MOTU has to get VI handling (and CPU usage) on point NOW...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
FutureLegends
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU has to get VI handling (and CPU usage) on point NOW

Post by FutureLegends »

Kubi wrote: Have you tried VE Pro5? It seems that it definitely runs on all cores that are available (though I have not verified this.) Also you may want to get more RAM - I'm running 20GB. If and when you don't run VE Pro or Bidule, be sure to activate Kontakt 5's Memeory server, it makes things a LOT smoother by putting all of Kontakts RAM outside of DP.
Lastly, how full is your main hard drive? I find that having a minimum of 30-40% free makes things a LOT smoother. And I hear miracles happen with SSDs, but have no first hand experience.
I have not. At this point I can't afford buying it. When DP8 is released it will be a real stretch to get the money to upgrade even. Which is why I really hope that the 64bit DP will improve it just enough to make it workable for me. Until I get money for a new machine.

As for our machines, yours is an 3,1 or later, right?
Mine's a 1,1 upgraded to eight cores so system identifies it as a 2,1 now. Problem with these old Mac Pros are that RAM is very expensive. 4gb costs something like $250 here in Sweden. And since this machine is running on borrowed time, investing more into it seems unwise. I'm thinking of getting SSDs if/when I can swing it, because those I can move to my next machine.
One of my theories (besides DP being a bit CPU inefficient. Is that there's memory speed bottlenecks. My MacPro scores somewhere around 2100 on memory in Geekbench. Maybe the shuffling of samples from hard drive to RAM is taking alot of CPU because of that?

My system disk has 100gb out of 250gb free.

Here's a video of the difference inCPU metering in DP and Activity Monito:
http://www.futurelegends.net/studio/Fut ... io/DP.html
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
Matcher

Post by Matcher »

Matcher wrote: That's a bit like making a decision of being an artist or a professional..an artist will choose to work with the tools that inspire him, and a professional will choose whatever tool is available to execute a task. I'm not saying the two ways of working exclude each other, they might even compliment each other.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Let me clarify. The post I bashed takes a "mechanical" and dogmatic view of artists and seems to think that one cannot be both a professional and an artist (whatever that is) at the same time.

You can.

As far as getting along, having spent my full time as a professional artist since 1976, I am passionate about my work and know what it takes to work in this field. To see that distilled down to a catch phrase is infuriating. Insulting actually and in such instances I give no quarter and take no prisoners. I've worked too hard and for too long to see such imbecilic comments get any creedence. So in that sense, no, I can't just get along.

MBP i7, OSX 10.7.4
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Just wanted to add that one thing you guys who have problems with DP might not get is that a lot of you run some freaking heavy sets! Most DAW users don't run 20+ virtual instruments and multiple convolution reverbs plus 30+ other fx plug ins. Personally I run on average about 4 or 5 virtual instruments and a mix of CPU and RAM abusing ones to even the load.

Since my laptop doesn't run in 64 bit mode maybe when I get home later I'll run the demo of Studio One to compare it to DP, Logic, Live etc. I'm still pretty stunned that Studio One is being lauded as a CPU saving host?
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

FutureLegends wrote:
Kubi wrote: Have you tried VE Pro5? It seems that it definitely runs on all cores that are available (though I have not verified this.) Also you may want to get more RAM - I'm running 20GB. If and when you don't run VE Pro or Bidule, be sure to activate Kontakt 5's Memeory server, it makes things a LOT smoother by putting all of Kontakts RAM outside of DP.
Lastly, how full is your main hard drive? I find that having a minimum of 30-40% free makes things a LOT smoother. And I hear miracles happen with SSDs, but have no first hand experience.
I have not. At this point I can't afford buying it. When DP8 is released it will be a real stretch to get the money to upgrade even. Which is why I really hope that the 64bit DP will improve it just enough to make it workable for me. Until I get money for a new machine.

As for our machines, yours is an 3,1 or later, right?
Mine's a 1,1 upgraded to eight cores so system identifies it as a 2,1 now. Problem with these old Mac Pros are that RAM is very expensive. 4gb costs something like $250 here in Sweden. And since this machine is running on borrowed time, investing more into it seems unwise. I'm thinking of getting SSDs if/when I can swing it, because those I can move to my next machine.
One of my theories (besides DP being a bit CPU inefficient. Is that there's memory speed bottlenecks. My MacPro scores somewhere around 2100 on memory in Geekbench. Maybe the shuffling of samples from hard drive to RAM is taking alot of CPU because of that?

My system disk has 100gb out of 250gb free.

Here's a video of the difference inCPU metering in DP and Activity Monito:
http://www.futurelegends.net/studio/Fut ... io/DP.html

Yeah, you won't need VE Pro if you run DP8 in 64bits. As for your RAM issues I understand the dilemma. Tough one, since in my experience RAM upgrade is really the single-best upgrade for any machine, for both performance and stability. SSD should help a little, since it should speed up virtual memory performance by a lot.

A few other points re other posts:

Last I checked Studio One doesn't do anything to picture (correct me if I'm wrong), so it's not even in the running for me...

Counting the cost of additional RAM purchase as a "strike against DP" (as one poster seems to do a little bit earlier) is a bit odd - you'll need to cough that up no matter what. No "efficient code" can make up for lack of memory...

Again, maybe it's time to wait for DP8 and simply stop worrying until then? We all know that a 32bit app is on its way onto the trash heap of history, so of course DP7 can't keep up with 64bit performance. DP8 has specifically been announced as 64bit, so I'm putting my money on it taking care of pretty much all of the concerns listed here...
8)
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

+1 what Kubi said ;-)

I've avoided VEPro with the assumption that a 64bit DP8 will remove the need for such an app for me.
I'd also suggest waiting a bit for the release of DP8 & then add some Ram.
Yeah Ram for the older Macs is expensive,that's the main reason I jumped and bought my Quad even though I would have preferred an 8core,the previous owner loaded it with 24gigs of Ram from OWC and sold the Mac for $1,100 so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the combination of 64 bit w/ a lot of Ram will negate the limitation I have with a Quadcore Mac.
Time will tell............
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Gravity Jim wrote:Again, your grasp of the market is lacking.
The rest of us are simply "talking about shadows."
Well, speaking of shadows, I am hoping DP gets it’s VI capabilities out of the dark ages..lol
When it goes 64 bit, it will improve, no doubt. But let’s see if it’s as efficient as the other 64 bit competition.

I hear lots about “completely re-written” code.
I don;t know if it is really true or not that old code piles on top of new. That seems overly simplistic as if one is thinking of DP like it’s physically made from wood blocks.
But whatever the case is, the end result I need to see is that DP beats the competition in efficiency for the 1st time ever. 64 bit vs 64 bit.
If it does, I will be very surprised and very happy.
But I bought VE Pro because DP has always been easy to crash and 64 bit or not, I want to put the load on another program that is way more crash resistant, Vienna.
These are indeed interesting times for MOTU. Let’s see how well they step up.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

toodamnhip wrote:
Well, speaking of shadows, I am hoping DP gets it’s VI capabilities out of the dark ages..lol
When it goes 64 bit, it will improve, no doubt. But let’s see if it’s as efficient as the other 64 bit competition.

I don;t know if it is really true or not that old code piles on top of new. That seems overly simplistic as if one is thinking of DP like it’s physically made from wood blocks.
But whatever the case is, the end result I need to see is that DP beats the competition in efficiency for the 1st time ever. 64 bit vs 64 bit.
But I bought VE Pro because DP has always been easy to crash and 64 bit or not, I want to put the load on another program that is way more crash resistant, Vienna.

I'm not a coder but to suggest a rewrite of this magnitude is just possibly a slightly tweaked upgrade is beyond baffling.
Do you think they're delaying the release to just give us an illusion that it's a total rewrite?
I will be happy if DP8 is efficient like other 64bit DAWs, does it have to be better than the others? For me,no.
It just has to be efficient relative to other DAWs.
I'm starting to feel you have a passive aggressive love hate for DP.
I'm not a DP fanboy who can't see flaws in the current incarnation but your comments about DP & MOTU in general seem extremely negative for someone that actually uses it.
curious as well as confused.
KG
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Kubi wrote: Yeah, you won't need VE Pro if you run DP8 in 64bits. As for your RAM issues I understand the dilemma. Tough one, since in my experience RAM upgrade is really the single-best upgrade for any machine, for both performance and stability. SSD should help a little, since it should speed up virtual memory performance by a lot.
Thing is, I didn't notice much difference when I went from 5 to 9gb of ram. And when I run my typical projects Activity Monitor shows well over 4gb available.
Maybe if I got enough ram to load all instruments into it and not stream things would improve. But that would just be too expensive ($500+) because of ram prices for these old machines.
A few other points re other posts:

Last I checked Studio One doesn't do anything to picture (correct me if I'm wrong), so it's not even in the running for me...
I'm not seriously thinking of changing DAW either. I'd rather get VEP before switching DAW. Too much I like and too much time invested learning DP for that, unless I can't get it to work in any other way. But I just need small improvements so it at least runs smoothly at 256 buffer with possibility to go 128 when recording percussive and staccato parts.

And I agree that there's no need to really worry unless there's no improvements in DP8... Then we really need to have this discussion ;)

But since my creativity is really hampered by having to fight technology instead of writing songs, DP8 can't be released soon enough...
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

kgdrum wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:

I'm not a coder but to suggest a rewrite of this magnitude is just possibly a slightly tweaked upgrade is beyond baffling.
Do you think they're delaying the release to just give us an illusion that it's a total rewrite?
I will be happy if DP8 is efficient like other 64bit DAWs, does it have to be better than the others? For me,no.
It just has to be efficient relative to other DAWs.
I'm starting to feel you have a passive aggressive love hate for DP.
I'm not a DP fanboy who can't see flaws in the current incarnation but your comments about DP & MOTU in general seem extremely negative for someone that actually uses it.
curious as well as confused.
KG
OK, I will settle for what you said- DP being “efficient”.
If I come to a point where my description of DP equates to that word in any way, I will be very happy.
As far as your psychological analysis; there are some producers/musicians/writers/ who encounter limitations in their tools with tolerance or even a smile, and there are some that get pissed off wanting more, wanting excellence, not being “reasonable” or “understanding” not settling for-- “it just can;t be done right now...be glad for what we have”...

That is not me. I want what I WANT and demand my tools work.
After yrs of inefficiency sure I am a bit aggressive, and many times I wish to leave this program.
But it is what I know best and I don;t have the inclination to learn other programs when i am so busy.
I will tell you this though, the moment MOTU get's it right, (if ever), i will be one of it’s biggest advocates,,,,I have been a big advocate in the past, bringing DP BACK into some of the highest echelons of the industry when “Pro Tools” was the only DAW in an area.
There is benevolence in me, Just watch and see.

It takes a pendulum of perspectives to make a universe, consider mine the "demanding one".
You sound like you are in the middle, good for you. And then there are those that are happy no matter what.

Enjoy the gamut of realities my friend, for the one;s who push at the edges sometimes expand the playing field.
I suspect you won’t agree with me and think me full of hot air. But that hot air makes my balloon rise baby!! :woohoo: :woohoo:
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

:ahem:
Back to the topic.

I agree with Mr Ampli in his original post.

I have been working on a modest piece, coupla instances of Absynth, 1xCronox 3, and 1x BPM, a couple effects, and about 4 audio tracks on a 2.66GHz Quad-Core with 16 giggly bits of RAM. The damn thing hiccups like mad, and I have to freeze all my VI's before I can move on. Quite tiresome, especially if I decide I want to change the frozen track later.

MOTU needs to get much more betterer at handling VI's, and that is a fact.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

A few random comments...

1 - the inefficiency of VI handling opens the door to other DAWs. That's what happened to me. I got pretty frustrated and a friend said "check out Logic". I did and pretty much switched. The infatuation lasted a couple of years, before I got tired of Logic's illogic. Then I tried to come back, but things had not changed much despite a new version. I then tried Cubase and stuck with that for quite a while before the multiple window hell that is Cubase drove me a bit bonkers. (Still my number 2 DAW though; there are things to like.) Another quick look at DP (set up the same projects, try to run them), and still no VI love ( as far as handling load).

2 - During this sojourn I got exposed to other software and increasingly I notice that DP is not "keeping up" with some pretty standard capes in other DAWs. DP is very much a traditional studio / tape deck / production paradigm. That’s OK, but it would be interesting to see some new capabilities and design philosophy incorporating the potential for user customization/extension, collaboration, more object oriented features, etc. Anyway, for many different reasons in addition to the VI handling (which IS more robust even in 32bit), I end up settling in with StudioOne as my go to DAW.

3 - All of that said, I don't know that MOTU would care. I also own ethno, MX4, BPM, three 828mk2s and an 8pre. I upgrade and test DP each cycle and will do so with DP8. (Hope reigns eternal I suppose.) [EDIT: Next sentence added for clarity.] From MOTU's perspective, i am an obviously satisfied cutomer. However, I do feel strongly that MOTU needs to be concerned about mindshare amongst the next generation of composers, artists, and producers. They can't survive on our upgrade fees alone. They need to grow (or at least maintain) their market share.

4 - VEPro is a very slick piece of software and allows you to encapsulate projects so you can take them from DAW to DAW pretty easily. This s helpful if you want to drag a project between DAWs in your studio to take advantage of different tools before rendering audio files, or, I would imagine, moving things from a home set up to a different studio for collaboration or further work. (Yes you could render stems, but if you want to maintain maximum flexibility, VEPro can greatly facilitate this.)

5 - StudioOne does not have nearly the support for picture that DP does. Not even close at this point.

Cheers

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

Kubi

Post by Kubi »

BKK-OZ wrote::ahem:
Back to the topic.

I agree with Mr Ampli in his original post.

I have been working on a modest piece, coupla instances of Absynth, 1xCronox 3, and 1x BPM, a couple effects, and about 4 audio tracks on a 2.66GHz Quad-Core with 16 giggly bits of RAM. The damn thing hiccups like mad, and I have to freeze all my VI's before I can move on. Quite tiresome, especially if I decide I want to change the frozen track later.

MOTU needs to get much more betterer at handling VI's, and that is a fact.
This I don't understand - I run far larger projects all the time, and have zero hiccups (unless I load a lot of Slate VCC, then I get occasional audio dropouts in playback. But knowing this I add Slate VCC only at the very end for mixdown.) Don't understand why a relatively small project like that gives you problems?
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Seriously, and I don't mean to come off as rude, but I've used and use many DAWs. DP isn't the best or the worst in terms of spikes, CPU use and general problems. That Studio One is working great on someone's system isn't even proof that the particular DAW is more CPU efficient. There are other variables here for every set up. Certain AUs are serious pigs in DP, which may or may not be MOTUs fault. The same applies with Logic and Live here, but on my system anyway DP is average I terms of stability, CPU use, and compatibility. I suppose if you've only used Pro Tools extensively besides DP then you might bellieve that DP was "flawed" compared to whatever daw you use that's updated and in a stable version currently, but bellieve me that does not last. I switched from DP 2.7 years ago to Logic because Logic at the time was more stable with the plug ins and hardware I was using, and that all changed with Logic 7, which was a dog.....

Anyway point is "grass is greener" scenarios change over time.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Michael Canavan wrote:<snip>

Anyway point is "grass is greener" scenarios change over time.
Amen to that....

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

nk_e wrote:A few random comments...

1 - the inefficiency of VI handling opens the door to other DAWs. That's what happened to me.
2 - ...increasingly I notice that DP is not "keeping up" with some pretty standard capes in other..... it would be interesting to see some new capabilities and design philosophy i.

3 - All of that said, I don't know that MOTU would care.....I do feel strongly that MOTU needs to be concerned about mindshare amongst the next generation of composers, artists, and producers. They can't survive on our upgrade fees alone. They need to grow (or at least maintain) their market share.

4 - VEPro is a very slick piece of software.....

Cheers
Amen to that, a very intelligent post indeed.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13