The Longest, Most Inconsistently-Off-Topic Thread in History

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
twistedtom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The Longest, Most Inconsistently-Off-Topic Thread in His

Post by twistedtom »

Conspiracy theory of the week, sort of a joke.
I got a cold a week before Christmas and I am still fighting it, it seems like colds last for a long time any more. I wonder if this is true as even younger people have them last for weeks or more. Is it evolution or genetic manipulation by the drug companies to sell more cold medicine? I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

environment and what you eat has allot to do with how well your body fights off sickness may be time for a life style change.
I've been lucky this year haven't even got a cold but I've been around lots of sick people I also seam to be developing a phobia about washing my hands.
I do remember a couple of years ago having a cold for weeks on end that won't go away.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

A few years back I read an article by a doctor who thought that cold seasons were kind of backwards. Rhinovirus thrive in warm, moist environments, so why is winter the cold season? He thought that reduced sunlight could be the culprit and started polling his patients on their use of vitamins, with focus on vitamin D. To make a long story short, he now suggests winter D supplements to his patients.

So what the heck. I tried it. I've been taking a D supplement during the cold season now for 4 (I think) years and I've had my first cold in three years just recently, but it only lasted 3 or 4 days.

I can't say for sure it's the supplement, but I don't think it hurts.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Hey, I just went back and looked at page 1. This thread started in 2008. Way to go, MM. This IS the longest, most inconsistently-off-topic thread in history - and still goin' strong. 8)

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Didn't have one last year and not yet this year.
Was on a 4 hour flight last week the person beside me was coughing and sneezing the whole flight thought for sure I would have got it.
lots of raw fruit and veg seam to be working for me.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

twistedtom wrote:Conspiracy theory of the week, sort of a joke.
I got a cold a week before Christmas and I am still fighting it, it seems like colds last for a long time any more. I wonder if this is true as even younger people have them last for weeks or more. Is it evolution or genetic manipulation by the drug companies to sell more cold medicine? I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.
Probably not a cold. I've have this happen twice. Both times it was a virus other than a cold once in the sinus and once in the lungs. Both times, a prescription for 5 steroid pill cleared it up completely.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Y'all are WAAAY too on topic. I'm
sick
and tired of hearing about it anyway. (jk).

Now...

It did not rain today where I live. The centipedes are happy.

Hi & Howdy MM. - hcm
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

What name do you give to an adopted stray dog that's very tall and fast, but not very smart?
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Spears.

'...the American Brittany is taller and faster than the French Brittany, which is smaller and generally works more closely to the hunter...'

Reference.

Not sure the 'not so smart' bit is fair, but...
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

BKK-OZ wrote:Spears.

'...the American Brittany is taller and faster than the French Brittany, which is smaller and generally works more closely to the hunter...'

Reference.

Not sure the 'not so smart' bit is fair, but...
Stoopid RIch.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

twistedtom wrote:Conspiracy theory of the week, sort of a joke.
Hey Tommy Boy! Hope you're OK, mate.
Three words: Olive leaf extract.

It's cheap, goes a looong way (typically 4-6 months per bottle), and kills ALL viruses. It therefore supports the immune system in that it reduces the bacterial and viral burden. A sustained dose of 5-10ml a day, in every case where I've recommended it, has resulted in zero colds and 'flu. It's been 10 years now and not a single case has surfaced.

Further more, even if one hasn't built up one's immune system through diet and / or the extract, one can blast a cold or 'flu to Hell in just a few hours with a triple dose. I kid you not. Makes you wonder about all the hype surrounding ebola and so on. It's only a virus after all. In fact there are several (I used to know 6 but have forgotten them all!) methods of killing viruses. 15 to 20 grammes of vitamin C in the form of sodium ascorbate and ascorbic acid powders mixed 50 / 50 per day will do it. So will colloidal silver, which suffocates all viruses within 6 minutes upon contact.

You have many options, Tom; all you needed was to stumble across a buff(oon) such as moi! :wink:

Oh, by the way, I haven't forgotten about my promise some 7 years ago to record the menagerie of birds that the buffoon two doors down attracted to my street with bread, sugar and orange juice (20 litres a day) for you. Only problem is, he moved 3 years ago and things are back to normal now. I'm so sorry, mate; I hadn't forgotten about you!
wylie1 wrote:environment and what you eat has allot to do with how well your body fights off sickness may be time for a life style change.
I've been lucky this year haven't even got a cold but I've been around lots of sick people I also seam to be developing a phobia about washing my hands.
I do remember a couple of years ago having a cold for weeks on end that won't go away.
Hey oh Wiley One. Good to see ya bro'.

It always comes back to this because it's an undeniable truth. Diet is king. Few get anywhere near the ideal though, hence the cold, 'flu and other health issues. Tom's conspiracy question can easily be answered with a cursory glance at the state of peoples' diets these days. 'Nuff said.
Phil O wrote:A few years back I read an article by a doctor who thought that cold seasons were kind of backwards. Rhinovirus thrive in warm, moist environments, so why is winter the cold season? He thought that reduced sunlight could be the culprit and started polling his patients on their use of vitamins, with focus on vitamin D. To make a long story short, he now suggests winter D supplements to his patients.

So what the heck. I tried it. I've been taking a D supplement during the cold season now for 4 (I think) years and I've had my first cold in three years just recently, but it only lasted 3 or 4 days.

Phil
Phil-O-Sophy! Howzit fella! Great to see you're still frequenting this neighbourhood and slummin' it with the best of them.

Yes, it wouldn't hurt any, to answer in the American vernacular. It's no pancreasea(!), but it'd be better than a hole in the head.
Phil O wrote:Hey, I just went back and looked at page 1. This thread started in 2008. Way to go, MM. This IS the longest, most inconsistently-off-topic thread in history - and still goin' strong. 8)
Phil
Thank God we managed to live up to the hype of the title. :woohoo:
wylie1 wrote:Didn't have one last year and not yet this year.
Was on a 4 hour flight last week the person beside me was coughing and sneezing the whole flight thought for sure I would have got it.
lots of raw fruit and veg seam to be working for me.
I love these situations; I've even invited folks over to cough all over me in order to prove my points about those solutions I shared. Interestingly, the examples I've provided them, IMHO, are even more powerful than they might appear to be on the surface as my immune system is shot (chronic fatigue, auto-immune, heavy metal poisoning etc.).
bayswater wrote:Probably not a cold. I've have this happen twice. Both times it was a virus other than a cold once in the sinus and once in the lungs. Both times, a prescription for 5 steroid pill cleared it up completely.
Baysey! How are ya Stoivo? How's one of our many resident geniuses, eh? Hang on, I'll just go ask him... only kidding, of course. Folks' this guy (just quietly) possesses powerful logical-thought abilities. A rare beast, typical of a Unicorn.

Of course, the OLE would no doubt have helped no end in your situations, Stoivo.
HCMarkus wrote:Y'all are WAAAY too on topic. I'm
sick
and tired of hearing about it anyway. (jk).

Now...

It did not rain today where I live. The centipedes are happy.

Hi & Howdy MM. - hcm
Sir Markus! Howdy Doodie, dood. Good to see you haven't escaped the paddock, brother.

Thank you for the centipede update. Breaking news:
Almost all the snails in my garden are over the moon; they've really enjoyed the cool, wet summer thus far.
bayswater wrote:What name do you give to an adopted stray dog that's very tall and fast, but not very smart?
SlinkyDummerRunner? Sorry, that's the best I can do for now, bud. :)

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

You've still got it MM
Good to see you back.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

wylie1 wrote:You've still got it MM
Good to see you back.
I'll second that. MM, thanks for the name. Maybe shorten it to DummyRunner. EllyMayClampett was the runner up.
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Phil O wrote:A few years back I read an article by a doctor who thought that cold seasons were kind of backwards. Rhinovirus thrive in warm, moist environments, so why is winter the cold season? He thought that reduced sunlight could be the culprit and started polling his patients on their use of vitamins, with focus on vitamin D. To make a long story short, he now suggests winter D supplements to his patients.

Phil
I take D every day.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Whoa!!! My post from last night isn't here! That's weird. Maybe I never hit the submit button. Oh... I remember now. I had put some emoji characters in it, and the forum wouldn't accept them. Interestingly, I still have that message in the clipboard, and it DOES show up in the Preview (just won't take the final post), so I can paste it here, preview it, and shoot a screenshot. So, here's a PNG shot of the original message that never made it:

Good to have you back MM.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|