It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:35 pm

Text Size

JambaLaya is Now Free to UnicorNation Members

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!

JambaLaya is Now Free to UnicorNation Members

Postby SixStringGeek » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:44 pm

I mentioned this buried in another thread and James, feel free to make it sticky somewhere or other so all those interested can take advantage. This offer ends at the end of August 2008 (for now).

I've just released version 1.1.0 of JambaLaya - you can download it at http://www.audiofreakshow.com

Second, I'm giving away free 1 year licenses to Unicornation members - all I ask is that you provide me feedback and show it to your friends if you like it.

To get a license - email your Unicornation user name and the name you want it "registered to" to freakshow42@mac.com

For those who don't know - JambaLaya is an AudioUnits host specifically aimed at live performance. It is your mixer, synth and effects rack, and fake book all in one application. In my case it is also my guitar rig (yay AmpliTube).

Go Play!
Last edited by SixStringGeek on Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JambaLaya on MacBook for live performance.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Too many plugs to keep a list.
Wall full of guitars.
Sterling by MM Ray 34 Bass.
Hammond XK3C + Korg Kronos
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
SixStringGeek

Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Postby Frodo » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:18 pm

Hey Six:

Well, aren't you the forum Santa today? Thanks so much for your generosity. What a brilliant idea.

I'll be sure to pass this along..

Cheers!
Frodo

Postby sdfalk » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:35 pm

What a fine fellow indeed..cant wait to kick the tires :D
sdfalk

Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Postby FMiguelez » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:22 pm

Do you mean you WROTE that app??

Wow! I'm impressed :shock:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.10.3 / DP 9.02
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Platinum, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VE Pro, etc.

---------------------------

"There's random genetic variation, and non-random survival, and non-random reproduction, which is why, as the generations go by, animals get better at doing what they do. That is quintessentially non-random". ― Richard Dawkins
FMiguelez

Postby SixStringGeek » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:48 pm

FMiguelez wrote:.

Do you mean you WROTE that app??

Wow! I'm impressed :shock:

Its kind of a curse. Being a developer, anytime I find a chunk of sub-optimal software, I'm apt to grumble "I can do better than that" and go off an do it. I was gonna do an album last year, I ended up doing this instead.

Focus - must learn to focus. :-)
Wall full of guitars.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
SixStringGeek

Postby Frodo » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:08 pm

and you play guitar, too.

Impressive!! 8)
Frodo

Postby kassonica » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:54 am

Much thanks for this.

I can't wait to fire it up in DP6 :D

I've said this before and I'll say it again, IS THERE ANYTHING THE NATION CAN'T PROVIDE.

:wink:
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
kassonica

Postby muzishun » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:29 am

Thanks!
Mike

DP 6.02 - OS 10.5.6, MacPro 2.26 Dual Quad - 12 Gb RAM // DP 5.11 - OS 10.4.11 , G5 dual 2G PPC // 4.5 GB RAM // 2408 mkIII and 2408 //assorted plugs and VIs//Radikal SAC 2.2//
muzishun

Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Postby bkshepard » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:01 am

This looks really cool! I'm anxious to give it a whirl! Thanks! :D
-Brian

iMac 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, OS 10.12.1, DP 9.12, MachFive 3.2.1, MSI 1.1.3, MTP AV, 896HD
bkshepard

Postby bayswater » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:29 pm

I've downloaded and received a SN. On launching, my options are Cancel, or Purchase License. Cancel does what it says. Purchase License takes me to the original site's registration page where I get a 404.

Anyone successfully registered this?
2009 iMac 27" i7 16G, DP 8.07/9.02/9.5 & OS 10.12.6, Logic 10.3.2, Scarlett 18i8
2011 MBP 16G DP 9.5 & OS 10.12.6, Lexicon Alpha
Dual 2.0G G5 PCI 2G, DP 7.24 & OS 10.5.8, 2408 MKII, UAD-1
bayswater

Postby SixStringGeek » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:58 am

bayswater wrote:I've downloaded and received a SN. On launching, my options are Cancel, or Purchase License. Cancel does what it says. Purchase License takes me to the original site's registration page where I get a 404.

Anyone successfully registered this?

Sorry you're having trouble.

Just to make sure you're starting fresh, go into your home directory/Library/Preferences/ folder and throw away the file

com.audiofreakshow.JambaLaya.plist

If you don't have it, don't worry.

Make sure your audio interface is available and that the same device is used for input and output so you don't get the IO error dialog.

Launch JambaLaya.

It will ask if you want to automatically check at startup for updates. I recommend you say 'yes'.

The program should finish launching and you should be looking at JambaLaya's main screen in all its rainbow colored glory.

From the Jambalaya menu choose "Register..."

You should see this: Image

Enter the 'registered to' name you chose in the first field and paste in the license key in the second one. They must match. When they agree, the button on the lower right will become enabled and you can complete the process.

If you wait too long, your key will expire (keys must be installed within a couple of days). Thus, it will never enable. If this should happen, its no biggie, email me at freakshow42@mac.com and I'll send you a new one.

Just to be sure, I've already sent you a fresh one - check your email.
Wall full of guitars.
SixStringGeek

Postby SixStringGeek » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:26 pm

BTW, I generally respond to key requests within 24 hours - if you've asked and I haven't responded, please ask again. A couple people have had emails go missing.
Wall full of guitars.
SixStringGeek

Postby twistedtom » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:33 am

Just what is it? It looks like it ties together programs for live playing?
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
twistedtom

Postby SixStringGeek » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:21 pm

twistedtom wrote:Just what is it? It looks like it ties together programs for live playing?

From the first message:
JambaLaya is an AudioUnits host specifically aimed at live performance. It is your mixer, synth and effects rack, and fake book all in one application. In my case it is also my guitar rig (yay AmpliTube).

I wrote it because trying to use DP to play keyboards and guitar in a little fun band was like trying to crush an ant with a bulldozer. Plus, I got tired of having both a computer and a fake book on my keyboards, wanted to use Amplitube for my guitar instead of dragging my MESA Boogie+effects everywhere.

I guess I'll give you a quick little tour.

On the left are two lists - the top one is your sets. A set is just an ordered list of songs. The lower list is the songs in the selected set. The All Songs items is special and displays all songs in alphabetical order. You use drag and drop to add/remove/reorder songs in sets.

At the bottom right is an 8 channel mixer+master volume where each channel has, from top to bottom, a MIDI source, an audio source, 4 insert effects points, and an audio output.

An audio source can be a hardware audio input, a virtual instrument, or an external synth - which is really just an audio input + a MIDI program change command. All the external synths you define in AudioMIDISetup appear in the audio source list. JambaLaya understands .midnam files for patch selection of these. The mixer faders can be MIDI mapped to external controller.

Above the mixer is the keyboard range mapper. So you drag the ends of the red bar to set the range of keys mapped to the instrument on the red channel. This is all your splits/layers in an easy to see/set location.

The MIDI detail pane just left of the keyboard lets you restrict MIDI channel (like in DP, I usually leave it to omni), transpose by octaves and half steps, remap the MIDI output channel, configure an elaborate MIDI filter, or 5ths and 8ths lets you stack notes - essentially giving you one finger power chords - I use it to make fat horn parts.

In the top right, just under the CPU meter, is the mixer/lyrics selector. Mixer view is used for making patches. Lyrics view is for performance.

You can paste any text you like in the big central field - I put lyrics with chords. A mini version of the mixer is on the right so you can still adjust the mix. That's basically what it does. Each song remembers its mix, keyboard mappings, all AudioUnit states, and lyrics.

To use it as a guitar rig, I bring in a guitar on one of the guitar/mix preamps on my MOTU Ultralight, choose that input for a channel, add X-Gear as the first insert effect, pick an output, and jam. Its nice because changing songs also changes your guitar sound for you. With adequate audio hardware, this could replace the mixer for a small combo.

I also used this with a VOX ToneLab LE for awhile as an external device and just had it send patch change info so I didn't have to hop around on one foot between songs to dial up the next patch.

If anyone comes up with a use case that JambaLaya doesn't quite handle, please let me know - if it makes sense, I'll add it.
Wall full of guitars.
SixStringGeek

Postby twistedtom » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:25 am

Nice job it even looks nice, thank you.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
twistedtom

Next

Return to MOTU Theoretical Discussions, Gripes, Petitions & Off Topic