It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:19 am

Text Size

The OFFICIAL DP7 Bitching and Moaning Topic

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!

Re: The OFFICIAL DP7 Bitching and Moaning Topic

Postby billf » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:23 am

FMiguelez wrote:it would be nice if DP could automatically find the nearest Zero cross point between two SBs. That wouldn't be too hard to implement either.

+1

I absolutely agree with this.
MacPro5,1 2.66, 10.8.5, Digital Performer 8.06
billf

Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Postby tonwurm » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:21 am

BobK wrote:From what little I know about Pro Tools, I think it has what you're talking about; they call it MIDI Regions and Region Groups....

I never understood after switching from Logic and Protools to DP why it has audio-regions but no MIDI regions

it would be fantastic if DP has an additional track-view 'midi-regions'

sometimes it is much easier to edit in region-view - I give an example: say we have a refrain with a bass part starting exactly on bar 9 and a length of exactly 8 bars, also there´s a piano part starting on the last 16th of bar 8 and with a length of 8 bars, too

how do you copy both parts in DP without affecting anything before or behind ? If your selection starts at the last 16th of bar 8, then you also select the last 16th of the basspart (f.e. the verse) and that maybe not what you want. In Logic or in Protools you only have to select the regions and drag them with option-key pressed to the desired place

there hasn´t to be a complete rewrite of DP, only an additional track-view like in Protools, there you can switch between notes-view and regions - that´s it
DP 7.2, Logic 9, PT HD 8 , G5, macmini with VE Pro
http://www.live365.com/stations/perfect" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... /?site=pro
tonwurm

Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Postby James Steele » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:13 am

tonwurm wrote:I give an example: say we have a refrain with a bass part starting exactly on bar 9 and a length of exactly 8 bars, also there´s a piano part starting on the last 16th of bar 8 and with a length of 8 bars, too

how do you copy both parts in DP without affecting anything before or behind ?

Well, it's really not all that bad. It's a two-step process though. You'd just have to use the I-Beam and select and drag each section separately. For the piano part you describe, I'd leave the grid set to whole note duration, hold down the command while I select the desired range, then release the command key and drag to new location, etc. But regions would make things easier and I'm all for them.
JamesSteele.com | Dean Guitars | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter

MacPro4,1 Quad-Core 2.66, 24GB RAM, OS 10.9.4, ATI 5770, DP 8.06, MOTU HD192, 24I/O, UAD-2 Duo, Lucid GENx192, HV-3C, Red Type B, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Postby tonwurm » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:44 am

James Steele wrote:...It's a two-step process though...

You are right, but that one step less makes sometimes the difference if you do this 100-times a day :wink:
DP 7.2, Logic 9, PT HD 8 , G5, macmini with VE Pro
http://www.live365.com/stations/perfect" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... /?site=pro
tonwurm

Postby jmc » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:30 am

James Steele wrote:Yeah... me too... I would like the flexibility of having MIDI objects. To illustrate this, here are two QuickTime screen captures of what happens when when you repeatedly drag and drop a pattern from Addictive Drums...

... to the Track Overview in DIgital Performer:

http://www.motunation.com/movies/dpdrag-drop.mov

... and to the Arrange window in Logic Express:

http://www.motunation.com/movies/logicdrag-drop.mov

Can't you just highlight the MIDI object in the tracks window and opt-click to copy?

EDIT: oops... missed part of the point of the post... sorry for my seemingly non-sequitor answer.
Mac Pro 2012 3.2 Quad Core OSX 10.8.4 | Mac Pro (e2008) Dual Quad 2.8 OSX 6.8 | DP 8.04 | Altiverb | Komplete | VSL
jmc

Postby jlaudon » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:43 pm

I'm still waiting for my DP7 to arrive, but have been reading all the topics on it. After reading the topic on how the GTR plugs sound, I thought I post some questions/thoughts here. Granted, in that topic there was only one or two comments on how the gtr plugs, sound, but it wasn't positive - no presets, etc... and the inevitable comparison to Logic :roll: .

My question: why does MOTU spend time developing things like this when there way more far better sounding and mature GTR plugs out there. Hey, POD farm is even free this month (I use it a lot, as well as GR3)? Same goes for the half-hearted (well, it feels like this) attempt at soft synths, which I've never used (even though I really tried to).

I look forward to DP 7 for the other new features, and I'd gladly pay 200 bucks upgrade if it is a stable release, as many have talked about. Rewinding back to the discussion about DP6 - why doesn't MOTU just bundle MX4, or even M5 v2 with DP? It would save a lot of wasted development time on non-starters like the included gtr and synth plugs, which could be spent on workhorse plugs, like more compressors, eqs, etc. Hey, I wouldn't even be surprised if they could easily work out a deal with guys like scott stillwell, who's plugins are killer, and a great deal. Or, they could spend time on things like custom skins (I love this in PT8, being able to customize the mixer/colors), which is probably something that doesn't take near as much time as writing new (but not very useful) plugins.

There, my 'moaning' is over - time to get on with the day :wink: .

EDIT: forgot to mention - YES! to MIDI region choices (and names on them). This is about the main thing I get from Logic users (not much else they can praise about Logic, except the included VIs, etc...). Or, what about remembering Spaces setups, autosave, channel strip presets...(I know, clippings works for this.. - but presets in the pull down menu), custom plugin menu setup (folders, grouping of similar plugs, etc). Done, I think :)
Mac Pro 2.26 8 core, 10.8.2, 20 gigs RAM, DP 8.01, UAD-2 Duo & Satellite Duo, , UA Apollo Quad, Macbook Pro 2.2 Quad, VEP, NI Komplete 8/KORE, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, LASS, Orchestral String Runs, EWQLSO Platinum Plus, Kirk Hunter Ruby, Ivory II, QL Pianos, RX, Pro-L, Slate plugins, lots more VIs/plugs, Dangerous D-box, Apogee Ensemble, Avalon 737sp, UA610mkII, Adam S3A monitors, 828mkIII, Logic 9, Pro Tools 9

http://www.johnlaudon.com
jlaudon

Postby newrigel » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:05 pm

philbrown wrote: Right-click functionality is present in just about every modern application I can think of and use, not just DAW's.

But DP is, and has been a Mac native application and well... right clicking hasn't been the main (PC) thing that has taken off since OS X. And as far as mapping a MIDI controller (to anything for that matter) hasn't stopped me from just drawing the controller data... I just loop the sequence and draw and listen and edit... works better than trying to get that by using a touchy MIDI controller... they get a bit squirrelly, but everyone's different... :mrgreen:
But my main bitch is DSP resources!!! Please MOTU... make DP more resourceful!

jlaudon wrote:Hey, I wouldn't even be surprised if they could easily work out a deal with guys like scott stillwell, who's plugins are killer, and a great deal.

Excellent point here!
I wondered about the convo plug they came out with in 6... Maybe Audioease worked out a deal? Who knows but this is a great idea IMO.
newrigel

Postby kassonica » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:52 am

Well I am really really upset with DP 7 because it's going to take another couple of weeks before the banana boat arrives down here and I can install it. :mrgreen:
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang

http://www.myspace.com/skippysbrain
kassonica

Postby michkhol » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:41 am

Well, I don't understand why it is so much fuss about DP seven which is essentially a bug-fix release and should be named something like DP 6.1. Yes, they squashed some glaring bugs but still I can easily crash it as I did with DP6. I already have a few fresh crash logs and no, they are not plugin-related. One of them apparently is an attempt to access an object which no longer exists from a destructor (quite common bug in a multithreaded application and bad programming practice) and the other is a plain uncaught exception. I have no time currently to investigate these cases and I don't think it's my job either. The crashes are characteristic enough to show the level of the code maturity. I might send those crashes to MOTU some day, that was actually one of the reasons why I upgraded. (The on-the-fly fades was the other one).
MacPro 5,1 8-Core 2.4GHz 15 GB RAM, Metric Halo ULN8
OS X 10.9.3, DP 8.05
michkhol

Postby Shooshie » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:46 pm

In my experience, the bugs and crashes that are genuinely a MOTU problem will eventually show up on my system. Pretty much all such problems people have complained about in the past eventually happened while I was using whatever was the current version of DP at the time. Sometimes they happened only once or twice. Other times they happened so often I couldn't get anything done. But those things which were more circumstantial -- something caused by the combination of DP with certain plugins, MIDI drivers, audio drivers, permissions, OSX issues, or whatever -- usually did not happen to me. In some cases they did happen, I was able to locate and fix the conflict, and then they never happened again.

I can't say that DP7 has no bugs or doesn't inherently crash; I can only say that since installing Snow Leopard, with DP 6.02 and DP7, I've had DP open sometimes for days at a time, and almost always open during the day, with a variety of projects ranging from a single piano VI to well over a dozen VIs, often experimenting with new plugins and presets, and so far I have not had a single crash or quit. I realize that many people ARE having massive problems, but I think in the end we will find that this is a circumstantial problem. There have been some probable causes identified, but so far nothing that works for everyone. Apple has acknowledged some problems that it's working on, too. It'll just take time.

My sympathy goes out to those who are having problems but can't find the cause. I know it's frustrating.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.9.2 Mavericks |l| DP 8.06 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro 2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Nomad Factory Vintage Plugins |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Postby James Steele » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:51 pm

michkhol wrote:Yes, they squashed some glaring bugs but still I can easily crash it as I did with DP6.

That's too bad. Totally not my experience nor the experience of most of the users on this board apparently.
JamesSteele.com | Dean Guitars | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter

MacPro4,1 Quad-Core 2.66, 24GB RAM, OS 10.9.4, ATI 5770, DP 8.06, MOTU HD192, 24I/O, UAD-2 Duo, Lucid GENx192, HV-3C, Red Type B, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Postby BobK » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:50 am

michkhol wrote:I might send those crashes to MOTU some day, that was actually one of the reasons why I upgraded. (The on-the-fly fades was the other one).

It doesn't take much longer to start a tech link and submit the crash logs than it does to post here, though certainly venting has its purpose too. I understand your frustration (I removed DP 6 from my system last summer and didn't try it again till shortly before 7 was announced), AND at the same time consider that the short time it takes to contact MOTU might help contribute to the fixes you need.
Bob

Mac Pro 8-core 2.26 GHz ('Nehalem'), 16 GB RAM, OS 10.9.3 || DP 8.06 || Metric Halo ULN-8 and 2882-2d+DSP
BobK

Postby zed » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:28 am

BobK wrote: I understand your frustration (I removed DP 6 from my system last summer and didn't try it again till shortly before 7 was announced)...

Exactly what I did. I think a lot of us were in that boat. I wonder what percentage of customers who bought DP6 actually used it for any reasonable amount of time before "7" was announced? In my case, the usage was about 1 month, or maybe a month and a half (if I include the initial period where I gave it a test run in 2008).

As it turns out, DP6 has been at least as stable or more stable on my Intel Mac than DP5.13 was... so I could have started using DP6 on this computer several months earlier. I hadn't realized that turning off the pre-rendering would eliminate most of the DP crashes and other issues. For the most part, it is running pretty smooth now... but not always.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.6.2 | DP 7.12 | MOTU 2408 mk3 | Mytek Digital ADC | MIDIsport 4x4
zed

Postby BobK » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:19 am

To be fair, I have to admit that I did not try 6.02 on my G5 (where I do the vast majority of my work) when it was first released earlier this year. When I eventually tried it in August or early September, and paid close attention to the crash logs, it turned out that they were mostly - though not entirely - due to a third-party extension (in my case, usually Altiverb). By this time I was determined to troubleshoot as much as possible, and in fact Audio Ease acknowledged a bug when I sent them the crash logs.

On the one hand, I wish I'd tried 6.02 earlier, and maybe had spent more time last summer looking into the causes of my many crashes. At the same time, I remember how the initial release of 6 was crashing when I'd do simple stuff like click in the time line to re-locate the playback wiper. The simple fact that DP 7 has been much more stable on my computer - and many others' - suggests that we weren't imagining things, and MOTU had some work to do. I'm glad they did. I've just been doing a bunch of audio editing this morning with no glitches, no waiting after doing crossfades. Cool.
Bob

Mac Pro 8-core 2.26 GHz ('Nehalem'), 16 GB RAM, OS 10.9.3 || DP 8.06 || Metric Halo ULN-8 and 2882-2d+DSP
BobK

Postby supersonic » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:01 am

When you do the fades in DP 7, do you still have to go through the dialog box to change the fade's shape etc, or can you do it right there in the sequence?
MacBook Pro 17 (2011, 16Gb RAM, SSD system disc, SATA work drives and Thunderbolt sample SSDs) APS AEON, IO, COAX and Trinity monitors, Apollo, UAD 2 Quad plus most of the plug ins, Analog Outboard (Universal Audio, SPL, Neve, Imbir, Sebatron, etc) Nord Piano, Korg CX-3, DP 8, MOTU VIs and others (PSP, Native, Audioease, Wavearts, Sonalksis, AAS, EastWest, Spectrasonics, etc), Mics - Telefunken, Shure, Akg, Neumann, Sennheiser, Brauner, Beyerdynamic, Beesneeze.
My hobby - www.aps-company.pl
supersonic

PreviousNext

Return to MOTU Theoretical Discussions, Gripes, Petitions & Off Topic