Conductor track can take a hike for all I care

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
EMRR
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Conductor track can take a hike for all I care

Post by EMRR »

I would really like the conductor track in DP to f#%& off permanently. I don't use it, I probably never will. It's always hidden, and it's somehow randomly in record mode on a pretty regular basis, forcing me to make it visible and disarm it.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Conductor track can take a hike for all I care

Post by James Steele »

EMRR wrote:I would really like the conductor track in DP to f#%& off permanently. I don't use it, I probably never will. It's always hidden, and it's somehow randomly in record mode on a pretty regular basis, forcing me to make it visible and disarm it.
But how do you really feel? I guess just because you don't use it, there might be some protest from those who do. I don't know how you managed to get it in record mode randomly. I guess that's something I've managed to avoid. Thanks however for putting this in the "Gripes" section where it does indeed belong.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
magicd

Post by magicd »

Without the conductor track, you would not have:

Tempo changes
Meter changes
Key changes
Metronome click changes
Markers
Visual film cues

Check your new file template to make sure the conductor track is not record enabled.

Dave
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

EMRR wrote:I would really like the conductor track in DP to f#%& off permanently. I don't use it, I probably never will. It's always hidden, and it's somehow randomly in record mode on a pretty regular basis, forcing me to make it visible and disarm it.
I could simply not use DP without the conductor track. I use it and abuse it for 99% of the work I do.

You may be happy writing music with no tempo changes and in 4/4, but you will find most people here use it in one form or another :?

Sounds like your problem is that it gets armed to record randomly and on its own, NOT that there IS a conductor track... it's one of DP's best features. It couldn't be used for scoring otherwise...

What you describe has NEVER happened to me, and I don't recall reading anything like that here either.

And, if I may add to Dave's list, we wouldn't have this either (these are a sub-set of consequences of his list, though):

No Record Beats
No Adjust Beats
No Tap Tempo
No Find Tempo
No flowing music (only same-tempo and static music)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Jim

Post by Jim »

If you don't like it, don't use it. It doesn't record anything, meaning it doesn't take up any data, unless you're feeding data into it, as has already been mentioned for Tap Tempo, etc.

There are a lot of features in DP I don't use, and probably never will. I initially objected to Adjust Beats, as I figured that having good rhythm is a core competency for any musician, and has no business in a product marketed to professionals. I wouldn't go near it with a ten foot pole.

But, silly me. I failed to consider that the bulk of music being sold today is by incompetent hacks, who are providing careers and income opportunities for engineer / producers who can make their crap marketable.

I sure wouldn't want to deprive them of an income at the expense of my own comfort and opinions, especially when it's so easy just to ignore the features I don't use. As long as Feature Bloat doesn't diminish the software, I don't mind as much.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Jim wrote:But, silly me. I failed to consider that the bulk of music being sold today is by incompetent hacks, who are providing careers and income opportunities for engineer / producers who can make their crap marketable.
8)

Kewl "beatz" anyone? :)
Jim wrote:There are a lot of features in DP I don't use, and probably never will. I initially objected to Adjust Beats, as I figured that having good rhythm is a core competency for any musician, and has no business in a product marketed to professionals. I wouldn't go near it with a ten foot pole.
For the purposes you mean, I TOTALLY agree. But remember that Adjust Beats (with a combination of Record Beats) is a very nice way of "finding the tempi" and make the conductor track click to rubato performances that were recorded wild as well. To me, that's Adjust Beats' raison d'être.

Other than that, I totally agree with you :)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

magicd wrote:Without the conductor track, you would not have:

Tempo changes
Meter changes
Key changes
Metronome click changes
Markers
Visual film cues

Check your new file template to make sure the conductor track is not record enabled.

Dave
Thanks for the list, it frames some interconnected actions well. I appreciate it's usefulness, but Markers are the only thing on that list that I have ever used. I'd love it if it could be removed from the window altogether, just like deleting audio/aux/master fader tracks, as opposed to just hidden. Let it do it's core minimal thing as a background process.

It really does seem to randomly go into record mode; maybe some keystroke I'm unaware of. Possibly when I beat on the keyboard with my fist. :shock: :lol: It does this while stopped, after play or record, before recording again. While hidden from view. It's not enabled in a template. It never starts that way in a new project, it does it somewhere along the way, when I record enable something new. Hit record, get a window that says can't record because Conductor:

"must select 'tap tempo' and 'slave to external sync' before you can record to conductor track"

To my knowledge I never enabled record on that track; I can't even see the Conductor track. In terms of associated hardware, it does it both with and without an AlphaTrack controller attached. DP4.61 on through DP6.02.

Open track selector, make Conductor visible, disable record, hide Conductor, close track selector, proceed with recording. Several times a day, every day.

I'd love to hear how I'm an idiot, and there's an obvious solution I've missed.

Thanks for listening :)
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

James Steele wrote: But how do you really feel?
I feel fine James, thanks for asking.
James Steele wrote:Thanks however for putting this in the "Gripes" section where it does indeed belong.
You're welcome.
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Lighten up guys, it's only his 338th post. Give the kid a break!!

But it is funny...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

FMiguelez wrote:
Jim wrote:There are a lot of features in DP I don't use, and probably never will. I initially objected to Adjust Beats, as I figured that having good rhythm is a core competency for any musician, and has no business in a product marketed to professionals. I wouldn't go near it with a ten foot pole.
For the purposes you mean, I TOTALLY agree. But remember that Adjust Beats (with a combination of Record Beats) is a very nice way of "finding the tempi" and make the conductor track click to rubato performances that were recorded wild as well. To me, that's Adjust Beats' raison d'être.

Other than that, I totally agree with you :)
+1

I would also say that some of the most musical performances I ever heard were recorded in real-time with wonderful rubato. I wouldn't change those tracks for anything in the world-- and I get so many tracks to "sweeten" with strings which were not recorded at my studio. I couldn't live without Adjust Beats.

It's not always about compensating for bad performances. Even a great track with grooving drums can be added to DP and then DP can lock to it without the risk of tampering with the performance.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Lighten up guys, it's only his 338th post. Give the kid a break!!

But it is funny...
Which part?

Half as many as MagicD; at least the answers are coming from people with thousands/
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
magicd

Post by magicd »

I've never seen the conductor track record-enable itself spontaneously. I believe you when you say you keep finding it record-enabled. I'd be interested to know how that is happening.

Tracks get record-enabled one of two ways. You either click on the record enable button for the track, or you use some sort of remote command.

Remote commands include:
Record Enable Next Track
Record Enable Previous Track
Track Record Enable (Track must be selected for this to work)

There is a remote for Record Beats, but that is unassigned by default.

So perhaps what is happening is that you have an adjacent track record-enabled, and you are hitting the up or down arrow keys. These are the defaults for record enable next or previous track.

You can't delete the Conductor Track.

You can hide it in a Track Folder.

And now I have one more post in my count!

Dave
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

The conductor track is your friend. :D Even if you don't use MIDI, it has its uses. Did you know that the easiest way to move a marker is to simply drag it in the conductor track? :wink:

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

The up/down arrow keys change the record-enabled track, and it's easy enough to overshoot by one and accidently record-enable the Conductor Track.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

It's funny how this post inadvertently answered my own dead post in the DP forum about how best to work with "real-time" performances in a way that doesn't make the Conductor track irrelevant. :-)

Thanks so much for all the advice from people here. I couldn't live without the Conductor Track, and now I see other ways to utilise it on legacy material (from tape days) that will dramatically improve my ability to work effectively with that material in the digital domain.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH