It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:14 am

Text Size

The OFFICIAL DP7 Bitching and Moaning Topic

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!

Re: The OFFICIAL DP7 Bitching and Moaning Topic

Postby Macrozonaris » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:37 am

FMiguelez wrote:Just load your individual track from the loaded sequence. You can delete the rest of the loaded chunk/sequence afterwards if you want to.
Also, you can have as many TO windows open as you need, and you can copy/paste tracks between chunks from there as needed as well.

Or simply put the track-to-be-loaded on a global Clipping, and it will be accessible from ANY sequence at any time.

Thanks, man! Great advice.

Still, these are workarounds compared to the breeze and simplicity of importing an individual track from another project in Ableton Live 8.
Macrozonaris

Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Postby FMiguelez » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:12 am

Macrozonaris wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:Just load your individual track from the loaded sequence. You can delete the rest of the loaded chunk/sequence afterwards if you want to.
Also, you can have as many TO windows open as you need, and you can copy/paste tracks between chunks from there as needed as well.

Or simply put the track-to-be-loaded on a global Clipping, and it will be accessible from ANY sequence at any time.

Thanks, man! Great advice.

Still, these are workarounds compared to the breeze and simplicity of importing an individual track from another project in Ableton Live 8.

Workarounds? NOT AT ALL!
This is DP's way of doing things. You may be accustomed to do it other way, but it doesn't mean DP's way is a "workaround".
Personally, I LOVE this methods.
I suggest you become fully familiar with these methods, particularly Clippings (global and local). Do you want to see power? Try them out!

No DAW out there can TOUCH DP's super-powerful Clippings. Live can't touch it!

What I suggested about them is only the tip of the iceberg... Next time you have a great set of tracks that you really like, with buses, aux tracks, MIDI tracks, Conductor Track, VIs, plug-ins, etc., copy those to a Global Clipping and you can bring them into ANY project at any time in under 2 seconds... including automation, plug-in settings, etc.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.10.3 / DP 9.02
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Platinum, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VE Pro, etc.

---------------------------

"There's random genetic variation, and non-random survival, and non-random reproduction, which is why, as the generations go by, animals get better at doing what they do. That is quintessentially non-random". ― Richard Dawkins
FMiguelez

Postby Macrozonaris » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:05 pm

FMiguelez wrote:What I suggested about them is only the tip of the iceberg... Next time you have a great set of tracks that you really like, with buses, aux tracks, MIDI tracks, Conductor Track, VIs, plug-ins, etc., copy those to a Global Clipping and you can bring them into ANY project at any time in under 2 seconds... including automation, plug-in settings, etc.

I really believe Live does this better. With Clippings, you have to decide beforehand what you want to be available to other projects. In Live, you can import every single track from every single project. No need to go through the extra work to make them into clippings. And what if you want to import something you haven't made into a clipping? You can't always know beforehand what you will end up wanting in you creative process.

I usually come across a situtation where I go "that bass sound with its eq and reverb settings in project X would be great for this project Y". In Live, I just use the browser to locate the project file, open its track view, and drag'n'drop the track to the sequence. In DP, I would have to close project Y, open project X, make that bass track into a global clipping, close project X, open project Y, drag'n'drop the track into sequence. Much more work.
Macrozonaris

Postby FMiguelez » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:19 pm

Macrozonaris wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:What I suggested about them is only the tip of the iceberg... Next time you have a great set of tracks that you really like, with buses, aux tracks, MIDI tracks, Conductor Track, VIs, plug-ins, etc., copy those to a Global Clipping and you can bring them into ANY project at any time in under 2 seconds... including automation, plug-in settings, etc.

I really believe Live does this better. With Clippings, you have to decide beforehand what you want to be available to other projects. In Live, you can import every single track from every single project. No need to go through the extra work to make them into clippings. And what if you want to import something you haven't made into a clipping? You can't always know beforehand what you will end up wanting in you creative process.

I usually come across a situtation where I go "that bass sound with its eq and reverb settings in project X would be great for this project Y". In Live, I just use the browser to locate the project file, open its track view, and drag'n'drop the track to the sequence. In DP, I would have to close project Y, open project X, make that bass track into a global clipping, close project X, open project Y, drag'n'drop the track into sequence. Much more work.

Nope. In that case (I bolded it in your quote), just use the Load command (to load any chunk in any project).
Clippings are much deeper than you think. And you can include ANYTHING, including Conductor tracks (markers, tempo changes, etc.), any kind of tracks with any kind of parameter automation, basically anything you can think of.
I never use templates, only Clippings.

I will probably make a Clippings tutorial one of these days. To me, they are one of DP's greatest features. I probably use them for different things than you and in different ways. All I can say is they've made my life so much easier.
If you are uncertain about where to put a Clipping, or if you MIGHT want to use it elsewhere, just make them all global... they will always be available under your finger tips.
The Local Clippings are for things you are certain you will use only for that project (a "test" conductor track, a VI that you deleted to reclaim processing power, etc.).

Is one or two seconds a total "creative disruption" for you? That is how long it takes to put a Clipping into the TO. With these things you can literarily save 10-15 minutes of setting things up...
Last edited by FMiguelez on Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Platinum, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VE Pro, etc.

"There's random genetic variation, and non-random survival, and non-random reproduction, which is why, as the generations go by, animals get better at doing what they do. That is quintessentially non-random". ― Richard Dawkins
FMiguelez

Postby amplidood » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:30 pm

Still no direct deposits. My coffee cup sits empty. DP sucks.
amplidood

Postby Macrozonaris » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:53 am

FMiguelez wrote:Nope. In that case (I bolded it in your quote), just use the Load command (to load any chunk in any project).

But I only want one bass track (in this example case). I don't want a whole additional chunk with hundreds of tracks added to my project, then copy a track from there to my original chunk, and remove the loaded chunk. This really does take much more time than Live's system (have you tried it?).

In Live, all your projects' tracks are "global clippings" by default, containing automation, effect chains, etc.
Macrozonaris

Postby FMiguelez » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:31 am

Macrozonaris wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:Nope. In that case (I bolded it in your quote), just use the Load command (to load any chunk in any project).

But I only want one bass track (in this example case). I don't want a whole additional chunk with hundreds of tracks added to my project, then copy a track from there to my original chunk, and remove the loaded chunk. This really does take much more time than Live's system (have you tried it?).

In Live, all your projects' tracks are "global clippings" by default, containing automation, effect chains, etc.

I understand. But this is HOW DP DOES it. DP is not Live, and it shouldn't be.

So my recommendation would be to put everything you MIGHT need in a global Clipping... just in case you might need it later, to avoid having to load a full chunk.
They were designed more to contain track settings (bus and aux routings, for instance). So if you spent 2 hours routing all your tracks to buses and aux tracks, setting plug-ins, etc., you put that into a Clipping, and next time you need the same (or similar) track configuration, they are right there for you.
For this to work properly, there are a few audio bundles tricks you need to know before, though. Requires some planning, but it is TOTALLY worth it.

I understand what you are saying about Live, though. Seems like a nice feature, but its reason to be is a little different.

With DP, Clippings can be pretty much ANYTHING: email, text documents, photos, tracks, etc.

One cool thing I do to save time when documenting a finished project (or even a project-in-process) is to, instead of writing stuff down like crazy, I just record my voice into my mobile phone. Then I transfer the files via bluetooth into the computer and make "project documentation clipping" out of these recordings. So in a few months, when I revisit the project, I don't have to scratch my head and figure out what the hell I did. I just click on the Clipping and listen to myself explaining what I did. MUCH better than writing, not to mention faster 8)

FMiguelez

Postby KEVORKIAN » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:29 am

FMiguelez wrote:One cool thing I do to save time when documenting a finished project (or even a project-in-process) is to, instead of writing stuff down like crazy, I just record my voice into my mobile phone. Then I transfer the files via bluetooth into the computer and make "project documentation clipping" out of these recordings. So in a few months, when I revisit the project, I don't have to scratch my head and figure out what the hell I did. I just click on the Clipping and listen to myself explaining what I did. MUCH better than writing, not to mention faster 8)

Awesome idea!
dp7.2 || os 10.6.7 || 2x2.8 (eight core) intel mac pro, 16gb ram || metric halo uln-8 || motu traveler || euphonix mc control || waves mercury || abbey road bundle || mh channelstrip || toontrack sd 2.0, ez drummer, drumtracker || addictive drums || drumcore 3 || ni komplete 5 || reason || bidule || altiverb 6 || omnisphere, stylus RMX || melodyne 3.2 || stillwell || soundtoys || nomad factory|| psp || mpressor || dsm ||
KEVORKIAN

Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Postby BobK » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:27 pm

KEVORKIAN wrote:Awesome idea!

+1
Bob

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 2 x 3.33 GHz 6-Core Xeon, 40GB RAM, OS 10.12.6 || DP 9.5 || Metric Halo ULN-8
BobK

Postby dbl » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:09 pm

+1
MacPro 2.8 8-core, 20GB RAM, 10.6.8, DP 7.24, B4 II, Ivory II, Trillian, Altiverb 7, Pre 53, SampleTank 2.5, BCF 2000.
dbl

Postby twistedtom » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:14 pm

I never tried to do it like that FM, I just may give it a go.
I have to bitch, the one thing DP does not do that I want is to is to make the blue head lights that blind me when I drive at night into soft yellow like most car lights. Why does DP not have a blue headlight to yellow headlight converter? I think logic does.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
twistedtom

Postby Phil O » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:27 am

FMiguelez wrote:One cool thing I do to save time when documenting a finished project (or even a project-in-process) is to, instead of writing stuff down like crazy, I just record my voice into my mobile phone...
Many moons ago (my first job when I got out of college), I had a job at a medical research lab. Part of my job was to set up and operate an 8 channel FM tape recorder. It had a ninth channel that was audio only, and we used it exactly for that purpose. As we calibrated each channel, a voice record was put on the audio track to correspond to what was going on. As experiments were being performed the researchers would also make comments for a permanent record which were later typed up by an assistant.

A typical entry would be:
"Good morning Mr. Tape. This is Phil O calibrating channel three for arterial blood pressure. This is a signal corresponding to zero mm Hg. Hey Mr. Tape. Have you heard the one about the two corpuscles that loved in vein?"

Phil
DP 9.02/9.51, Mac Pro 2.66 quad[1,1] (6 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 2.8 octo[3,1], (12 Gig RAM), OS 10.6.8/10.11.6, two MOTU 828s, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-1e, UAD-2, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Postby wheever » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:36 pm

Is it just me, or are the grid lines almost impossible to tell apart from the barlines in the GE? I know they're actually blue, and the barlines are dark gray, but they're pretty identical in terms of overall darkness and I find them IMPOSSIBLE to tell apart from more then about 6 inches away.

Anyone? Can one of them there interface skins fix this?
Performer user since--HOLY CR*P--1986? YIKES!
wheever

Postby erikjamesmusic » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:48 pm

I think I'm late to the party, but I'd like to chime in.

This has been brought up before in this thread and other threads I've posted on motunation, but the lack of "MIDI Learn" or "Attach MIDI Controller" in DP is very disappointing. This feature is SO useful in Logic and It's such a pain to automate a parameter in Plugin XYZ if this feature is unavailable, as is the case in DP. PLEASE CONSIDER IMPLEMENTING THIS MOTU!

Also, Protools has a couple features that I wish DP had.

The first is "Tab to Transient" feature. You can literally press the tab button and Protools locates the nearest transient (punch point). SO helpful for audio editing.

Protools also has a "Normalize" function for audio. In Protools, you can adjust the percentage of normalization to bring the soundbite closer to 0db. For instance, if a soundbite peaks at -24db, and you want to bring the overall gain closer to 0db, you can "Normalize" the soundbite by %50, which would bring the peak to -12db. Currently, in DP, you can only normalize in the waveform editor (why would this not be a standard plugin or audio effect?), and there's no percentage option. You have to normalize to 0db. Lame.

Otherwise, I love DP. I need Assign MIDI Controller though!
Mac Pro 8-core 2.8, 10g RAM, OS 10.6.4, DP 7.22, MOTU 828mk3, UAD-2 Duo, Dynaudio BM5-As, Nord E3-73, Kurzweil PC3-X, Mackie Control Universal, NI Komplete 7/Kore 2, PLAY 2 (most libraries), Spectrasonics, Altiverb, Vir2, etc...
erikjamesmusic

Postby Sean Kenny » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:07 pm

erikjamesmusic wrote:Also, Protools has a couple features that I wish DP had.

The first is "Tab to Transient" feature. You can literally press the tab button and Protools locates the nearest transient (punch point). SO helpful for audio editing.

Protools also has a "Normalize" function for audio. In Protools, you can adjust the percentage of normalization to bring the soundbite closer to 0db. For instance, if a soundbite peaks at -24db, and you want to bring the overall gain closer to 0db, you can "Normalize" the soundbite by %50, which would bring the peak to -12db. Currently, in DP, you can only normalize in the waveform editor (why would this not be a standard plugin or audio effect?), and there's no percentage option. You have to normalize to 0db. Lame.

Otherwise, I love DP.

I'll second that

DP is still my favoured platform though

Sean Kenny

http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - M&K Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
Sean Kenny

PreviousNext

Return to MOTU Theoretical Discussions, Gripes, Petitions & Off Topic