It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:44 am

Text Size

The OFFICIAL DP7 Bitching and Moaning Topic

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!

Re: The OFFICIAL DP7 Bitching and Moaning Topic

Postby BobK » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:32 am

supersonic wrote:When you do the fades in DP 7, do you still have to go through the dialog box to change the fade's shape etc, or can you do it right there in the sequence?

What do you mean by 'right there in the sequence'? In DP 7, and at least as far back as 4, once you've created a fade in the track (by dragging the handles), you can double-click on it to get the Fades dialog box (instead of mousing up to the menu item).
Bob

Mac Pro 8-core 2.26 GHz ('Nehalem'), 16 GB RAM, OS 10.10 || DP 8.07 || Metric Halo ULN-8 and 2882-2d+DSP
BobK

Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Postby zed » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:35 am

BobK wrote:What do you mean by 'right there in the sequence'? In DP 7, and at least as far back as 4, once you've created a fade in the track (by dragging the handles), you can double-click on it to get the Fades dialog box (instead of mousing up to the menu item).

Well that's cool. I just tried it, and it works like a charm. Didn't know about that little trick... thanks.

I'm excited to experience DP7 with regards to realtime fades. So many people are raving about them, and I am still trying to imagine how they are so different and beneficial. A few seconds saved every here and there, I suppose.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.6.2 | DP 7.12 | MOTU 2408 mk3 | Mytek Digital ADC | MIDIsport 4x4
zed

Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Postby BobK » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:18 am

zed wrote:I'm excited to experience DP7 with regards to realtime fades. So many people are raving about them, and I am still trying to imagine how they are so different and beneficial. A few seconds saved every here and there, I suppose.

Yes - it adds up real fast. There are many cases where I want verify a fade right after creating it. Previously, you'd have to wait while the fade was being calculated, and I assume the disk chirping was the fade file being written. If you tried to play back too soon, there would frequently be drop outs, and you'd have to stop, rewind, and wait. This really slowed down the workflow. Also, occasionally I found that some projects had problems with the fades so that they had to be completely recalculated when the project was opened.
Bob

Mac Pro 8-core 2.26 GHz ('Nehalem'), 16 GB RAM, OS 10.10 || DP 8.07 || Metric Halo ULN-8 and 2882-2d+DSP
BobK

Postby supersonic » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:24 am

BobK wrote:What do you mean by 'right there in the sequence'? In DP 7, and at least as far back as 4, once you've created a fade in the track (by dragging the handles), you can double-click on it to get the Fades dialog box (instead of mousing up to the menu item).

Yes, that's the standard way to do that, but I was looking for something being able to change the shape of the fade right on the fade of soundbite. Without going through the dialog box. Also, shortening for example the end point of the soundbite will move the whole fade. Sometimes it's useful to keep that starting point of the fade unchanged while shortening the soundbite.
MacBook Pro 17 (2011, 16Gb RAM, SSD system disc, SATA work drives and Thunderbolt sample SSDs) APS AEON, IO, COAX and Trinity monitors, Apollo, UAD 2 Quad plus most of the plug ins, Analog Outboard (Universal Audio, SPL, Neve, Imbir, Sebatron, etc) Nord Piano, Korg CX-3, DP 8, MOTU VIs and others (PSP, Native, Audioease, Wavearts, Sonalksis, AAS, EastWest, Spectrasonics, etc), Mics - Telefunken, Shure, Akg, Neumann, Sennheiser, Brauner, Beyerdynamic, Beesneeze.
My hobby - www.aps-company.pl
supersonic

Postby michkhol » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:11 am

James Steele wrote:That's too bad. Totally not my experience nor the experience of most of the users on this board apparently.

Actually my frustration was not aimed at DP crashes per se, but at the quality of the programming (and programmers) those crashes sometimes reveal. The impression that various combinations of DP and OS versions leave may be subjective, but those crashes demonstrate facts no one can argue about.
MacPro 5,1 8-Core 2.4GHz 15 GB RAM, Metric Halo ULN8
OS X 10.9.3, DP 8.05
michkhol

Postby michkhol » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:31 am

BobK wrote:It doesn't take much longer to start a tech link and submit the crash logs than it does to post here, though certainly venting has its purpose too. I understand your frustration (I removed DP 6 from my system last summer and didn't try it again till shortly before 7 was announced), AND at the same time consider that the short time it takes to contact MOTU might help contribute to the fixes you need.

The reason of my frustration is in the previous post. Although it does not take much effort to open a tech link, I'm refraining from doing that for two reasons:
1. I cannot reproduce them. As a professional programmer I can tell you, that if you cannot reproduce a bug, it is so very unlikely to fix it that no one from the overstretched programmer team in MOTU would bother (I'm talking about reality here).
2. Those crashes were unrelated to the tasks I was doing at that time. No matter what I did (SRC or BTD) DP crashed in the GUI. It certainly makes things worse because a bug that affects other modules indirectly is a programmer's nightmare. So chances to fix it without reproducing are even smaller (see p.1).

If by a chance I find any pattern in this, I will send them to MOTU.
OS X 10.9.3, DP 8.05
michkhol

Postby michkhol » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:46 am

Bitching update: I was patiently collecting DP7.01 crash logs to present them all to MOTU some day, and now after upgrading to 7.02 all I have is a kernel panic. And it happened when I was editing volume automation.

Oh well, back to work...
OS X 10.9.3, DP 8.05
michkhol

Postby newrigel » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:54 pm

EDIT: SOLVED!

Last edited by newrigel on Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
newrigel

Postby FMiguelez » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:49 pm

I see what you mean totally.
But MOTU did us a favor, I think. Instead of mousing around for those, we will be forced to use the much-quicker shortcuts. Apple-Arrows takes care of most needs. Option-Apple arrows does extreme zooming respectively.

Even if you do not want to learn those shortcuts, you'll learn them after using them a few times :)

But I understand what you are saying regarding consistency. It must not be easy to change and improve the GUI while still leaving things we are used to around.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.9.2 / DP 8.06
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Platinum, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VE Pro, etc.

---------------------------

"There's random genetic variation, and non-random survival, and non-random reproduction, which is why, as the generations go by, animals get better at doing what they do. That is quintessentially non-random". ― Richard Dawkins
FMiguelez

Postby newrigel » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:34 am

FMiguelez wrote:.

I see what you mean totally.
But MOTU did us a favor, I think. Instead of mousing around for those, we will be forced to use the much-quicker shortcuts. Apple-Arrows takes care of most needs. Option-Apple arrows does extreme zooming respectively.

Even if you do not want to learn those shortcuts, you'll learn them after using them a few times :)

But I understand what you are saying regarding consistency. It must not be easy to change and improve the GUI while still leaving things we are used to around.

I fixed it... and I do agree with the consistency between windows too. BTW, hows your hand doing? I just had to laugh man... sorry. I mean, look @ the size of his head and you already know what that things going to do if it does get ahold of something! But what's so strange is iguanas are vegetarians aren't they? That wouldn't make them so aggressive but who knows how much racket he has to put up with when your doing your thing he he...
Merry Christmas everyone!
newrigel

Postby solar » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:24 pm

Well not sure if this belongs here or in the Wishlist topic. I go back to DP3, right after dumping Protools 4.0, and then Studio Vision Pro. My beef.......

1. With the advent of Controllers and virtual instruments it would be really nice if Motu would give the option of using just one channel for MIDI. I hate that my Euphonix MC Mix has to take up a fader for a MIDI channel, and one for the intrument channel. Especially when the MIDI fader does nothing when controlled by the MC Mix.

2. It's time to implement a MIDI learn/mapping feature for VI's, etc..that do not for whatever reason have MIDI built in to their software. MIDI Console, just doesn't do it for me. It should be as easy as opening up an app, clicking a few buttons I want to be able to tweak and I'm off.

These are just my pet peeves, and pretty much the only ones. But after just purchasing Logic 9 this summer (wanted to expand my horizons). It was a pleasant surprise to realize I could map my my X3 live to POD farm and control it perfectly, with very little effort....It was also great to not eat up 2 channels (or faders) for every VI I wanted to use.

I feel torn because I really love DP. And the overall Versatility is far and above Logic, I just think it needs to be a little more ..........."Versatile".

Talked with a Rep at NAMM yesterday about this. For both issues, the answer was "Maybe we should give you guys the option of either or." .........Ya Think.
Mac OS 10.6 - Mac Pro 2.66 (6 Raptors all inside) - 8GB Ram - 1X 2408MK3 - 1X 1296 - DP6 - Komplete 5/6 - Melodyne - Drumcore - 1x Euphonix MC Control - 3X MC Mix - Live 7 - Logic 9
solar

Postby Macrozonaris » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:52 pm

Importing individual tracks from other projects is a no-brainer. This is a functionality everyone really needs quick in DP. All the other DAW:s have had this for years.
Last edited by Macrozonaris on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Macrozonaris

Postby michkhol » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:31 am

Macrozonaris wrote:Importing tracks from other projects is a no-brainer. This is a functionality everyone really needs quick in DP. All the other DAW:s have had this for years.

Menu->File->Load... I do it all the time.
OS X 10.9.3, DP 8.05
michkhol

Postby Macrozonaris » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:31 am

michkhol wrote:
Macrozonaris wrote:Importing tracks from other projects is a no-brainer. This is a functionality everyone really needs quick in DP. All the other DAW:s have had this for years.

This loads a sequence, song or a v-rack. Not individual tracks.
Macrozonaris

Postby FMiguelez » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:16 am

Macrozonaris wrote:
michkhol wrote:

This loads a sequence, song or a v-rack. Not individual tracks.

Just load your individual track from the loaded sequence. You can delete the rest of the loaded chunk/sequence afterwards if you want to.
Also, you can have as many TO windows open as you need, and you can copy/paste tracks between chunks from there as needed as well.

Or simply put the track-to-be-loaded on a global Clipping, and it will be accessible from ANY sequence at any time.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.9.2 / DP 8.06
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Platinum, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VE Pro, etc.

---------------------------

"There's random genetic variation, and non-random survival, and non-random reproduction, which is why, as the generations go by, animals get better at doing what they do. That is quintessentially non-random". ― Richard Dawkins
FMiguelez

PreviousNext

Return to MOTU Theoretical Discussions, Gripes, Petitions & Off Topic