MOTU has to get VI handling (and CPU usage) on point NOW...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
amplidood
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by amplidood »

I've always relied on DP for my programming needs because I love all the real time MIDI processing and how musical it is. But that foundation is being shaken for me after trying a rival software that easily handles 4-5x the amount of virtual instruments without even breaking a sweat. Whatever it is in DP's code that needs to be overhauled, I hope they find the time to do it. I was shocked as I continued to stack VI after VI on my (by modern standards) ancient MacBook Pro, and it continued to run... and run WELL.

A friend who is getting into the pop scene in LA was working in a certain well known production house. He noticed that everyone in that camp was using this software now for exactly that reason. Entire songs of VI's, live, and overdubs running simultaneously.

I don't want to use anything other than DP, but I can't work in the mode of having to print every single VI part before I can move to the next. It's making me sad, yet excited that someone has created a piece of software that actually allows my beloved laptop to do more than it ever has. Perhaps it will drive MOTU to really crack the case.
Gravity Jim

Re: MOTU has to get VI handling (and CPU usage) on point NOW

Post by Gravity Jim »

Can you name the software in question? Because if DP8 doesn't do what you a describing, i may be looking for another solution.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I hope it isn't R*****. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

I suspect the i.d. of the app is intriguing to many of us(myself included) but I hope & expect with the new rewrite w/ DP8 (64bit)the VI handling should be vastly improved.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Well, he's using PT and Logic in his sig so take your choice. I'm obviously a big DP fan and hope DP 8 and 64 bit solves the VI bottleneck - which is one of the few things that DP does not do well. It probably also should be noted that such problems are often related to the VI in question as well as the size of instrument(s) loaded. Size does matter in this instance. :oops:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Studio One.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

OK, good to know. I still prefer DP's workflow and visual layout as well as its more traditional mapping of audio concepts, but Studio One is being aggressively marketed and at some point might make an addition to the studio. Right now though, I am preparing to finally start taking advantage of my Vienna Ensemble Pro license. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

mhschmieder wrote:OK, good to know. I still prefer DP's workflow and visual layout as well as its more traditional mapping of audio concepts
I have exactly the same preference. S1 feels very foreign on that front... but man, the power gain makes me think I can learn a couple different ways of doing things. A fast, solid code base is ssooooooooo alluring.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

It also looks kind of nice that it handles both AU & VST.
The guys behind it are former Steinberg employees so I guess that's somewhat understandable.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

kgdrum wrote:It also looks kind of nice that it handles both AU & VST.
The guys behind it are former Steinberg employees so I guess that's somewhat understandable.
Seems like AU is pretty much a standard though. On a Mac DAW is there a good reason to support both AU and VST. Would it make a big difference to anyone if DP supported VST?

Also, on the subject of switching DAWs, the elephant in the room is the sheer volume of existing projects we have in our previous DAW and the need sometimes to revisit those older projects. It's neither here nor there, but I really wish the DAW manufacturers could come up with a truly bulletproof interchange format allowing users to easily go back and forth between different DAWs and then utilize one or the other for it's particular strength.

Overall, I still find DP to be my favorite by a large margin.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Well once in a while I've run across VST based VI's and effects that are not AU.

Also VST3 supports multiple MIDI ports as opposed to VST2 and AU which support only one MIDI port at a time. This is especially handy if you're trying to offload some of the instruments you might be using to program such as Vienna Ensemble Pro.

The last thing I'd like to do is try to learn a new DAW,I'm still just scratching the surface of DP as it is! lol

But a recoded DP8 with the ability to handle VI's like Amplidood is experiencing would be sweet!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

kgdrum wrote:Also VST3 supports multiple MIDI ports as opposed to VST2 and AU which support only one MIDI port at a time.
Do you mean like how MAS could accept multiple MIDI ports incoming. Four banks of 16 channels?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

I'm not well versed with MAS: the last time I had to explore it was to disable it with Ozone5 to stop problems and use it as an AU.
For me (I'm not a MIDI genius) the main advantage for me re: VST is the occasional plug or VI that's not written for AU that I'd like to try or use and I can't.
Yes, most are written for AU but a few reportedly good ones are not.
I might be incorrect on this but I imagine DP8 for Mac & Win would be pretty awesome if presets were actually cross platform which I expect they will not be without VST implementation.
AU & VST IMO are standard platforms, from my perspective support for both could be beneficial for users in general.
I'm missing some 1st hand knowledge or info on this but would any of us regret future versions of DP if it supported both AU & VST?
Is there really a good reason for plugs and VI's to be coded (or wrapped) for MAS anymore? I suspect this is due to development prior to the AU standard for Mac.
Again this is all above my pay grade(I'm a drummer!) but can the presence of MAS for plugs and or VI's be part of the inefficiency we would all like to see improved on?
I'm speculating more than stating.
I'm curious to hear more about this from some users who are obviously more knowledgable than me.
;-)
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Processor spikes and poor VI handling is really choking my creativity at the moment (and have been for some time).
I'm dead broke and can't afford a new Mac to make up for DP's inefficiencies. And I'm holding out for DP8 in the hope that it will improve things. If not I will be forced to buy VEP (€230). And every expense at this point is a struggle.

Other than that, I just love DP.
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Plogue Bidule at $95 is not cheap but I think there is a demo version. If DP 8 doesn't solve it with 64 bit (and lots of RAM) then Bidule might be a good way to go. As discussed in other threads, if you do go to 64 bit in DP and have 32 bit VIs, you could host them in Bidule running at 32.

C'mon MOTU, we want to give you our money! Maybe they are retooling their tech support to handle PCs? They certainly can't add a new platform and have the current arrangement of busy phones and just one or two lines to get in on (or not answering tech links).

That's o/t, I know, but can kill any company regardless of how excellent their products are. IMO.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS