Calling all guitarists

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Calling all guitarists

Post by James Steele »

mhschmieder wrote:Fender made a surprise announcement this week that they're reviving the Starcaster and Coronado hollow-body designs, for both bass and guitar. The bass is 30" short scale though. The difference between the two models is mostly in the pickup styles.
Interesting. A friend of mine had a Coronado years ago. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

Got an email today from one of our suppliers. They are exiting their relationship with the Washburn and Parker guitar brands. The message contained a list of instruments at heavily discounted pricing. i couldn't resist grabbing a couple of guitars. Here's the 2 I purchased:

They should arrive ina few days :)
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Is that one of the solid carved spruce models from Washburn? The name/number has changed a few times so I've had trouble finding one on-line, new or used. Many feel they're the best alternative to an L5, sound-wise and quality-wise, at quite a price reduction vs. an L5.

I had a shocker this morning as I deliberately went to work a bit late so I could stop at Berkeley's folk instrument store (like much of the area, things don't open until 11am), only to find this grand west coast tradition replaced by a nail manicure place.

The Fifth String was ancient and one of the half dozen largest and most respected acoustic stringed instrument stores in the Western USA. I was hoping to find a used Guild acoustic.

I've actually sized down a lot recently, selling ⅔ of my collection after spending the holidays retooling, woodshedding, and deciding what is more or less redundant and non-essential.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

mhschmieder : Is that one of the solid carved spruce models from Washburn?
Washburn is model J7VN - quilted maple back and sides, solid spruce top, rosewood fingerboard & rosewood bridge, bound F holes, abalone split block inlays, Grover Imperial tuners, Bigsby vibrato, 25.5" scale.

Parker is the Nitefly Swamp Ash with DiMarzio & Fishman pups

That just about covers all flavours for me - I have a Strat, a Hagstrom Super Swede which is quite Les Paul like but with the 25.5" scale I need, a beautiful Maton acoustic, an arch top blues box (also Washburn), a P Bass and now these 2 - only leaves the Tele to find. Happy days :D
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I bought something over the holidays I've wanted for some time: a Gibson SG. Last year they turned the '61 Reissue into the 2013 SG Standard and really got it right - the right cherry color, the small pickguard, smaller peghead, '57 Classic pickups, quarter sawn neck and one-piece rosewood board, trapezoid inlays... The whole nine yards. Beautiful to behold and a gas to play. The 2014 will be the same but will only be available with the goofy Min-ETune auto tuner robot, so 2013 is the only year to get it done right. Thanks to a recent close out sale, I ended up getting it brand new with the hardshell for $849, long after all the Heritage Cherry models were gone. I am loving it.

Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by 4stripes »

Play a dozen or more and pick the one you like the best. At this point it's basically a consumer product and I wouldn't put too much weight on a new guitar being much better than another new one in the same price range. It's not like some 70 year old artisan is hand carving and setting them... It's a factory line! I do not think they are the best guitars, but they are still loveable.

The Strat, naturally, is basically the best all-arounder. The Mario of Mario Kart.

After 10 years of Strat ownership, I craved a Tele--something a bit more unique. Something that was a little less all-things.

Once you have one though, you may have to have them all!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Uh... Stripes, were those directions for me? If so, then... gee, thanks, I guess. I know that new guitars are made in factories, and despite your opinion of them as "not the best," I really enjoy my SG. I have a Strat, too... I've always had at least one since about 1972. (I only played acoustic guitar, Gibsons and Epiphones, from 1966 until then.)
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

Not a lot needs to be said - Joe, I will buy one of your instruments one of these days. Knaggs "The Black Pearl":

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote:
mhschmieder wrote:Fender made a surprise announcement this week that they're reviving the Starcaster and Coronado hollow-body designs, for both bass and guitar. The bass is 30" short scale though. The difference between the two models is mostly in the pickup styles.
Interesting. A friend of mine had a Coronado years ago. :)
Hmmmm... why not revive the originals? Oh yea, the guitars were interesting but the basses sucked. I see that the reissues have an alder center block and are not hollow like the originals - that's got to make the basses much better.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I tried the Coronado guitar at Bananas in San Rafael a few months ago and it's AWESOME! Great feel, extremely versatile sound, well-made. I just can't justify it as I feel my now-stripped-down collection covers my bases (but of course, not my basses).

I don't think they had the Coronado bass, but likely they will next time I go. It shows up on their website.
Last edited by mhschmieder on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
BKK-OZ

I don't get it. 'Tele Servo Bender'

Post by BKK-OZ »

Tele Servo Bender emulates a lap steel sound using servos

http://www.gizmag.com/tele-servo-bender/32915/
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
bayswater

Re: I don't get it. 'Tele Servo Bender'

Post by bayswater »

BKK-OZ wrote:Tele Servo Bender emulates a lap steel sound using servos

http://www.gizmag.com/tele-servo-bender/32915/
What don't you get?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Why he didn't just buy a lap steel guitar I guess.

It just seems like a lot of work in order to turn a tele into something it isn't.

Kinda like adapting the keys on an accordion to play the strings on a uke.

But maybe that is just me - I love my lappy, and when I want that sound, well, I just tune it up and slide all around on it.

I did like his playing though, and if it is something that makes him (and/or others) happy, then it is all good.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

A production version would be great for those who need a bit of lap steel, but not all the time. It's also a brilliant bit of engineering. And don't you think the sound is unique?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Well, they got it wrong, obviously... it's not a lap steel he's emulating, but a pedal steel. And by giving the string bend capability (like a B-Bender but for all six strings) to a Tele, you can create both the pedal steel effect and still rip a clearly fretted blues lick, or a series of pull-offs and hammer-ons, or all the standard guitaristic things a pedal steel won't do. So I get it. It's a hybrid guitar for a hybrid of chicken-pickin' and pedal steel techniques. Very cool. With smaller servos, you could embed the device in the guitar or build a smaller unit that fit unobtrusively behind the bridge.
Jim Bordner