BIAS closed

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
kgdrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

BIAS closed

Post by kgdrum »

http://www.bias-inc.com/

Wow! This caught me by surprise.
I don't use their products but a company like this just closing shop not even selling the company/product line like Redmatica just did w/ Apple.... I suspect the software world has been affected with the recession more than I previously realized.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
FMiguelez

Re: BIAS closed

Post by FMiguelez »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

OMFG!
I can't believe it! I thought they were solid (in terms of sales).
I wonder what forced them to close? Piracy, cut-throat competition, or a little of both perhaps?

I almost bought Peak a few months ago when I had my shopping spree...

:(
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
kgdrum

BIAS closed

Post by kgdrum »

What's weird is how sudden it looks.
Sweetwater and Musiciansfriend still have all of the Bias products for sale with normal pricing etc.......

To verify I googled Bias Peak and got the page with the Bias has closed.

It seems so sudden I suspect many vendors are not aware of this yet......
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Wow, that is shocking news. I've been a Peak user for eight years. I never
updated to Peak Studio 7 - glad now that I didn't.

Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing their booth at this year's winter
NAMM.

What option do we Mac users have now for a 2-track audio editor? Wavelab, which means having to use Stinkrosoft, or Waveburner...or DSP Quattro, I
suppose.

I'll keep using Peak until I upgrade to Mountain Lion, I guess.

This sucks.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

I'm not surprised one bit. Good riddance I say.

Their customer support was atrocious. I bought Bias Peak 7 Studio and never ONCE got it to launch. (I used Peak LE for years with great success.) I bought it in anticipation of the multi track editor they had announced and it was during one if their upgrade special sales so at least I'm not out a bunch of cash.

I mean I tried....hard. I tried working with their support staff. I think one of the three folks I worked with had a clue, but my interactions were randomly assigned so the brief instance of possible clarity was short lived.

I spent hours on this. What a frustrating experience.

I recommend DSP Quattro whole heatedly. It was just upgraded to V4 and its reasonably priced and it works.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

David Polich wrote:Wow, that is shocking news. I've been a Peak user for eight years. I never
updated to Peak Studio 7 - glad now that I didn't.

Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing their booth at this year's winter
NAMM.

What option do we Mac users have now for a 2-track audio editor? Wavelab, which means having to use Stinkrosoft, or Waveburner...or DSP Quattro, I
suppose.

I'll keep using Peak until I upgrade to Mountain Lion, I guess.

This sucks.
I did upgrade last year to Peak Pro 7 and it does work in Lion. Guess I'll stick for now as it is a very good editor. Audacity is free and when you listen to side by side tests you can see why its free. This is a shame - we'll have to see how long Peak lasts under future OSX upgrades.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Wow. I have both Soundsoap and Peak. I haven't upgraded in a while, but I never saw this coming. :shock:
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
apanacci

BIAS RIP

Post by apanacci »

Well its over !!!
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
mhschmieder

Re: BIAS RIP

Post by mhschmieder »

http://www.bias-inc.com/

I found out via the beta testers mailing list this morning -- a total shocker. No response yet from anyone official.

One of our forum members -- and a former co-worker at my current office as well as a former editor of EM -- was their product manager for a few years and close personal friends of the founders. The company was founded in Berkeley CA but had been in Petaluma CA (Sonoma County) for many years. That's pretty far from other software houses, so it may be hard for people to find new jobs without moving.

I suspect the shift to 64 bits may have been a hurdle they couldn't meet in this business climate, what with Steinberg Wavelab now being dual platform (though IMO it sucks on the Mac and is buggy at the moment).

Wave Editor has a major new release coming up soon -- maybe that will become the "default" stereo mastering program for the Mac now.

BTW I would suggest the original poster rewrite the subject header to be a bit more descriptive and complete, as many may know Peak but not catch what's going on or the implications just from mentioning BIAS.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy »

OUCH!

I'm not happy to see this! I've spent many years using Peak and found BIAS to be a friendly company who got back to me promptly when I had issues (which wasn't very often!)

I'm wondering if I can upgrade now..... thought I had recently seen a new version of Peak released.... aargh!
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB RAM OSX 11.2 Big Sur
UAD Apollo Quad DP11.22 some Waves, Soundtoys, Digital Performer 11.2, Reason 12, iZotope 11, and lots of real instruments to play :)
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

I only used Peak LE occasionally but I am sad to see them go. A longstanding music company that had great products. :(
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I had a feeling this topic would show up twice in the same day. It also got posted in the main DP forum, but it really belongs here IMO.

I won't repeat what I've said elsewhere, but it's going to be tough to find another editor. I've tried them all, and nothing comes close to Peak for its feature set and audio editing precision. I'll probably have to ignore my separation of tasks mentality and start mastering in DP now.

Wave Editor is interesting and a new version is forthcoming, so maybe it will become a truly professional program finally. It takes forever to start up due to plug-in validation, can't host VI's like Peak, and is otherwise severely limited in its workflow and in its audio precision (especially for editing and fades).

I tried the Mac version of Wavelab and found it bug-ridden, crash-prone, and very convoluted. I was disappointed as the earlier Windows version seemed so focused and precise. But many Wavelab users are critical of the big changes in the most recent version, so it isn't a Mac-specific problem from what I gather.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Guess we better encourage our man Stefano to keep up the good work with
DSP Quattro. Cuz it's looking like his product is the only good option available to us right now.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
jweisbin

Post by jweisbin »

We have thousands of dollars invested in this software (about 15 authorized users). The authorization process has always been bothersome, and I think it limits you to four de-authorizations - and not just on a per computer basis. In the past we have gotten around that limit by calling them, and they have always been responsive and helpful in that regard - but now there will be nobody to call.
Hackintosh, UAD Apollo Quad (TB card), Dangerous Source, Chandler EMI TG2 Pre, Neve Portico 5012 pre, Adam A-7's, Adam Sub8, Neve 33609/C bus comp, AMS Neve 8803 EQ, Audient Mico Pre, too many pedal steel guitars.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I merged the two topics.

I suspect, frankly, it was the sustained recession that is partly to blame. Individuals and businesses can only hang on so long.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!