The Longest, Most Inconsistently-Off-Topic Thread in History

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
kassonica
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The Longest, Most Inconsistently-Off-Topic Thread in His

Post by kassonica »

mikehalloran wrote:
kassonica wrote:I'm awaiting 9.1 update before I can upgrade....

PLease come soon...

Thanks you long loyal pal

Kass

:love:
DP 8 never made it to 8.1. Just sayin...
then 9.03 anything that works as it should so I can buy it :smash:
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

kassonica wrote:I'm awaiting 9.1 update before I can upgrade....

PLease come soon...

Thanks you long loyal pal

Kass

:love:
You still on 7 or 8, Mark?

8 here. Haven't been as bowled over by 9 as I'd hoped based on the feedback so far. A 9.5 with some more goodies thrown in might tip the scales; 4.5 stands out as a shining example of this, but otherwise I'm going to sit out an integer upgrade for the first time since starting at 2.5 or 2.6.
bayswater wrote:
monkey man wrote:Naa... not for my Unicorn buddies, Stoivo; think: every other forum. Lots to be made there, especially given the quality of grammar these days.

It goes without saying that I'll have to start charging you though.
I've probably got an insurance plan that covers it.
I found this seriously funny, Stoivo.
mikehalloran wrote:I want it all!!! :banghead:
... and this nudged me over the edge, Mike.

Thank you for the laugh, guys; I really needed it.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Still on 7 mate...

Waiting to install the new converters at the studio I'm working out of... DP7 won't work with them and El capitan...
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

You're not going with MOTU's AVB-line converters?

They're freakin' awesome mate. Had 'em on lay-buy for a year now, and only a month or so to go...

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Uncanny that my previous post here mentioned that. I'll explain next time.

Get this, 'Cornies: I can't share the details of one of the most extraordinary days I've ever had for reasons that'll become evident next time I post here.

It's not how it affected me that matters, but rather, the statistically-anomalous concentration of incredibly-rare events. A convergence of improbabilities, if you will.

Unfortunately, no, I haven't been offered a contract at Sony; neither has MLI managed to secure that elusive government contract that'd have seen my entire staff sippin' fermented banana smoothies at our private man-made oasis in Dubai. In this regard, it'll be a brief-but-deflating read; for this I apologise in advance.

Geez, I'm really building this up, aren't I? Not the intention. I poked my head through the door in order to share, and then realised I'd have to hold out for a short-but-unspecified length of time. Suddenly, it'll be time, and I be here like a shot. It's no biggie in the grand scheme of things, but I s'pose it'll be instructive and perversely-entertaining for some.

What I can say is that it will provide a taste of the sort of improbable, sporadic and transient disaster zone that punctuated my life for many decades, exacerbating my health issues and serving only to bury me deeper in doodoo. Oh, and most relevant to the music thing, an insight as to the sort of improbable occurrence that can thwart even the most sincere and earnest of endeavours to, you guessed it, put some gear together so as to be able to produce some final pooduct.

Surely, even for me, that's gotta be settin' a new bar for obscurity...

Edited after Bayswater and then Miss Pellings struck my rear relentlessly with their digital canes.
Last edited by monkey man on Fri May 13, 2016 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:Surely, even for me, that's gotta be settin' a new bar for oracularity...
Keep it going ... (Though your English teacher, forgotten her name, might come at you menacingly with the Shorter OED for this particular use of "oracularity".)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

monkey man wrote:Uncanny that my previous post here mentioned that. I'll explain next time.

Get this, 'Cornies: I can't share the details of one of the most extraordinary days I've ever had for reasons that'll become evident next time I post here.
. . .
What I can say is that it will provide a taste of the sort of improbable, sporadic and transient disaster zone that punctuated my life for many decades, exacerbating my health issues and serving only to bury me deeper in doodoo. Oh, and most relevant to the music thing, an insight as to the sort of improbable occurrence that can thwart even the most sincere and earnest of endeavours to, you guessed it, put some gear together so as to be able to produce some final pooduct...
We expect nothing less.
:headbang:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

LOL Mike, you definitely have a knack. So much said with so few words and so often. I got several chuckles out of that, mate, even again now as I type this.

Thank you, bud!
bayswater wrote:
monkey man wrote:Surely, even for me, that's gotta be settin' a new bar for oracularity...
Keep it going ... (Though your English teacher, forgotten her name, might come at you menacingly with the Shorter OED for this particular use of "oracularity".)
I'll concede to your superior intel-titty-lect, Stoivo.

In my defence, I was going at it from the hard-to-interpret / enigmatic angle, but that's no excuse; I should've known better, given that you were likely to read it. Maybe.

I'll edit it and go with the classics instead; forgive my having to resort to the low-brow alternative, mate. I figure the pressure, along with the brain-spin I received the other day must've forced me to access nether regions of my skull, hence the relatively-obscene employment of oft-forgotten terms. Hope all's well enough in your neck of the Jungle, matey.

Alright, now I'm going to state the reason I'm here today. Someone please pause the MonkeyLabs 8-bit Cricket Ambience™ CD. Let the drum roll commence...

[Taps mic and clears throat...]

I'm here to inform you all that the show has been cancelled. His Majesty feels that the subjects alluded to on May 12th in this, the year of our Lord 2016, are inappropriately-shocking and depressing for this venue. Nothing further shall be said on this matter.

Refunds are available in the foyer, but please feel free to remain seated and instead savour a rare march-by performance by the Monkey Man March-by Orchestra, flown in only today at His Majesty's expense from the remote, mountainous northern region of Afghanistan. The orchestra has kindly offered to perform a low-altitude rendition of the entire 3rd World March By Series™. His Majesty, in His infinite wisdom, pleaded only that His personal favourite, the "3rd World March By - Movement Four - The Bowel Movement", be performed.

Enjoy your meals.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

That was great. I missed the Kazakstan festival.

On the topic of usage, oraculate as you please -- I'm only concerned that when in print, you might raise the wrath of said English teacher (still can't remember her name). I've had Le Petit Larousse sur la tête a few times for similar transgressions with Mlle. Boucher.
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

monkey man wrote:You're not going with MOTU's AVB-line converters?

They're freakin' awesome mate. Had 'em on lay-buy for a year now, and only a month or so to go...
god no :shock:

I've been using SSL at the studio, and Lynx at home, Going to orion antelope 32in/out for the studio
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

God no?

From what I've read, Mark, the converters are right up there, mate.

Our own EMRR (Doug) conducted loop-back tests that he published here... somewhere near the beginning of the thread I think IIRC:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... rface.html

You might want to check 'em out carefully - mighty impressive. There are also quite a few impressions shared in the thread, often comparing the AVB line's sound with higher-end (but not esoteric) offerings.

I'm hoping you said, "God no" for reasons other than sound quality, only because I'm nearing the end of a ridiculously-testing journey of acquiring an AVB system. A bizarre hiccup that's surfaced whilst I was trying to organise my final lay-buy payment (pending... could be fatal to the purchase's ever occurring, through no fault of my own but involving the wholesaler's losing the contract and becoming uncontactable), could mean that I miss out altogether, and on much more than just the purchase. This, along with mind-bending family developments, was the subject of my promised-but-not-delivered bombshell earlier.

Hope you're doing well, bud.
bayswater wrote:That was great. I missed the Kazakstan festival.
Sorry to hear you missed Kazakstan, Stoivo; it was epic. I can still taste the dust... I mean, air in my nostrils.
bayswater wrote:I've had Le Petit Larousse sur la tête a few times for similar transgressions with Mlle. Boucher.
Whilst I'm up to speed with most literary offerings down here in Jungleville, there are depth and breadth issues where the common market is concerned. Need I say that this went completely over my head?

I defer to your well-informed, superior intellect, Stoivo...

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:
bayswater wrote:I've had Le Petit Larousse sur la tête a few times for similar transgressions with Mlle. Boucher.
Whilst I'm up to speed with most literary offerings down here in Jungleville, there are depth and breadth issues where the common market is concerned. Need I say that this went completely over my head?
Let me explain. Le Petite Larousse is a not so small French dictionary, about the side of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary; the better part of a cubic foot of printed matter. French teacher, M. Boucher, paced the classroom cradling this publication like an infant, calmly and quietly noting transgressions in pronunciation, grammar or vocabulary, and later, without warning, came up behind the guilty and brought down the Larousse to the back of his or her head. All in the name of bilingualism.

With that out of the way, I've also heard good things about the MOTU converters in the AVB units, and wondered if this applies to the new Ultralite.
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

monkey man wrote:God no?

From what I've read, Mark, the converters are right up there, mate.

Our own EMRR (Doug) conducted loop-back tests that he published here... somewhere near the beginning of the thread I think IIRC:

You might want to check 'em out carefully - mighty impressive. There are also quite a few impressions shared in the thread, often comparing the AVB line's sound with higher-end (but not esoteric) offerings.

I'm hoping you said, "God no" for reasons other than sound quality, only because I'm nearing the end of a ridiculously-testing journey of acquiring an AVB system. A bizarre hiccup that's surfaced whilst I was trying to organise my final lay-buy payment (pending... could be fatal to the purchase's ever occurring, through no fault of my own but involving the wholesaler's losing the contract and becoming uncontactable), could mean that I miss out altogether, and on much more than just the purchase. This, along with mind-bending family developments, was the subject of my promised-but-not-delivered bombshell earlier.

Hope you're doing well, bud.
bayswater wrote:That was great. I missed the Kazakstan festival.
Sorry to hear you missed Kazakstan, Stoivo; it was epic. I can still taste the dust... I mean, air in my nostrils.

I defer to your well-informed, superior intellect, Stoivo...
I think I'll stick to my lynx convertors :)
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Can't go wrong there, Mark. Now I understand; thanks mate.

Just for beer and skittles, I reckon it'd be interesting to compare the AVB's converters with the Lynx's.

OK, a quick wrestle with the Google Machine™ yielded this, probably-most-obvios page:

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/avbtestimonials/quotes

Comparisons with Apogee, Universal Audio, a Sig-modded 002 and a Lynx Aurora...

There are many, more in-depth comparisons at the thread I pointed to earlier - here:

I totally get it that you're happy with what you've got, and that's awesome, Mark. As I said, just for beer and skittles. Who knows, it might just be handy to at least be aware of the sort of quality MOTU's now offering; the price : performance ratio is off the charts and easily the best out there IMHO.

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

D'Oh!

Just caught your post on the way out the door, Stoivo. Managed to squeeze a log-in after a power failure. Hang on... squeeze a log in? Shouldn't that be... er... never mind.
bayswater wrote:With that out of the way, I've also heard good things about the MOTU converters in the AVB units, and wondered if this applies to the new Ultralite.
I don't know if it applies to the new Ultralite. Sorry mate.
bayswater wrote:
monkey man wrote:
Let me explain. Le Petite Larousse is a not so small French dictionary, about the side of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary; the better part of a cubic foot of printed matter. French teacher, M. Boucher, paced the classroom cradling this publication like an infant, calmly and quietly noting transgressions in pronunciation, grammar or vocabulary, and later, without warning, came up behind the guilty and brought down the Larousse to the back of his or her head. All in the name of bilingualism.
Wonderful! Thank you for elucidating that, Stoivo. Love it mate.