MOTU has to get VI handling (and CPU usage) on point NOW...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU has to get VI handling (and CPU usage) on point NOW

Post by James Steele »

Kubi wrote:I think this discussion may be a bit premature, with DP8 as a 64bit app coming soon? Studio One runs 64bit, as does Logic. I wouldn't be surprised if that, more than anything else, is the reason why some folks experience superior performance (64bit is not only about memory addressing, AFAIK. It is my understanding it also affects performance in general.) Accordingly, I wouldn't be one bit surprised if running DP as a 64bit app would indeed take care of all (or at least most) concerns listed here - which Amplidood already pointed out above as a possibility. Time to 'wait and see', I'd say.

:D
That would be cool... but I wait breathlessly for UA to release the 64-bit driver/plugs for the UAD-2 cards. :( Can't exist without my UAD stuff. Love it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Matcher wrote:That's a bit like making a decision of being an artist or a professional..an artist will choose to work with the tools that inspire him, and a professional will choose whatever tool is available to execute a task. I'm not saying the two ways of working exclude each other, they might even compliment each other.
And when the artist is a professional? People have hung so much baggage on those two words that I no longer pay much attention to them. I was always a little of both. Except when I was a lot of both. Fortunately, DP works both ways for me.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

The earlier definitions of "professional v. artist" are some of the biggest, pulled out of your ass assumptions I have EVER seen anywhere. Clearly there is no understanding of the subject and an attempt to codify this work as "one or another."

Get a clue!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Get a clue!
To quote a recently deceased "motorist": Can't we all get along?

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Maybe. Maybe not. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Let me clarify. The post I bashed takes a "mechanical" and dogmatic view of artists and seems to think that one cannot be both a professional and an artist (whatever that is) at the same time.

You can.

As far as getting along, having spent my full time as a professional artist since 1976, I am passionate about my work and know what it takes to work in this field. To see that distilled down to a catch phrase is infuriating. Insulting actually and in such instances I give no quarter and take no prisoners. I've worked too hard and for too long to see such imbecilic comments get any creedence. So in that sense, no, I can't just get along.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well maybe a little bit of diplomacy. "I strongly disagree" versus "get a clue?"

MIDI Life Crisis

Ok. I'll try to play nice. The Sicilian in me tends to be "overly protective" about the things I am passionate about, especially anything concerning the family business.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Ok. I'll try to play nice. The Sicilian in me tends to be "overly protective" about the things I am passionate about, especially anything concerning the family business.
You didn't mail him a fish, did you? :D

MIDI Life Crisis

No, but my unicorn went missing.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

On topic, I would be curious to see what a straight test of CPU use shows with DP VS Logic VS Studio One? I only messed around with Studio One in the public beta 1.0 phase, and didn't think much of it, but I have tested the DAW that can't be named VS DP VS Logic, and DP came out as good if not slightly better than Logic.
Logic 8 VS DP 7.24 though, so... I'm actually surprised Amplidoode is getting such great results with Studio One? Cubase and Nuendo which the guys from Studio One helped code is the worst offender on OSX CPU use wise except for Live which is coded for real time use.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Michael Canavan wrote:Logic 8 VS DP 7.24 though, so... I'm actually surprised Amplidoode is getting such great results with Studio One? Cubase and Nuendo which the guys from Studio One helped code is the worst offender on OSX CPU use wise except for Live which is coded for real time use.
Perhaps Amplidude was unwittingly running Studio One in 64 bits, which would definitely have handled a lot more VIs, and a lot more smoothly.

And that is a lack which will be remedied soon in DP. Less than 3 weeks, I hear.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Shooshie wrote:And that is a lack which will be remedied soon in DP. Less than 3 weeks, I hear.

Shooshie
OOOH!
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote:
amplidood wrote: But the next generation is going to choose what works the best for them, and if it involves freezing and unfreezing tracks, it ain't gonna be DP. Not with such speedy competition out there.

Shooshie
You hit the nail on the head bro, and the outcome of This will directly effect you and me my brotha.... :D
because if DP gets dumped by all the young ones who don;t want to put up with inefficient code, MOTU will go under.
Or, They might survive with their hardware for sometime, but if their DAW becomes a dinosaur, how many resources do you think they will be able to put into an outdated program compared to all the little usb nick knacks they sell?
It is good you are comfortable with your work flow and have the time to render VIs. But the future of your fav DAW is riding on efficiency. And this question of efficiency has plagued DP for many many years. Personally, I am very tired of DPs efficiency problems.
I have had my butt saved by VE Pro 5, it makes DP almost work as good as it should.
When I upgrade my RAM this week, it should really be cool.
But that expenditure equals 1000 when all is said and done, (RAM plus Vienna).
What kid in a garage can pay for that when other programs already work properly?

I was actually enjoying working today, no crashes, thinking of writing a nice post about all the stuff I love about DP.
But then I read this thread and it irks me and reminds me how many years DP has been inefficient..yikes, I’nm starting to rant...there’s goes the success story..lol....

Back to the music...
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Again, your grasp of the market is lacking.

MOTU will not "go under" if DP fails to lead the DAW market. MOTU is a market leader in audio and video I/O hardware for Mac OS and Windows, and would continue to build and sell that hardware even if they jettisoned their entire software line, which is unlikely in any event.

It is more likely that MOTU would slow development on DP, maintaining a "legacy" product and support structure, and even that would only happen if sales of DP (and remember, sales includes updates, which is most likely the lion's share of DP sales anyway) virtually stopped.

Finally, it's wise to keep in mind that none of us have any information on which to base a judgement of DP's future, and only a couple of us have the skills to interpret that kind of information if we had it. The rest of us are simply "talking about shadows."
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]