Calling all guitarists

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
daniel.sneed
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Calling all guitarists

Post by daniel.sneed »

SixStringGeek wrote:Where did you get your toasters? [...]

As to strings... The manual suggests compressed roundwound strings in gauges 10-42.[...]
Got everything ordered from Rick in UK... around 15 years ago!
PUs, buttons, tail piece, strings, polish.
Rick UK was pretty responsive and helpful at that time. Don't know how they do by now, though.

Yes, compressed roundwound, that is. Something in between flatwound touch and roundwound sound.
If you don't find them, D'Addario may have some strings not so far from that.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
zed

Post by zed »

daniel.sneed wrote:If you don't find them, D'Addario may have some strings not so far from that.
Here's where I buy my Pyramids...
http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/pyramid-strings.html

$31 for 12-string sets and $20 for 6-string sets. Though it says it's a sale price, I think the sale is ongoing. The price hasn't changed for at least 2 years. And great service plus free shipping (in the US and to Canada) if you buy $35 worth of stuff.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
zed

Post by zed »

Hey folks,

I am now the proud owner of a JangleBox pedal! It sounds just as awesome as was expected. I decided to save money and get the silver JangleBox as well. I also got an Electro-Harmonix Micro POG for quick conversion of any guitar into a 12-string so that playing Byrds style inspirations are just a couple of foot switches away.

I have actually invested in quite a few pedals of late since I decided I wanted to set up a nice analog pedal board. Another favorite new addition is the Electro Harmonix Wiggler.

I think the tone and the tubes can speak for themselves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_4dPwvfuOo

I'm just loving the analog effects and I am now resolved to record guitar tracks as close as possible to their intended tone, versus trying to doctor them digitally inside the box. But having said that, I still want to have the best tools for further enhancing my guitar and bass tracks within DP.

I posed this question in another thread, but I will put in this thread as well since not everyone may be following the other thread...

Softube just announced a $50 discount on all their Vintage Amp Room products, including the bundle (which includes all 3 of them for $249 until July 17th). I am just curious to know what those of you who have tried Vintage Amp Room think of the product as compared to some of the other guitar amp/cab emulation products out there? I have always thought their demos sounded really good. Do you think this is a must-have product?

http://www.softube.com/newsletter/2012- ... gn=2012-06

As I stated above, I am trying to print my guitar tracks with as close to final treatment as possible, but I think sometimes a little extra umph can turn something good into something exception. Amplitube has been such a resource hog that I have put it aside until we get the 64-bit DP. But if Softube can do it better, I wouldn't hesitate to add their Amp products to my collection. It is certainly simpler than dealing with all of the different components of Amplitube, and I could use a little less overwhelm when it comes to making tonal decisions.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I am thinking about the getting the Amp Room bundle for the addition of the Bass Amp Room. DP8 is supposed to have a new Bass cabinet emulation plugin included, but as a buddy pointed out earlier today, it is unlikely that it will sound as good as the Softube product.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

After 2 months of indecision, I finally found three guitars that feel right, sound right, have no bits falling off, and work. Not easy in the world of left handedness.

Here are the newer family members with the latest arrivals -- a Gretsch Electromatic, an Epiphone 335, and a fake Tele. The Tele is from a local store that had a run of guitars made by Fender with Fender parts, but with their own brand on it. They've been waiting a long time to sell the last LH model, so it was a bargain. Also a picture of the older generation.

Now I have to find that Hal Leonard book of Roy Rogers songs and get started.

2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Having grown up enduring the constant search for left-handed baseball mitts, I insisted my son learn to play a standard, right-handed guitar when he began showing an interest in the instrument a few years ago. He initially expressed his desire to learn left-handed, as he had grown accustomed to playing Guitar Hero that way.

He now plays real guitar very well. Right-handed. He thanked me the other day.

I feel your pain Bays. We lefties are forced to develop a degree of ambidexterity, if for no other reason than the plastic golf clubs our parents buy for us when we're four years old are not available in southpaw models. I am glad you have located three solid left-handed guitars.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote:Having grown up enduring the constant search for left-handed baseball mitts, I insisted my son learn to play a standard, right-handed guitar when he began showing an interest in the instrument a few years ago.
I did the same with my son. He's right handed, but started playing my guitars LH, so I had to nip that in the bud. I even tried to go RH myself, but I just couldn't do it.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

bayswater wrote: I did the same with my son. He's right handed, but started playing my guitars LH, so I had to nip that in the bud. I even tried to go RH myself, but I just couldn't do it.
I imagine that would be like me trying to learn to play guitar when I can already do so much on keys, with far less potential for a payoff! I know more than a few of great guitarists. I'll leave the fretwork to them. Regardless, Vive la Southpaw! :D
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

HCMarkus wrote:Vive la Southpaw! :D
If you think lefty guitars are hard to find, try to find a left handed piano! :lol:
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

SixStringGeek wrote:
If you think lefty guitars are hard to find, try to find a left handed piano! :lol:
Hasn't somebody created a MIDI translator that will invert the keyboard? Admittedly, not quite the same as a REAL left-hand piano, but would completely trip me up and out, I'm sure!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

SixStringGeek wrote:
Just set the pitch to key mapping to -1.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Here's a brief detour to basses again:

I was surprised a couple of weeks ago by the appearance of a new bass model from Fender called the Pawn Shop Reverse Jaguar. I walked out the door with it and it had only arrived ten minutes before I did!

Shaped like a Gibson Thunderbird, it is packed with two MusicMan-styled humbucking pickups and a 32" medium scale maple neck.

This is now one of my two or three most chameleonic basses (like my Dingwall Afterburner), and is also a good bass for smaller people and guitarists switching or doubling on bass.

MusicMan basses have always been too hard for me due to the baseball bat necks and my tiny hands with short stubby fingers. So now I can get something approximating MusicMan tone on an instrument that is comfortable for me.

I spent twenty four hours playing bass this past weekend, and so far have targeted this bass for most 80's material (alongside the Yamaha BB-1025x), and especially songs that use the plectrum.

It performs with aplomb on metal, funk, punk, r&b/soul, and pop/rock.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I know it has been brought up before, but has anyone got anything to say about baritones?

I almost bought a Wild Thing Danelectro, but thought better of it.
I prefer the look of the Dean on 67. Then again, there is that cute Gretsch G5265, and my current favourite, currently nowhere available, the Fender Jaguar Special HH baritone.

hmmm... do I need another guitar?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

This is mostly academic for me - but not quite...

As a kid, I started playing lefty and switched when, in the 7th grade, I noticed that orchestra strings played right handed.

Now that my left arm is crippled by a stroke, I find that I can chord and fret nearly as well with my right as I used to with my left. Unfortunately, I can neither pick nor strum with my left.

I have many basses including a lefty and have been playing around. Some, like the Carvin LB-85 in my avatar, I finger with the right hand and pluck with my thumb while in my lap. I tap others a la a Chapman stick. The fingers and thumb approach works better than you might think but my hand gets too tired after a half hour or so. Tapping holds more promise but I can't get it to sound as good as I want. If I can figure out what I want and which direction, I can get Rick Turner to make it for me (I own two of his guitars, a ukulele and two basses already).

Rhythm guitar is now a guitar tuned to the right chord and capo'd when necessary. I record and then re-tune for the next chord. I miss damping with my left hand and the internal runs & bass lines that used to be a hallmark of my playing. Oh well...

At the moment I am looking for a simple left handed guitar, maybe a LP Junior - something simple that I can tap like Hendrix or Randy Hansen. I just can't get what I want from VIs and keyboards.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

mikehalloran wrote:This is mostly academic for me - but not quite...

Now that my left arm is crippled by a stroke, I find that I can chord and fret nearly as well with my right as I used to with my left. Unfortunately, I can neither pick nor strum with my left.
But you are still playing, I admire the fact that you refuse to give in to adversity. It sucks at times I am sure, but you are still playing...
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
crduval

Calling all guitarists

Post by crduval »

HCMarkus wrote:
SixStringGeek wrote:
Hasn't somebody created a MIDI translator that will invert the keyboard? Admittedly, not quite the same as a REAL left-hand piano, but would completely trip me up and out, I'm sure!
Ha! I did this once! I was stuck in a real compositional rut some time ago and just for fun I did exactly this on my K2500. I then let my hands play their natural, habitual patterns and recorded the results. It was very interesting and yielded a cool new tune.

I believe Joe Zaniwul used to use two keyboards with one inverted for his left hand in Weather Report. That's where I got the idea to try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller