties... for a price. No thanks, I'll maintain my own web server and "share" how I please with my data.
billf

Post by billf »

monkey man wrote:PS: This was not me as I can't risk feeding the monster yet. Think of it as a perfunctory glimpse into the vacuous vacuum that is in fact me.
Wha? Are you telling us this is the Fake Monkey Man?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

A lot can and has gone wrong with cloud services, and no doubt there will be more of the same. The only thing that can prevent the problem is laws and the willingness to observe them. The level of trust that implies seems impossible for a lot of people to grant.

But consider that the only thing that stops phone company employees from recording and selling your phone records, and even your conversations, is the same -- the law and their willingness to obey it. Same with credit cards, banks, governments, police, etc. There are millions of people around with world working for these organization who have access to personal and potentially damaging information. We use these services, and by implication, trust the organizations and their employees to keep our information secure. Sometimes they don't.

It's not specific to cloud services.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

But it would take quite a good hacker to break into a proprietary system. All a hacker in Cloud services needs to do is hack your user name and password, which isn't nearly as difficult as hacking a company site.

Also, look at how Apple has changed their minds about online storage in the past. It is an 'at will' service and can be just as easily revoked or resold to anyone with the cash.

Nope, neither my head nor my data is in the Clouds. Ok, maybe my head — just a little.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:But it would take quite a good hacker to break into a proprietary system. All a hacker in Cloud services needs to do is hack your user name and password, which isn't nearly as difficult as hacking a company site.
I'm not talking about a hacker getting into a proprietary corporate system. That should be a lot more difficult than getting access to our person iCloud accounts. There are loads of employees at all of these business and government organizations that have ready access to all of this info, and there is nothing much stopping them from copying and selling it. Credit card, phone, and banking records are all vulnerable to this. The other thing to consider is that these large organizations have been using cloud services for years to manage their own data.

Maybe the security of iCloud doesn't matter anyway. I just read John Siracusa's review of mountain lion, and his description of iCloud makes it look a lot less useful than it could be. For example, if you saved a MIDI file with DP on iCloud, DP could find it, but FInale could not. On the positive side, it looks like you can have it use only your LAN to sync your own calendars, notes etc, so the data never gets to the Apple servers.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Worst fears about the Cloud confirmed, nails the coffin closed for me, at least -

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/06/tech/mobi ... ?hpt=hp_t3

I hear the Stones singing "Get off of my cloud.."
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com