MOTU has to get VI handling (and CPU usage) on point NOW...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

People are either disappointed by not wanting what they have or not having what they want. One can either get over it or do something about it, but concern over the grass color on 'the other side' does nothing but increase your level of disappointment.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Re: MOTU has to get VI handling (and CPU usage) on point NOW

Post by cuttime »

Last edited by cuttime on Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

toodamnhip wrote:
nk_e wrote:A few random comments...

1 - the inefficiency of VI handling opens the door to other DAWs. That's what happened to me.
2 - ...increasingly I notice that DP is not "keeping up" with some pretty standard capes in other..... it would be interesting to see some new capabilities and design philosophy i.

3 - All of that said, I don't know that MOTU would care.....I do feel strongly that MOTU needs to be concerned about mindshare amongst the next generation of composers, artists, and producers. They can't survive on our upgrade fees alone. They need to grow (or at least maintain) their market share.

4 - VEPro is a very slick piece of software.....

Cheers
Amen to that, a very intelligent post indeed.
Is that just because it echoes your oft-repeated POV? :D

If you are doing projects where you want to keep lots and lots of VIs open, then maybe you should just switch over and stop grousing about it here if you're convinced.

As for me, in my particular case I'm pretty happy. I also am not going to spend an inordinate amount of time looking over my shoulder and worrying about whether MOTU is capturing the mindshare of the young kids, as I choose the tools that work best for me regardless of whether it is hip with a certain segment that works differently than I do.

Any way for a demanding pro like yourself, either ditch DP or get a slave machine after your next gig and use VE Pro and be done with it. Fix the problem however you see fit... just fix it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:People are either disappointed by not wanting what they have or not having what they want. One can either get over it or do something about it, but concern over the grass color on 'the other side' does nothing but increase your level of disappointment.
Here’s where you are slightly missing the boat about disappointment in DP.
1) I “DO” something about it , as you say, and buy Vienna Pro to get around DP’s problems.
2) There is another major bug with latency compensation which is DP’s error which partially kills the benefit of me “doing” something about it.

After the same program starts blocking attempts at “doing” something about, and does so at every turn, then what?
Let’s hope DP 8 gets with the “program”.

And as far as not enjoying hearing users complain, well, if all viewpoints of this product are not heard, how can all the data about it’s workability be at hand to know what is going on with it?
If you want to start editing disgruntled users, or having them leave or edit themselves, this board might be all roses and happiness, but it will not be allowing an open forum.
I am glad that thus far it has been an open forum and thank you for your patience.
As for why I don;t leave? various reasons.
I do like using this program. I just want it improved and it has some glaring problems that are long term and need to be addressed.

That doesnt mean it is all bad.
I will try to add some roses to the picture if you like?
It is true that human nature seems to complain about that which ails more than count blessings....
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

toodamnhip wrote:Here’s where you are slightly missing the boat about disappointment in DP.
1) I “DO” something about it , as you say, and buy Vienna Pro to get around DP’s problems.
Yeah... I suggested that too. Or just switch over.
2) There is another major bug with latency compensation which is DP’s error which partially kills the benefit of me “doing” something about it.
What is that major bug? I think some if it is with VI's that may change their latency dynamically and how it is reported to the host. It's my understanding that MOTU is working with Vienna on that one.
Let’s hope DP 8 gets with the “program”.
They sure as hell better, else they know there are going to be more posts from you ripping DP apart here.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

toodamnhip wrote:glaring problems
Opinion, yes? Subjective, yes. You tend to wish to make your "reality" everyone else's. I get that. You have a goal in mind and you're going to beat the drum until you reach it. :deadhorse:

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

My comments we not directed at anyone or any THING specific. Just a bit of philosophy I recently heard.

But if the shoe fits...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

James Steele wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:glaring problems
Opinion, yes? Subjective, yes. You tend to wish to make your "reality" everyone else's. I get that. You have a goal in mind and you're going to beat the drum until you reach it. :deadhorse:
My only goal has been to communicate when there is something I have in common with a post. This whole thread has been spot on and the originator of this thread entitled it aptly and it totally resonates with me so I am hear communicating in a like manner.

As for my use of the word “glaring”, I think VI’s are a pretty major aspect of audio in this modern day and age.
Glaring, as per the dictionary="highly obvious or conspicuous”

I think that was a fairly accurate adjective but if it connotes something that is inaccurate, then something more mild could suffice.

As to DP working to fix their problem now, that is FANTASTIC.

But it doesn’t help me today, when I have all the VI’s in a Vienna system I just purchased without knowing their was yet another DP deficiency looming. A problem that results in me having to use 4x the processor load for multiple instances of LASS.

So it is inconvenient for sure. I mean, listen bro, it is all from the eye of the beholder.
It sounds like VIs are NOT hitting you in the teeth at present, that is good. I don;t want VI problems to hit you in the teeth.
But Imagine of you were working on a song and this VI problem kept you from being able to work properly TODAY. You’d be frustrated right?

I really am glad a fix is coming, and will pat MOTU on the back when it comes.
You can hold me to that promise.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

PS...
By the way James, You see every post. So it might seems redundant to you to hear a complaint over and over.
But I am responding to individual posts and people.
They might not be looking at every new post like you do as moderator.

So to them, possibly, I am not sure, but to them, they might hear me commiserate about an issue and it is ONE time for them.
To you, it is the 50th time.

This seems unique to the moderator of any sight. Things start sounding like a broken record when similarly posted in various areas..Things start sounding like a broken record when similarly posted in various areas..Things start sounding like a broken record when similarly posted in various areas..Things start sounding like a broken record when similarly posted in various areas.. :deadhorse: :D

ps ps.
Next NAAM show..I buy you a beer for having to put up with me.... :D :D :D
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

toodamnhip wrote:Next NAAM show..I buy you a beer for having to put up with me.... :D :D :D
There's not enough beer in Germany...

Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

James Steele wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:Next NAAM show..I buy you a beer for having to put up with me.... :D :D :D
Another forum I visit has a "spit-take" smiley, which I wish was available right now.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

James Steele wrote:
If MotuNation had a "like" button, I certainly would have clicked it!

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

James Steele wrote:

lol ;-)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

It appears I have been slam dunked..err...I mean drunked....lol...
Last edited by toodamnhip on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Kubi wrote:
BKK-OZ wrote:...I agree with Mr Ampli in his original post.

I have been working on a modest piece, coupla instances of Absynth, 1xCronox 3, and 1x BPM, a couple effects, and about 4 audio tracks on a 2.66GHz Quad-Core with 16 giggly bits of RAM. The damn thing hiccups like mad ...MOTU needs to get much more betterer at handling VI's, and that is a fact.
This I don't understand - I run far larger projects all the time, and have zero hiccups (unless I load a lot of Slate VCC, then I get occasional audio dropouts in playback. But knowing this I add Slate VCC only at the very end for mixdown.) Don't understand why a relatively small project like that gives you problems?
Methinks it has to do with the particular VI's - Absynth, depending on the kind of synthesis being used, can be very CPU/RAM intensive.

To be fair to Mr MOTU, I haven't bothered doing any comparisons, and no, the problem isn't significant enough to make me switch.

The simple fact is that these things (our DAW environments) end up being quite complex ecosystems. Like players in any ecosystem, real or virtual, some play nicer together than others. The task is to create an ecosystem that you can personally live with, both in terms of productivity, but also financially. I can live with my ecosystem, but I want it to be a tad healthier, so I am always looking for ways to improve my environment. For example, I just ordered another 16giggle bits of RAM.

I can live with the trade offs in my little DAW ecosystem, I am just hopeful that MOTU makes DP 8 more VI-friendly than DP 7+ currently is.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku