The Longest, Most Inconsistently-Off-Topic Thread in History

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
twistedtom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The Longest, Most Inconsistently-Off-Topic Thread in His

Post by twistedtom »

Thanks for the advice guys, I may have to look into the steroid stuff if it does not go away soon. MM I will look into Olive leaf extract.

I would call a stray dog "Good by".
How do you call a dog with no legs?
Don't bother it is not going to come any ways.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

We need a sticky for Tom's cold. It won't go away.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

wylie1 wrote:You've still got it MM
Good to see you back.
Saw this on Facebook...couldn't resist in honor of MM's return!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Buzz that is funny as all H!

Nick I have been reading about Olive leave extract, I am going to give it a try; maybe we will not need to make my cold a sticky. :vomit:
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Red lights stink.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I'm very skeptical about most herbal remedies, but I heard about olive leaf extract and tried it a couple of years back. I had recurring plantar's warts and heard that olive leaf had anti-viral properties. It cleared up the warts, so I'm giving it a +1.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

The Longest, Most Inconsistently-Off-Topic Thread in History

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Fact is, many Rx drugs are extracts in super refined form. I'm sure big pharma wants you to buy their stuff and does what it can to block over the counter stuff that works just as well if not better. Then again there is the question of dosage with self medicating and the companies that scam people with inflated claims and prices. What's a boy to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Good to see you back.
Thank you, Oh Wylie One.

Thank goodness I've still got it; I can't see it, so your 3rd party observation is very much appreciated. What a relief! Seriously, I most definitely lost it for some years there (lost track of time during that period too), so I live in the hope that you're right...
Shooshie wrote:Whoa!!! My post from last night isn't here! That's weird. Maybe I never hit the submit button. Oh... I remember now. I had put some emoji characters in it, and the forum wouldn't accept them. Interestingly, I still have that message in the clipboard, and it DOES show up in the Preview (just won't take the final post), so I can paste it here, preview it, and shoot a screenshot. So, here's a PNG shot of the original message that never made it:
Good to have you back MM.

Shoosh
I love you brother. Thank you!

Hopefully all that wasn't too much trouble.
buzzsmith wrote:
Good to see you back.
Saw this on Facebook...couldn't resist in honor of MM's return!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ha! ... and he's a Poo Bear. Can't go wrong - if you can't toss a poo, why not a Poo Bear?
twistedtom wrote:MM I will look into Olive leaf extract.
Nothing to look at brah; just do it man! It can't harm you; you could drink the whole bottle.
bayswater wrote:We need a sticky for Tom's cold. It won't go away.
Ha ha ha. Not bad for a Genius.
twistedtom wrote:Nick I have been reading about Olive leave extract, I am going to give it a try; maybe we will not need to make my cold a sticky. :vomit:
:woohoo:
Phil O wrote:I'm very skeptical about most herbal remedies, but I heard about olive leaf extract and tried it a couple of years back. I had recurring plantar's warts and heard that olive leaf had anti-viral properties. It cleared up the warts, so I'm giving it a +1.

Phil
Awesome, Philly. In my experience, Zinc's the go-to mineral for any kind of warts, and cloves can knock 'em dead within... wait for it... waaaiiittt for it... a day.

I had an in-grown wart under my foot for around 12 years. Not painful, but uncomfortable and annoying. Went to a medieval party held by a friend (back when I had them!). He and his missus went to a lot of trouble to make authentic mead wine. Had 1 large cup and chewed the cloves therein; I couldn't resist as they had swelled to a huge size, were soft and didn't taste bad at all. Woke up the next morning sans wart. A slightly-shinier section of skin was the only clue anything had ever been amiss; it reverted to normal-looking skin within a few days. I told everyone I knew about this. As usual, I was poo-pooed. My cousin took it onboard though, and when his mum offered him some sort of home-made clove "spread" shortly thereafter, he pigged out on it, polishing most of the bottle off himself. His long-term warts on his hand/s promptly disappeared. He couldn't thank me enough, but of course, the fact that he took me seriously meant the world to me.

Dentists' mouth rinse of course boasts eugenol as its active ingredient. That's extracted from cloves. Cloves kill mould and fungus. I also figured that must be why, along with garlic and onion, cloves are critical in meat preparation, especially where raw or near-raw stuff is concerned. Boerewors, one of the best damned sausages in the world, is loaded with cloves. So is Worcestershire sauce, something I realised when trying to explain why, as a kid, I literally doused almost everything I ate with it along with HP sauce. Mum had to try to hide the pickled onions from me, as I'd polish off any jar at the first opportunititty. Now I know why. I wasn't well. Had on-going liver and immunity issues. I was simply listening to my body, even as a 6 year old. Heck, I had the same problem with roll mops. I mean, how many 6 year olds crave roll mops? I know now it was the onion and strong mineral content.

This sort of process of association of health observations with diet is precisely how Hippocrates discovered how to treat iodine and iron deficiencies, and indeed was the modus operandi he followed. The iron one is typical: He noticed that folks who drank water from horse troughs which had swords resting in them (for whatever reason, perhaps to soften dirt before cleaning), had their anaemia cured. Simple. Obvious, and yet subtle. He treated iodine deficiencies with dried, crushed sea sponges. We know today that they're loaded with iodine. The Limeys of course discovered that limes prevented scurvy and consequently saved lives on long trips, and today we know that 80mg (not much) of Vitamin C, present of course in limes, prevents... you guessed it. Hippocates' entire system of disease treatment paid homage to his credo, "Let food be your medicine, and your medicine be food". He was the "father" of medicine. Of course, doctors these days no longer have to take the Hippocratic oath. Convenient, eh? IIRC, the oath included the phrase to "first do no harm". Anyone like to guess what the first thing that happens is when one ingests a medical drug?

Rant over, except that I'd like to say that anyone who doubts the efficacy of diet (herbs included, which are simply "targeted" foods, rich in trace elements appropriate to whichever disease they appear to be intended for) in treating disease, you must have been exposed to at least one experience (probably very many) in your lifetime where a simple food has saved your butt from something. You simply missed it. I can tell you though, that once you start noticing this stuff, it's a fascinating and never-ending journey...
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Fact is, many Rx drugs are extracts in super refined form. I'm sure big pharma wants you to buy their stuff and does what it can to block over the counter stuff that works just as well if not better. Then again there is the question of dosage with self medicating and the companies that scam people with inflated claims and prices. What's a boy to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Give the Gorilla a big bunch of Bananas. Spot on, Magilla.

Fortunately, the dosage question is a fear instilled by those who'd grasp at any straw to protect their livelihoods, and that one keeps on giving. Most folks know that you take your life into your own hands by not following the directions on the meds bottle, right? What they don't know, is that herbs (food) and most health products (extracted from foods) are... food. Overdose all you like. Only your wallet will pay. All Cases of illness (no deaths) caused by "health store" products I've heard of here in Jungleville (Aus), and we have one every 4 or 5 years, seem to be attributable to contamination at the production / processing stage. That doesn't stop the medical fraternity from creating a song and dance about 'em, though. Heck, if we had to hear of every DEATH caused by their products, there'd be no time for anything else on the news services, and indeed, no space for conventional programming either. Talk about specs and logs!

Phew! Crikey, only 1 day back and I'm dispensing health advice again. I've been told it's my calling, but in reality it's been a necessary journey in dealing with a ridiculously vast set of poisonings and diseases since I was 2, so I claim no credit. It's just a bonus if anyone listens. :oops:

Did I mention that I love you guys? Just in case... I LOVE YOU!*

* Even you, Magilla!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
billf

Post by billf »

monkey man wrote:Rant over, except that I'd like to say that anyone who doubts the efficacy of diet (herbs included, which are simply "targeted" foods, rich in trace elements appropriate to whichever disease they appear to be intended for) in treating disease, you must have been exposed to at least one experience (probably very many) in your lifetime where a simple food has saved your butt from something. You simply missed it. I can tell you though, that once you start noticing this stuff, it's a fascinating and never-ending journey...
I've learned from direct experience that herbs (and foods, minerals and vitamins) absolutely have medicinal qualities, the challenge is to find a medical practitioner who is knowledgeable in the field and can tailor dosages and combinations. There are few MD's who do, but if you're lucky to find one, it's worth looking into.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Hard to disagree with that, Billy.

Back on topic for the thread:

We had a very cold spell in what was a cold winter. I run no heating (budget is for food, bills, rent and music gear only!), and usually the temp inside dips no lower than 9ºC, the record being 8, which has happened a few times. Last July it bottomed out at 4º for 3 days, a clear record. Now it's summer, and most days have been in the 20 to 24ºC range, the average of late being around 22-23 (72ºF). I keep hearing about world-wide records, but the last 5 years or so, apart from the odd transient spike, have been cool to downright cold here in Jungleville. Why can't we get some of the good stuff down here?

Geez. :?

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

That's toasty, MM. We had a really cold one the other night, -23°C (-9°F). That's COLD for this area of the US. Can't wait for summer. Gimme the sun and the sand! 8)

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I heard about that on the news, Phil-O-Soppy. You poor bugger.

Hey, at least your hands are "stuck" in the rubbin'-'em-together position already. Can't go wrong, eh?

You mantises have it so good; you can pray for warmth and rub for it at the same time.

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

New topic: Possible leave of abscess for the Monkster.

I don't know if anyone remembers, but several years back I lost the battle to prevent the installation of a "smart" electricity meter. One morning at 7:48 (strangely, all I remember is that it was early February; the year has escaped me), they rolled up and by the time I'd ventured to the front door to see what all the bangin' was about the old one had already been extricated. The whole job took them 7 minutes.

A large part of the reason I took that past few years off from here was that I had to minimise my time spent in my music room; it's the front-most one in the house, closest to that damned meter. I immediately started losing focus, the ability to make decisions, motivation and energy. Sleep became even more difficult to achieve (had insomnia since age 8).

So, I've spent the past few years sleeping on the couch in the back-most room, and spending most of my time there. It's the living room and joins the kitchen, which is just behind the music room. I did experience a month of severe chest pain last year where I was consigned to the couch for its duration. I had to live on pop corn for 10 days as I'd run out of food, but found a stash of the unpopped goodies in the pantry. I almost lost a tooth 'cause I eat them with vinegar, and the porous nature of 'em means that if one gets a piece stuck in one's teeth it'll continue to leach acid and bore its way in. I thought I had a tumour, then figured it was broken ribs (how?), until finally I determined that, although it felt deep, it was that tissue covering the ribs.

Turns out that the sudden increase in time spent here in the music room these past few weeks has brought my reaction / the exposure effects to a head. Here's what's happened. I'll try to keep it succinct; I've made extensive notes but will attempt some sort of point-form overview:

Indecision has increased; it's a challenge to decide on pretty-well everything.
Loss of focus has increased.
Heart palpitations have increased to perhaps 50 or more episodes a day.
Headaches have stretched for 3-5 days at a time. I'm getting a few hours off a week from them.
The headaches now extend down the neck and to the trapezius. Fun, fun, fun.
Tinnitus has always been severe, but it's increased a huge amount in level; I'd not have believed it could be this loud.
I'm wrecked. I can barely make it to the shops and have to rest at the chemist which is the first door presented when I get up the hill.
Agoraphobia has increased, as has nervous tension.
The 'phone, the dogs next door, rattles and bumps caused by the wind (not mine!) and so on scare the bejeezus out of me; it takes a few minutes each time to recover from the increased heart rate and chest tightness.
Rashes, which have been an auto-immune challenge for some time and which the olive leaf extract has done wonders to ameliorate, have become more adventurous as to when and where they sneakily appear.
Swelling. This is a classic. Never had it before the meter went in. Minimal episodes to begin with but building these past 3 years. At least, I think it's 3 years; I've put much thought into it and cannot remember how long it's been. Must be one of the symptoms that short-term memory is rooted; time just seems to slip away. Anyway, the past month has seen an increase in both the intensity and duration of the swellings. Now my legs, from the knees down, puff up like the Michelin Man™ and look like if you pricked 'em they'd pop. Kinda scary, especially the top of my feet becoming so high. Toes, fingers, ankles etc. are obviously affected too and also look like they wanna explode. All this happens within an hour to an hour and a half of entering this room.
EDIT: 1.5x.0.5" tumour or cyst appeared on my left shin over the last week. OK if I don't touch it. I tried pressing on it for a few secs the other day, as this is an old technique for relieving various muscle and pain-related issues, but it caused my entire lower leg to hurt for a day and a half. Won't be trying that again in a hurry!
Random joint and near-the-joint pains have appeared where no stresses or strains have been imposed.

Lastly, for those who have forgotten, just a reminder that I've never been able to tolerate mobile 'phones (cell 'phones in the US), Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and base-station 'phones. Oh, and microwave ovens. The onset-time and symptoms caused by each of the aforementioned varies, but is consistent for its type. Geez, I can't even watch 3D movies and haven't seen one since Metal Storm in 3D™ way back in, I think, 1984. Just mentioning this for some context. I knew there'd be issues, hence my plea to not have the thing installed. The government insisted 'though; it seems human rights are only respected when it's convenient. Hmm... Fear not, James, if you're reading this; I'll not give in to the temptation to go there.

So, the bottom line is that until I can figure something out (I'm at my wit's end on this and feel severely cheated / exploited / let down), I'll have to minimise the exposure as best I can. I have to "ride it". I mean, pot plants need watering just inside the front door and knocks from vendors and so on should be responded to. Further, I have to pass it for access to the passage(!) which joins the bathroom and the rest of the house. Personally I only use the back door for entry and exit (no funny gags, please). I feel I simply must continue to visit my beloved 'Cornies, but I'm afraid appearances will be both brief and costly.

PS: As if all this weren't enough, my electricity bills have almost tripled, starting with the very first post-installation. The story of my life, really, and you'd think I'd be "used" to it by now, but these days I do seriously wonder how much more "ironic" bad luck and suffering I can endure.

Please feel free to change the topic sans any response; I'm not convinced words can provide the sort of relief I require. Leaving the room provides a release that, IMHO, could only be surpassed by being dumped on a remote island or in the middle of the jungle somewhere... like Jungleville's outer limits. LOL
Last edited by monkey man on Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Have you thought about shielding it somehow. Some sort of modified Faraday cage or somethin'?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Smart meters have ended up in the courts here. The result is that people can refuse to have them, and a very small number have, but they have to pay to have the old meters read.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8