BIAS closed

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: BIAS closed

Post by FMiguelez »

James Steele wrote: I suspect, frankly, it was the sustained recession that is partly to blame. Individuals and businesses can only hang on so long.
And if you add piracy to the recession...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Here's a good article that just appeared a short while ago today, analyzing the playing field in the wake of BIAS closing shop:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/06/b ... ernatives/

I'm in the process of reading that article in more depth as I write this. I'm thrown off by this announcement and am fearful that Peak cannot be depended on to work as I move forward with OS updates etc., so am focusing today on the alternatives.

There's also some talk of going open source and maintaining it amongst the users, but that discussion so far is relegated to the beta testers group (of which I have been a part for several years) and we have not yet had contact with anyone in a position to grant permission.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

That's a really good article, very informative. I didn't even know about
Twisted Wave, and I forgot about Amadeus. Wave Editor looks good but unfortunately it requires Lion, so that's a no-go for me. Gonna try out
Twisted Wave and Amadeus II. The main thing I will miss from Peak is the
"Tile" feature...hoping to find that in these other editors.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

I like Sound Soap, now what? Waves has a noise plug in right? What other good noise plug ins are there?
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
dix

Post by dix »

twistedtom wrote:I like Sound Soap, now what? Waves has a noise plug in right? What other good noise plug ins are there?
Izotope RX is awesome: http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/rx/
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

+1 on iZotope RX. I've done some amazing stuff with it that I didn't think could be done. It surprises me on a regular basis.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
sberkley

Post by sberkley »

Greetings:

We understand that many people are surprised at the closing of BIAS and have questions as to the reason why. Please understand that we are not at liberty to discuss those reasons in detail since they concern matters of individual privacy. However, the conduct of certain employees resulted in disruptive interpersonal relationships which damaged morale and interfered with high functioning at a time when market pressures required that the company perform at an optimum level.

Despite the high quality of our products and team, the disruption contributed to a lack of sales and marketing effectiveness that was fatal to the company. Our products remain among the best in the industry, and we are exploring various avenues that we hope will result in our customers still receiving the benefit of the products they have valued in the past.  We appreciate your past patronage as well as your patience and support as we move through this difficult period.

Steve Berkley
CEO and President, BIAS Inc.
Member, Marin Audio Technology LLC
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yikes, Steve, that's about the worst reason possible, so I feel for you. I've been in that situation but for similar privacy reasons cannot go into detail on a public forum. PM me if you'd like to talk about this off-line or by phone, as we are close by and there are also people at my company who would like to see what we can do to help lessen the impact of what happened.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

David Polich wrote:Wave Editor looks good but unfortunately it requires Lion, so that's a no-go for me.
I use Wave Editor with Snow Leopard.

Technical Specifications for Wave Editor copied from the Audiofile Engineering Site:

Hardware
Mac computer with an Intel processor
1 GB of RAM (we recommend 2 GB or more)
Display with 1024-by-768 resolution highly recommended
A hard disk with 1 GB or more free space
Software
Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) or 10.7 (Lion)
QuickTime 7.2 or later highly recommended
DP10.13
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Well, despite my frustrations, I wouldn't wish that on anybody. Sorry to hear it. Hope it works out for you ultimately.

Cheers

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

Electricbacfac
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Electricbacfac »

I'm not surprised and appreciate how licensed users are going to be upset by this.

I thought they where asking far too much for the product and considered buying it but found Wavelab on the PC to be my best solution, even though I am Mac based.

I also found Sound Soap to be poor.
In truth I don't know many people who were willing to part with the sort of money Bias where asking.

We could really do with a rocksolid editor for Mac more than ever.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Soundsoap wasn't one of my favorite plugins, but it did a fair job of removing noise. There was a specific order you had to follow to get the best results, and once I learned that it did a very good job for me. For some time now I've been using Waves noise reducing plugins. I have to say that they are hard to beat. I think Bias would have done well to offer the full version of Soundsoap for a dramatically reduced price, and it would probably have become one of those things that everyone has, providing them with a decent income stream. But I'm sure they had reasons for the way they marketed their products. Sorry to see them close up shop.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Don't forget, things went on sale frequently, so the "real" prices weren't really all that high...

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I stopped using them a while back. Their adherence to Mac OS standards wasn't very tight - you'd upgrade the OS and nothing worked anymore. I got tired of paying regular upgrade fees of $500-800 just to keep things working. Other companies offered products that worked for me with less hassle and less cost.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

This is a sad day. Sorry to hear it Steve. I've been a licensed user since the mid 90s. I have version 6.0.2 from 2010 running on Lion just fine. Everything works and it's as stable as it gets. Maybe that's why I didn't pay for an upgrade to Peak 7. Not eager to switch to a new program. At least there are some nice options available.

I wish you guys the best.

I'm looking at Amadeus Pro II, Wave Editor, and DSP-Quattro. Would love to try Adobe Audition, but ain't paying $350 for it (but then again I might).

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE