Done griping about Performer's shortcomings.

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Mr. Quimper
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Done griping about Performer's shortcomings.

Post by Mr. Quimper »

I've frequently vented my frustrations w/ DP on this board over a number of issues ranging from frequent crashes to corrupted files, to the extent that I've sworn I was switching to Logic, but I've finally come to accept the fact that DP is easily my favorite environment for composing music, and its strengths far outweigh its flaws. I haven't been using Performer for decades like many of you, only 4 years now, and I started off on Pro Tools and still know it the best, however, compared to any other environment (and I've some experience w/ nearly everything save the Windows-only apps and some specialized apps like Numerology) DP is the most inspiring, "logical" and useful music software that I have encountered. If MOTU can nail down the stability, reduce corrupted project files or provide a system of automatic backups, I will be a happy camper.

So, no more raving rants about how I'm leaving DP for good. I just really need to get super compulsive about making backup copies of project files in the seemingly inevitable event of a corrupted project file.

:mrgreen:
2.5Ghz Quad-Core/20GB DDR3/10.11.6/DP 9.5
Frodo

Re: Done griping about Performer's shortcomings.

Post by Frodo »

Mr. Quimper--- our dear gray/white kitty face!!

See there? You want experience? The solution is to just keep living. Connect the dots. Do the addition. Most importantly, do the subtraction.

It's all "homework". We all gotta do our homework. If it's addition and subtraction homework, then you realize how basic the homework is! (Can a hobbit get a witness all up in da house?)

If the answer to that last rhetorical question was "no", then I understand.

When it gets down to the conclusion of "I'll take that problem over this solution"... then there's something really significant at issue. Some of it may even be downright SICK!! LOL!

It takes most people a decade to figure this out. Slow, but there are 1998 standards and then there are 2009 standards, I know.

So--- hey-- congrats on being "done" I salute you, in fact!!
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Mr. Quimper wrote: If MOTU can nail down the stability, reduce corrupted project files or provide a system of automatic backups, I will be a happy camper.
:mrgreen:
This is the ONLY issue making me bounce between Logic 9 and DP6 for mixing.. I Love DP, but Logics stability keeps me in temptation mode. And now with the AE sounding MUCH better, my reasons for staying are waning fast.

Only thing Left is My HUGE investment in MTU hardware and the interactivity between DP and my MOTU gear
DP 6.02
Quad 3.0 Ghz, 8.0 GB RAM, 2 - 1TB HD, 5 - 500GB HD's (RAID)
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

29 years in this business and counting.....Loving every minute of it.....
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Don't forget that just a few short years ago, Logic's instability was causing a mass exodus of Logic users to DP, especially as a front end to a PT HD hard drive.

Here's what BT said, about 4 years ago, when he was desperate for a rig that wouldn't crash:
BT wrote:It seems to be a recurring nightmare. “Dude, I’ve been wanting to say this in Keyboard for awhile,” says BT, emphatically, “and I mean it. I will fly my ass to wherever you are, buy you a nice dinner, and throw in a bottle of wine. I’m talking expensive, you pick the place, bring your significant other, whatever. I’ll totally hang out with you, and you can even pitch me your music, if you can show me one thing: A Logic Audio system working over Pro Tools HD under Mac OS X that doesn’t crash.

“Seriously, I’m bringing a FireWire drive to your house, we’ll work for two hours, and if it doesn’t crash, dinner’s on me! Plus, I’ll buy your PT rig on the spot.

“The HD system we have sounds beautiful, and it lives on Mike DiMattia’s workstation in the kitchen. I’ve talked to all the great people from all the companies involved, and according to them, it simply works with Logic. But it doesn’t. When we were doing the movie Stealth, the computer crashed — I remember the number — 133 times! Just assigning tracks and dragging plug-ins . . . not even playing anything back yet! This is why we still keep a Mix Plus-24 system on OS 9 around for the film world, where everything has to go Pro Tools.”

The pendulum swings to and fro. Eventually.... it's got to swing back to DP, and we'll get a stable system out of it. I think I'll retire then.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
giles117

Post by giles117 »

I remember Logic 7. Crashed so much. LOL. I was happy to be a DP slut. I basically used it for sequencing and saved very often. LOL.

Setting autosave to once every 2 minutes

DP still gives me the flexibility of a Console (far as routing) but Logics stability and the ability to instantiate plugins without the spinning beachball and fear of a crash and the Autosave makes it very very tempting to try it again. Logic 8 was better, but I didnt quite like the sound of the mixes I got out of her, so I ran back to DP. There are some posts of that laying around here. LOL.
DP 6.02
Quad 3.0 Ghz, 8.0 GB RAM, 2 - 1TB HD, 5 - 500GB HD's (RAID)
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

29 years in this business and counting.....Loving every minute of it.....
saboor
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by saboor »

Snow Leopard will be an interesting cookie until all apps and plugins get fully up to speed. I'm just guessing, but we will likely see some apps take full advantage of 10.6's 64-bit kernel while other apps and plugins will have to run in some sort of 32-bit emulation mode. Which apps and plugins will get there and "when" is among my list of concerns and it makes me hesitant to move too quickly on upgrading before knowing all the facts.
saboor
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

saboor wrote:Snow Leopard will be an interesting cookie until all apps and plugins get fully up to speed. I'm just guessing, but we will likely see some apps take full advantage of 10.6's 64-bit kernel while other apps and plugins will have to run in some sort of 32-bit emulation mode. Which apps and plugins will get there and "when" is among my list of concerns and it makes me hesitant to move too quickly on upgrading before knowing all the facts.
We're on Yosemite today. You're posting this in the year 2015? Something is fishy. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Methinks he is a spam-bot.

Looks to me like an old post copied in - this happened to one of my posts not too long ago, it was copied word for word into an new, irrelevant thread by a one post wonder.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Reading a vintage rant about DP 6 was entertaining on a Thursday morning.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 65#p303665
Frodo wrote:[Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:14 am] Snow Leopard will be an interesting cookie until all apps and plugins get fully up to speed. I'm just guessing, but we will likely see some apps take full advantage of 10.6's 64-bit kernel while other apps and plugins will have to run in some sort of 32-bit emulation mode. Which apps and plugins will get there and "when" is among my list of concerns and it makes me hesitant to move too quickly on upgrading before knowing all the facts.
Ok... I think this Saboor is a candidate for deletion. You've got to wonder what people like that are up to. They just post random quotes? Or are they posting with the intention of sounding relevant (copying a known member) while preparing to unleash a bucket of SPAM on the forum? Just getting their memberships secured for later infiltration of spam?

That's about as good an explanation as any. I say off with his header. Delete!

Spam is spam, and it's all poison if left unchecked.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It's obvious Saboor wrote this in 2009. He went to get some coffee, and when he came back, realized he'd hit the Preview button instead of the Submit button. So he hit Submit. Happens all the time.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
billf

Post by billf »

bayswater wrote:It's obvious Saboor wrote this in 2009. He went to get some coffee, and when he came back, realized he'd hit the Preview button instead of the Submit button. So he hit Submit. Happens all the time.
He's using Windows. That explains it.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

bayswater wrote: He went to get some coffee, and when he came back, realized he'd hit the Preview button instead of the Submit button.
Obviously the coffee was made in his online UK kitchen.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Read through this before realizing it was a spambot...
BT, man, the whole idea of Logic or DP as front end for Pro Tools, then blaming Logic or DP for poor performance. Don't get me wrong, unstable software is a PITA, but when two companies are involved it's a crap shoot which is causing issues. Seriously, at this point PT dropped all support for doing this, probably because they put almost no effort into it in the first place.

It just reminds me of the amount of times on forums I read someone yelling about x DAW being a POS because a certain plug in crashes it every time.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cuttime wrote:
bayswater wrote: He went to get some coffee, and when he came back, realized he'd hit the Preview button instead of the Submit button.
Obviously the coffee was made in his online UK kitchen.
Those UK kitchens are so far ahead of what we can do. On-line coffee. Amazing.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8