iZotope Iris -- new VI synth (sample based, w/ a catch)

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: iZotope Iris -- new VI synth (sample based, w/ a catch)

Post by mhschmieder »

Sorry for the delayed response; we're all working double-time right now as we are crazily racing to get three major bleeding-edge game-changing products out at the same time.

I just checked my Iris installation, and I did indeed successfully get the entire library and the add-ons onto my dedicated sample library drive vs. my main OS drive (which is a small SSD).

Unfortunately I don't recall if I did this after the fact, but I seem to remember that being the case. Maybe I saw in the user manual how to move the library after initial installation?

I'm running out of time to go further at this point (such as looking for log files, the user manual, etc.) as I have to get up wicked early for rigging setup work at Concord Pavilion.

Let me know if you still need help on this in a few days, and I'll see if I can trace the installation trail that led me to my ideal library location.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

For those who missed the sale last year, it's back.

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/i ... raries.asp

The Synths library (4MB, not 4G like it says on the site) is a limited time free download for owners - similar to Monsters. BTW, the free Monsters libraries download still works if you have the email. You just can't use the free library without Iris.

Monsters Mac
http://izotope.us6.list-manage.com/trac ... 88820ba024

Monsters PC
http://izotope.us6.list-manage.com/trac ... 88820ba024
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

The sale lasts a week, until November 21.

I'd be curious to know if people are really benefiting from Iris. It really looks great, and it seems like it would be perfect for designing game sounds. I do a little of that, but I feel like I'm doing it all old-school, and this could be the tool that changes all that for me.

Anyone say nay?

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I bought Iris awhile ago, and while I had fun messing around with the presets, I admit I have pretty much put it away since buying it.

I found it just a bit too fickle/tricky to manipulate. This, no doubt because I didn't invest enough time in learning its various intricacies. Methinks one would need to either a) have an intuitive feel for this strange beast or b) spend a ton of time learning how to get what you want out of it. That prob. says more about me than Iris though.

I find when I want 'atmospheric' I tend to reach for Absynth -its model of oscillators and envelopes accords more with my experience of real-world synthesis, if you get my meaning, and I am able to shape its sound much more easily.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

I love it, use it quite a bit. Simon Stockhausen has a bunch of amazing patches for it, and it is very playable and fluidly malleable when programmed right (which Simon of course always does…)

I haven't really built anything from scratch for it, but I find it very easy to customize patches that are close but not quite.

Certainly one of the handful of VIs I use regularly.

(Absynth is def another favorite, but I find the two quite different - Absynth sounds steam-powered, Iris sounds manipulated/photographic - if that makes any sense to anyone but me.)

:D
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Kubi wrote:Absynth sounds steam-powered, Iris sounds manipulated/photographic - if that makes any sense to anyone but me.)
Oh, of course! Absolutely. GUARDS! Get the straitjacket! :lol:

Well I'm still on the fence about it. On the one hand, I've got some things waiting that I actually could see using it for. On the other, I'm afraid I'd be like our Oz brother there, and end up not reading the directions, then putting it away. I've certainly done that before! Oh well… I'll download the demo and see what happens.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Shooshie wrote:...I'm afraid I'd be like our Oz brother there, and end up not reading the directions, then putting it away...
Shooshie
Hey! I never said I didn't RTFM, I just said I was too stupid to understand it!
:P :oops: :P
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I've used it a little. It's really addictive and a heck of a lot of fun at the same time. THe results are pretty spectacular, IMO.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

I downloaded the free patches but they install a few patches that don't match the names of the ones they show in the demo. Oh well... FWIW, they place the patches in the HD/Library/Application Support/Izotope/Iris/Iris Library/Patches. Yet, the installer places the "free" 40MB of patches in the Applications folder.

I wish programmers would settle on one location for their stuff and stop putting it all over the damn OS.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I wish programmers would settle on one location for their stuff and stop putting it all over the damn OS.
Hell, I wish it were mandatory for data libraries to go where users want them to. I just don't like running a big system disk.
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

You can put the Iris libraries wherever you like.
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
MIDI Life Crisis

I know that. It's just that the installers have placed them in three locations. AAAARRGGGGHHHH!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you download the "Cookbook" patches, they stay in your downloads folder till you put them somewhere. Yes, consistency would be nice.

Otoh, IRIS is a powerful tool and I love its possibilities. I have a lot of fun playing with it. I wish that I had a project in which I could use it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

I use it from time to time to add some *spice* to my projects.

Actually, my first choice in this area is Alchemy.
IMHO, very deep and powerful, and a bunch of fine libraries available.
Don't know exactly why, but I find my way deep inside Alchemy more easily than in Absynth.

BTW, on my setup, Iris is not that much friendly when it comes to CPU usage. Which I consider important when building a live project.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...