Calling all guitarists

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Calling all guitarists

Post by bayswater »

As you say, it just didn't feel right. It was definitely a new instrument, barely unwrapped. The allen screw on the knob was not properly tightened. I wouldn't think that's up to the store but who knows. This particular store generally keeps their guitars in tune, but their action always seems a bit wonky. Maybe the wet left coast climate.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
zed

Post by zed »

bayswater wrote:As you say, it just didn't feel right. It was definitely a new instrument, barely unwrapped. The allen screw on the knob was not properly tightened. I wouldn't think that's up to the store but who knows. This particular store generally keeps their guitars in tune, but their action always seems a bit wonky. Maybe the wet left coast climate.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of price were they offering you on that? Was it discounted for any of the reasons you mentioned?
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

zed wrote: But can you live with the fact that you would have a Gretsch that doesn't have a Bigsby?
I can live with the shame and embarrassment. I wouldn't use it much.

It's about 10% more than the best US price I could find for the RH version. The "other" store in Vancouver claims to have the RH version for even less, but as usual, they don't actually have any of either persuasion.
zed

Post by zed »

bayswater wrote:The "other" store in Vancouver claims to have the RH version for even less, but as usual, they don't actually have any of either persuasion.
That "other" store almost never has what I want in stock, whether guitar, guitar gear, electronics or otherwise. I even had to special order some picks once. How can they have a several floors of stuff and almost never what I am looking for? It is only a few blocks walking distance from my place, and yet I usually have to head over to Terminal.

You should keep abreast of Rufus' Guitar Shop as well (and they have a nice web site that announces new arrivals and stock with pictures). They have amazing things in there and I'll bet they sometimes get some second-hand lefties of a vintage persuasion. It is fun to go in there and salivate on the walls.
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

I think I found the ultimate accessory to Mr Frodo's Rickenbacker.

Behold the JangleBox.

Audio demos are available. I ordered a silver one to try with my DiPinto MACH XII as it isn't quite as bright and jangly as I'd like. Should arrive next week. Can't wait to try it out.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

SixStringGeek wrote:I think I found the ultimate accessory to Mr Frodo's Rickenbacker.

Behold the JangleBox.

Audio demos are available. I ordered a silver one to try with my DiPinto MACH XII as it isn't quite as bright and jangly as I'd like. Should arrive next week. Can't wait to try it out.
Turn, turn, turn!!! :lol: Hobbit's got a ticket to ride, methinks....

Yooz and meez gotta talk when they arrive.

Thanks, Six!
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
zed

Post by zed »

SixStringGeek wrote:Behold the JangleBox.
Now there's an effect I can get excited about! I simply have to have one!

I think I am going to go for The Byrds Limited Edition Tribute model with two stages, and even more flexibility in tone. The sound clips are worth listening to, though the Byrds Tribute version is not used specifically.

These JangleBox effects do seem to go best with 12-strings. Kinda wish I'd bought one of the $300 12-string electrics the local music store was selling on Boxing Day at a blow out price. It'll be a while before I can prioritize a Ricky 360-12, although I might consider one of those Airline 12-string discussed many pages ago, or look into a Danelectro 12).

Before the end of the year I'm gonna aim to have both a 12-string and a JangleBox. Thanks SixStringGeek!! My faith is restored!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Do not waste your bucks on a recent-manufacture Dano 12 string. I have one (on loan from a friend) in the studio now, and it will not hold a tune. By the time you replaced 12-tuners and tweaked the thing with a decent nut, you'd have more in upgrades than the guitar was worth. I got my Cowsills licks out of it, but it was an agony.... And even compressed nicely with a Barber Tone Press, I had to TRIPLE-track the damn thing to get the requisite jangle. Massive fail. If I really wanted a 12, I'd save up for a Rick, I think.

On the other hand, the late-90s model Dano U-type baritone I just picked up is really swell.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
zed

Post by zed »

Gravity Jim wrote:Do not waste your bucks on a recent-manufacture Dano 12 string. I have one (on loan from a friend) in the studio now, and it will not hold a tune. By the time you replaced 12-tuners and tweaked the thing with a decent nut, you'd have more in upgrades than the guitar was worth. I got my Cowsills licks out of it, but it was an agony.... And even compressed nicely with a Barber Tone Press, I had to TRIPLE-track the damn thing to get the requisite jangle. Massive fail. If I really wanted a 12, I'd save up for a Rick, I think.

On the other hand, the late-90s model Dano U-type baritone I just picked up is really swell.
Thanks for the advice Jim. Maybe I will look into one of those DiPinto 12-Strings mhschmieder mentioned on page 29 of this thread. I think someone here bought one of them and thought they were pretty good, though I see it is now a discontinued product, so to get one I will have to buy second-hand. It'll take me some time before I can prioritize a Rickenbacker-12, and yet getting a decent 12-string is now at the top of my guitar list.

I also have a Danelectro Baritone. Love, love, love it!

Wouldn't mind one of these... (and a 1967 model to boot!)

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

SixStringGeek wrote:I think I found the ultimate accessory to Mr Frodo's Rickenbacker.

Behold the JangleBox.

Sorry to be dense SixString, but we need a box to make the Ric 12 sound like a Ric 12?
zed

Post by zed »

SixStringGeek wrote:...with my DiPinto MACH XII...
Oh... I missed that earlier. It is all coming together now... It was YOU who bought that DiPinto 12-string. Good for you for jumping in on that, since it is no longer an available product.
SixStringGeek wrote:Sorry to be dense SixString, but we need a box to make the Ric 12 sound like a Ric 12?
I think that the point is that we need this box in order to make any of our 12-string electrics pop out with that jangly compressed tone that the Byrds got on their records.

Roger McGuinn actually uses this box in order to get that Byrds sound nowadays. The pedal is based on the special dual-compression they used back in the '60s in order to achieve that sound. I think they have done a marvellous job of replicating it. For more on Roger McGuinn and that Byrds jangly sound, check out this interview: http://vintagemicrophone.com/JShop/page ... cle32.html
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

a little misquote there. It's me that's dense, not SixString. But I get it now.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Yeah-- I would not likely use the box on my Ricky-12 or Ricky-6 but on other guitars which might benefit from a little extra "tooth" on occasion. There's the EQ approach, then there's the plug-n-play approach. On some level, it's just plain fun to dink with toys. :P
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Frodo wrote:On some level, it's just plain fun to dink with toys. :P
Thanks for the reminder. I keep getting into a rut wondering how a new toy will make me a better musician, mixer, etc. Really, who cares?
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

bayswater wrote: Thanks for the reminder. I keep getting into a rut wondering how a new toy will make me a better musician, mixer, etc. Really, who cares?
See what I'm saying?

"What, what, what"[?]-- til her daddy takes her T-bird away.

We forget that "to play" has several meanings. To deliver musical notes and expression accurately with a musical instrument is one thing. To experiment or frolic [for lack of a better term] in the realm of gadgetry for the heck of it has turned into a dying art.

Fun, fun, fun.